• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#46 ncsu12engr

ncsu12engr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

That is because a large portion of our fan base are NC State fans.

Where is your basis for this statement? If anything its that a large portion of the fan base are UNC fans and everyone knows that UNC fans are fair weather fans.

#47 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,447 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

So that makes LA a bad sports city? I don't see the coorelation. Pittsburgh Steeler, Dallas Cowboy, NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, etc have simlar fanbases and I certainly wouldn't call those cities bad "sports towns".

Fwiw, I was being somewhat facetious with my first post. I don't really think that LA is a bad sports city, nor do I think that Charlotte is a bad sports city. Charlotte is just a lot smaller than most of the cities it is being compared to.

When I was growing up in NC, there was every bit as much fanatcism about sports as I saw in other areas when I got older and moved away. The difference was what sports they were fanatics about. I rarely if ever heard any conversations about the pro sports league. Everything was Duke/UNC/Wake/NCSU first, then NASCAR, occassionally college football, and then the pro sports.

Since Charlotte is a much smaller city than LA or NY or Philly, the Panthers have to draw fans from all over North and South Carolina. And since the fans in these states are nowhere near as devoted to the Panthers as they are to UNC or Clemson in South Carolina, they are not going to drive 2-3 hours to see a team that is as bad as we have been since 2008. The larger cities have several million people that can ride a subway to see their teams, so even if the teams suck, they still have a decent shot at filling up the stadium. And not only the stadiums, but the bars surrounding the stadiums.

But if UNC played basketball in the Bobcats arena, they would likely sellout just about ACC game. And if any fans of opposing teams showed up, they would likely have to pay significantly more for the tickets than they would going to a Panthers game.

That might make Charlotte a bad NFL town, but it doesn't make it a bad sports town.

#48 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Better than Buffalo

You misspelled "Huntersville"

#49 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• HUDDLER
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Trust me when I say Tampa is actually worse. Not going to diss on the die-hards, because the ones at the stadium are actually quite good at being fans and knowing how to impose home-field advantage, but their problem is, the majority of the folks here are completely apathetic when it comes to any sport.

It's an unusual occurrence when the game doesn't get blacked out, rather than the other way around.

#50 ZackAttack23

ZackAttack23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Miami is the worst.

#51 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Yep, it's well known Charlotte sucks as a pro sports town.

#52 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,141 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

It could be worst.... We could be Cleveland

Expcept they at least have an MLB team

#53 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Worst in the galaxy?

I don't know man, I heard the Uranus Plugs can be pretty crappy.

edit: drops mic

#54 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

You misspelled "Huntersville"

Lol

#55 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Expcept they at least have an MLB team

You mean the Indians are still around?

#56 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

it is puzzling why Cam isn't appreciated.

#57 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

If the Panthers put together a consistently winning product, then they would be just fine in attendance and support.

#58 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Where is your basis for this statement? If anything its that a large portion of the fan base are UNC fans and everyone knows that UNC fans are fair weather fans.

My basis is living in Raleigh for 30+ years and dealing with their constant self loathing, unrealistic expectations of what their sports teams should be, a constant feeling of dread that anything good will either collapse or go away, and their unhealthy obsession with schools other than their own because of their own insecurities.

Want proof. NC State just hired a wonderful football coach, yet if you go to there message board PackPride there is a thread that is 36 PAGES about an interview UNC coach Larry Fedora never had and a thread about UNC's associate AD for compliance resigning that has nothing to do with the recent NCAA inquiry has reached 44 PAGES.

The thread about their great new coach and staff. 6 pages.

You may be right about UNC fans. They may be fair weather fans. But State fans complain, bitch, and moan even in fair weather. That is why they fire a successful basketball coach (Sendek) and successful football coach (O'Brien). They always feel like it is bad weather. But, instead if lifting their programs up, they just wish ill will on other programs so they can be lowered to their level.

It is a sad existence really.

#59 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yeah Jacksonville crushes...

::rolls eyes::

Hey when we got the HORNETS downtown and perennial playoff appearances with Cam and the Boys it won't look as bad out there :)

#60 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

You guys got Nascar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.