180 replies to this topic

#76 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

I'm glad we have YML to stepping up and filling the void left by sylvianlight. The TInderbox was missing the racist ignorant asshat role

You're welcome

#77 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I saw yesterday that this guy has a paid for apartment from the gov't and receives SS checks. Yet he's out with his shoes off panhandling. Classic Obama voter

#78 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

It seems there are three competing themes in this thread.

1. Homeless people are scum. To hell with em.

2. I will always give money to someone desparate enough to ask. It's people who refuse to do this who are scum.

And then there is the sensible one....

3. Every homeless person is a different story. Maybe it was drugs. Maybe it was tragedy. Maybe it was just laziness. Regardless, if you give them money, they aren't going to spend it on anything good. Do you want that person to spiral further into hell with another bottle of booze, or do you want that person to stop conning people and figure out that there's more to life than the next bottle of booze?

#79 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Seems the homeless barefoot bum...is nothing more than just a bum

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1212779

He wasn't barefoot...for a time...and seems that he's not homeless either.

Did he tell anyone (the officer, the person taking the photo, the reporter who interviewed him) that he was homeless? Perhaps some big assumptions were made.

#80 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

No...officer did everything right. The homeless guy is "stealing" from someone that truly needs it though. This is what's so depressing about true charitable giving and how those people are taken advantage of and WHY people question direct charitable giving to individuals that they have absolutely no information about.

I'll still donate...in fact I'll be working this weekend AT a Walmart asking for donations towards gifts to kids.

Why is it stealing? The officer did something he thought was a good thing to do. The guy was offered a gift, and he took it ... a gift; he didn't steal anything.

And, just because he lives in a halfway-type house doesn't mean he's got it made now.

#81 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

It seems there are three competing themes in this thread.

1. Homeless people are scum. To hell with em.

2. I will always give money to someone desparate enough to ask. It's people who refuse to do this who are scum.

And then there is the sensible one....

3. Every homeless person is a different story. Maybe it was drugs. Maybe it was tragedy. Maybe it was just laziness. Regardless, if you give them money, they aren't going to spend it on anything good. Do you want that person to spiral further into hell with another bottle of booze, or do you want that person to stop conning people and figure out that there's more to life than the next bottle of booze?

Why is it "sensible" to assume that every single one of these people is an alcoholic and will never spend your charitable contribution on "anything good"? Why is that cynical viewpoint "sensible"? It's a huge, wide brush.

Do what you want, but I prefer to think that at least some people in desperate situations are doing whatever they can to survive, and they aren't worthless drunkards.

#82 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Conning = stealing

#83 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Why is it "sensible" to assume that every single one of these people is an alcoholic and will never spend your charitable contribution on "anything good"? Why is that cynical viewpoint "sensible"? It's a huge, wide brush.

Do what you want, but I prefer to think that at least some people in desperate situations are doing whatever they can to survive, and they aren't worthless drunkards.

When they stop asking me for just enough money to buy booze and start asking me for a sandwich.

#84 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

When they stop asking me for just enough money to buy booze and start asking me for a sandwich.

You're full of huge assumptions. My suggestion is that you ignore them all. Period. Make like they're invisible.

#85 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Panthro says I am an ignorant racist because I agree with this. Lol

#86 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

The thing is I try to put myself in their shoes. Would I just go up and ask strangers for two bucks? No, I wouldn't. I'd ask people if I could sweep up their store or parking lot for five bucks. I'd go to Labor Force and work that day for 50 bucks. If I was hungry I'd ask the restaurants not to throw away food at the end of the night (all of them do), to give it to me and I'd take out their trash or something.

#87 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

The thing is I try to put myself in their shoes. Would I just go up and ask strangers for two bucks? No, I wouldn't. I'd ask people if I could sweep up their store or parking lot for five bucks. I'd go to Labor Force and work that day for 50 bucks. If I was hungry I'd ask the restaurants not to throw away food at the end of the night (all of them do), to give it to me and I'd take out their trash or something.

Exactly. If they offer to work, I'll hook them up. Even if it is just watching my car downtown for an hour.. fug it. If asked while I'm walking I'll offer to buy some food and most of the time they don't take me up on it.

#88 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,718 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Panthro says I am an ignorant racist because I agree with this. Lol

no one called you an ignorant racist so quit trying to bum sympathy off of people when you haven't earned it. and have the decency to reply to the answers i posted to your carefully-constructed numerical spelling-out of the fact that obama is my boy and fug the poor

#89 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,394 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

http://en.wikipedia....False_pretenses

Fair point on assumptions made regarding how he was determined to be "homeless". Did he say he was homeless?

By the way...this law can/could be applied here in NC for panhandlers that are outright lying to you. There was this guy near Garner, NC that was at corner of Ten-Ten and 401 wearing an old suit, a huge wooden cross around his neck on a rope, and had a picture of a family with his placard stating that he was a preacher out of work and a family to support. Come to find out he was nothing of the sort, had no family, and was on the sexual predator database.

#90 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm glad we have YML to stepping up and filling the void left by sylvianlight. The TInderbox was missing the racist ignorant asshat role

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com