39 replies to this topic

#1 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

So for the handful of music lovers that happen to follow the grammys (I know many don't give a poo) ...the nominations were handed out tonight.

I'll do the big 4 categories:

Record of the Year
- Lonely Boy: The Black Keys
-Stronger: Kelly Clarkson
- We Are Young: Fun
- Somebody That I Used To Know: Gotye
- Thinkin Bout You: Frank Ocean
- We Are Never Getting Back Together: Taylor Swift

Album of the Year
- El Camino: The Black Keys
- Some Nights: Fun
-Babel: Mumford & Sons
- Channel Orange: Frank Ocean
- Blunderbuss: Jack White

Song of the Year
- The A Team: Ed Sheeran
- Adorn: Miguel
- Call Me Maybe: Carly Rae Jepsen
- Stronger: Kelly Clarkson
- We Are Young: Fun.

Best New Artist
-Alabama Shakes
- Fun.
- Hunter Hayes
- The Lumineers
-Frank Ocean

All the categories: http://www.grammy.com/nominees

Biggest surprises to me was no best new artist nom for Ed Sheeran, Frank Ocean (MUCH deserved) and Miguel getting best song nom (Also much deserved. Awesome album)

#2 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,788 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Ed Sheeran getting robbed at Album of the Year and New Artist. Bullsh*t!!

#3 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Yes album of the year as well

#4 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hunter Hayes and whoever the Alabama group is getting nommed over Ed Sheeran. Hahaha.

And Call Me Maybe going for SOTY -_-

Maybe Ed doesn't count towards this year's noms because his album release was fairly late in the US, while A Team released as a single before hand? I dunno...

#5 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I think thats the same reason there was nothing for Kendrick Lamar in the rap categories.

#6 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,984 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Call Me Maybe for song of the year? I thought the Grammy's were respectable?

#7 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

I think thats the same reason there was nothing for Kendrick Lamar in the rap categories.

Yeah, there's a cutoff date.

#8 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Call Me Maybe for song of the year? I thought the Grammy's were respectable?

flabbergasted

#9 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Also mildly surprised that B.o.B's Strange Clouds didn't get any rap noms.

#10 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

I'm a country and rock fan so I really don't know who most of these people are. I REALLY don't understand why the Grammy's are sucking Hunter Haye's dick though. From what I've seen all of the nominations are a huge joke.

#11 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

My dad won a Grammy a while back so I get tickets every year and I get to vote for the nominees. This year was probably one of the worst and least interesting of all time.

I liked channel orange and el camino, neither would even sniff the album of the year in recent years. Funs album is pretty good too, those guys really have some talent.

Sheeran is talented, but in this business, people get bored of just some guy with an acoustic guitar.

It really isn't that fugging hard to right catchy finger picking songs on an acoustic, trust me.

#strugglingmusicianrant

#12 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

Sheeran is talented, but in this business, people get bored of just some guy with an acoustic guitar.

It really isn't that fugging hard to right catchy finger picking songs on an acoustic, trust me.

#strugglingmusicianrant

I should neg rep you for bagging on the most talented musician of our generation, I really should.

To write his music off simply as "catchy" is ridiculous. He has some of the deepest, most lyrically entrancing and genius tracks that have ever been released in the acoustic genre.

#13 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,429 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

Television is entertainment and filling a few hours of television with actual musicians and artists who really play instruments and honestly have a message behind their music is not going to pull sponsors or viewers.

However, take those same few hours and fill them with pre-packaged, lip-syncing, auto-tuning, good looking kids who have no idea what a bridge, chorus, open-G tuning or syncopation are and you have yourself a hit TV show making millions from sponsors. And after all, isn't that what TV is really all about?

Before the days of major TV deals with millions and millions of dollars at stake, the Grammys actually meant something. When people purchased entire albums so they could hear the breadth of music contained in those 12 or 14 songs and understand the musician's concept in building that album. 'Dark Side of the Moon' had meaning, 'Tommy' was a story, 'Purple Rain' and 'Songs in the Key of Life' were just that- what life was all about.

Today? Album of the Year likely means nothing more than a certain release had 3 songs downloaded more than the next guy's. Of course, nobody knows anything about the other 11 songs on the release because nobody bothered to buy the download and listen to anything else.

#14 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

I should neg rep you for bagging on the most talented musician of our generation, I really should.

To write his music off simply as "catchy" is ridiculous. He has some of the deepest, most lyrically entrancing and genius tracks that have ever been released in the acoustic genre.

Hahaha oh no don't neg rep me for expressing my opinion! Please!

Do you write music? Or even play guitar? The dude has tons of talent but it really isn't that difficult to put together a song like his.

I've been trying for years to recreate the musical geniousness of Thom York and Radiohead. THAT is real talent, a talent that can't be duplicated. Ed Sheeran? I can't even tell you how many friends/ other artists sound just like him if not better.

All I'm trying to say is its harder to get noticed doing something that anyone can put together rather than doing something totally different and unique.

The dude is talented, but a group of guys creating musical fusion is MUCH more impressive and better sounding.

#15 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I don't have the distain that most seem to have for them, butIt is refreshing to see that the "boy bands" like One Direction and Bieber were snubbed, or at least that's what I heard on GMA this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com