#16 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

should be fired by the NFL

explain to me the process by which costas is fined by a private entity he doesn't work for.

How dare he pollute my football with political propaganda.

Using a tragedy to promote a political view is poo

How is "hey maybe people with violent history shouldn't be allowed to buy guns" a political view?

shouldn't that be like, you know, common sense?

i mean in a year where mentally disturbed people have been buying guns and capping people left and right I'd think most gun owners would want to limit the possession of guns to people capable of making the whole community look worse than they already do.

#17 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

My opinion of Costas was significantly reduced by this. Not for what he said but rather the completely inappropriate when he said it.

Costas is a journalist and its his job to have opinions and to put them out in the public arena but its also his job to know that there is a time and a place for those opinions.

#18 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Costas is a journalist and its his job to have opinions and to put them out in the public arena but its also his job to know that there is a time and a place for those opinions.

The aftermath of a situation that could have been prevented by reasonable gun control laws is not appropriate?

why not?

the only reason I can imagine is that it makes the "if the mother/baby/grandmother had a gun this wouldn't have happened" crowd look bad.

#19 ckad79

ckad79

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

The #1 rule of gun violence is that "now" is never the time nor place to talk about gun violence.

Costas broke that rule.

#20 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,336 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

I agree with everything Bob Costas said...

#21 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

db went on an anti gun rant during a game

should be fired by the NFL

He doesn't work for the NFL

#22 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

The #1 rule of gun violence is that "now" is never the time nor place to talk about gun violence.

Costas broke that rule.

We have to restrict the conversation to the 90 day or so period between jaw dropping acts of gun violence.

#23 MCCNASTY

MCCNASTY

Smackalicious

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationClose, Very Close

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

People that are capable of murder and commit murder for whatever reason are going to do it regardless of the tool they use. They always have and always will.

#24 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just change your name from csx to Mr. Negative...

Because all you post is negativity towards the person starting the thread. It's a tired act...and it's not even close to being funny...

Clean it up

Of all the people in the world to comment on negative posts.

And I'm not attempting to be funny.

#25 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

The aftermath of a situation that could have been prevented by reasonable gun control laws is not appropriate?

why not?

the only reason I can imagine is that it makes the "if the mother/baby/grandmother had a gun this wouldn't have happened" crowd look bad.

I'm not taking issue with what he said, simply when he said it.

IF he just had to say something last night, then the gravity of the situation would have dictated that it be the first thing he said during the broadcast. By waiting until halftime he sent the message that it wasn't as important as any of the other minutia that he spoke on in the pregame.

Beyond that its bad form in my opinion to mix politics and sporting events. Bob has got a number of venues where this would have been a wholly appropriate topic and one that I would have been grateful to read/hear his opinion on the matter. This just isn't it.

#26 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

People that are capable of murder and commit murder for whatever reason are going to do it regardless of the tool they use. They always have and always will.

Dunno how this is quantifiable. We don't hear about the people who didn't kill someone because it wasn't as easy as shooting. It takes a certain sicko to use a knife or other hand weapon, whereas a gun is easy: point and pull.

#27 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,336 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Nope.

Look at the countries we share space with

http://www.nationmas...per-100-000-pop

If we compared England to the United States they are almost equal to us (per capita) when it comes to violent crimes when guns are excluded.

When you factor in gun violence our numbers skyrocket.

So yes violent crimes will always happen. The greatest country in the world shouldnt have a gun murder rate only slightly worse than Zimbabwe and Mexico

#28 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

I only caught the tail end of it, but do you think just maybe it was planned into the program by the producers and writers of the show? I have a hard time believing Costas just takes such liberties live in primetime and in front of millions

#29 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

It takes a lot less conviction to pull a trigger and shoot someone in the head than taking a bat or a knife and getting dirty.

#30 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,647 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm having a great day.
Gonna ignore this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com