Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With Joeckel likely gone, I think we got our next franchise LT..

32 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So being bored I was looking at Walterfootball for draft prospects outside the top 5 incase we pick closer to 8-12, I saw them mocking Taylor Lewan to Miami at 15, hes the next LT after Joeckel. So I went and dug up film on him on youtube and this guy is a absolute beast! This is a good 8 minute vid and he just manhandles his guy big time. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2EhJdcnRBxo

Thoughts on Taylor Lewan? I dont watch college ball so does anyone else know much about him? He looks like a stud in that vid

Posted · Report post

I honestly think A&M's RT Jake Matthews is better (including as a LT). He's extremely athletic, and really just needs to bulk up some. Has great instincts and footwork....

[yt]B7-owiN2l-g[/yt]
[yt]GvNBXbt-KaI[/yt]

Posted · Report post

Can someone tell me why we still talking OT? It's not even a need for us.

Let me list needs in order:
(1) FS
(2) DT
(3) WR
(4) RG
(5) CB
(6) OT

I love Lewan in a situation if we could trade down and get a 2nd rd in return. But to just single handily take an OT in the 1st is NUTS!
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolina-chuck' timestamp='1355199284' post='2041503']

(1) FS
(2) DT
(3) WR
(4) RG
(5) CB
(6) OT

I love Lewan in a situation if we could trade down and get a 2nd rd in return. But to just single handily take an OT in the 1st is NUTS!
[/quote]

I can somewhat agree. I would say WR maybe Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter in the 1st

Posted · Report post

:lol: how is OT not a need might I ask??

Posted · Report post

I am ALMOST as certain we're not taking a LT with our first pick in the draft as I was last year that we weren't going to take a MLB with our first pick...

Hopefully I'm right this time (not that I regret being wrong last time..).

Posted · Report post

(1) FS
(2) DT
(3) WR
(4) RG
(5) CB
(6) OT

[/quote]

I think CB should be higher on that list

Posted · Report post

You're suppose to draft your tackles early on. Joeckel and Warmack are the only can't miss prospects as far as offensive linemen go, I'm not really interested in any other names at this point.

If we find ourselves in the 6-10th pick range, we need to look at Dee milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Jonathan Hankins, chance Warmack.

Posted · Report post

(1) FS
(2) DT
(3) WR
(4) RG
(5) CB
(6) OT

[/quote]

This.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='C47' timestamp='1355199634' post='2041520']
:lol: how is OT not a need might I ask??
[/quote]

Because Gross is playing well, as is Bell.

Seems simple from where I'm sitting.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Everywhere else I read the analysts feel like we definitely need a LT. Gross is not the player he was and I don't think Bell is a longterm answer. Safety is the worst position on the field for the Panthers, but there is no one good enough to draft in the top 10.

Posted · Report post

Tom Coughlin has a philosophy..invest high round talent on both Offensive and defensive lines bc they can help mask other defencies on the team.

It worked in Jacksonville..Mark Brunell was avg but had some great games. Their Defensive line is stout....just as NYG is on offense. Eli is upright and they can run/pass on virtually anyone.

Its not sexy and the WR/DT cannot be ignored but the OT is top priority. This whole season would be different if our O-line play was solid.

If Gross could take a restructure and go to RT it would be an ideal situation drafting a LT. Now if a Jake Long is availible just shell out the cash...and draft best athlete at DT/WR. Go FS in top 3 rounds(NOT A CB TO CONVERT)
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TANTRIC-NINJA' timestamp='1355238550' post='2041904']
Tom Coughlin has a philosophy..invest high round talent on both Offensive and defensive lines bc they can help mask other defencies on the team.

It worked in Jacksonville..Mark Brunell was avg but had some great games. Their Defensive line is stout....just as NYG is on offense. Eli is upright and they can run/pass on virtually anyone.

Its not sexy and the WR/DT cannot be ignored but the OT is top priority. This whole season would be different if our O-line play was solid.

If Gross could take a restructure and go to RT it would be an ideal situation drafting a LT. Now if a Jake Long is availible just shell out the cash...and draft best athlete at DT/WR. Go FS in top 3 rounds(NOT A CB TO CONVERT)
[/quote]
Coughlin has addressed the DL just as much as the OL in the draft. this team hasnt picked an early DL since Everette Brown. the DL needs a young high pick added to it.and when the QB needed weapons he addressed those as well, with high picks in WRs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jackofalltrades' timestamp='1355226647' post='2041739']
Because Gross is playing well, as is Bell.

Seems simple from where I'm sitting.
[/quote]

Gross has been beat like a drum by pass rushers on a pretty regular basis this season actually....
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TANTRIC-NINJA' timestamp='1355238550' post='2041904']
[/quote]

Are you sure???? Bc it look to me like you're lying.

During Coughlin's time as the NYG HC, the only time he had ever taken an OL high in the Draft was William Beaty in the 2nd round of the 2009 Draft. I can't even tell you who else (OL) he has ever taken higher than a 3rd rd. The highest OL ever taken by Tom was Beaty.

Tom does his business on the Offensive Line through FA. (Kevin Boothe, Shawn Andrews, Stacey Andrews, Sean Locklear, Tony Ugoh, David Bass)

Posted · Report post

Panthers lose to Denver, Huddle says:
We need to cut Gross! He is through! Keep Kalil and get rid of the rest of em!

We win a game:
No way in hell do we need an OT!

Gotta love the Huddle

Posted · Report post

If the best OT isn't there (Joekel) then we need to go in a different direction. Our secondary is absolutely horrendous, but I think that with the right GM a good 2nd rounder can be found to play safety or corner. We have to acquire more options for Cam though and IMO Kenan Allen in the 8-12 range would be good value at a necessary position. So...if Joekel isn't there then I'm going Allen with that pick.

Another option would be to go DL and try to get a run stuffer like Hankins.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Lol Gross has been atrocious this season and is only aging more.

Some of you guys need to accept the John Fox era of this team is over and is never coming back.

You have an elite LT prospect on the board when you pick, you take it. Especially with the hope that we won't be in position to draft another for a very long time.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I want to like a receiver in this first this year. I really do. But I just can't. Not with this class. With luck, Woods is there in the 2nd.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stirs' timestamp='1355246581' post='2042067']
Panthers lose to Denver, Huddle says:
We need to cut Gross! He is through! Keep Kalil and get rid of the rest of em!

We win a game:
No way in hell do we need an OT!

Gotta love the Huddle
[/quote]

Yea that's probably coming out your mouth. People like me been and will call for a DT only.

Posted · Report post

and stop going to walterfootball you're poisoning your mind

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Growl' timestamp='1355246993' post='2042080']
I want to like a receiver in this first this year. I really do. But I just can't. Not with this class. With luck, Woods is there in the 2nd.
[/quote]

Yea I agree on taking a Woods and my favorite Patterson in the 2nd if they're there. I really think that these receivers can be good to great in the next level but no one really stands out as a top10 pick. Unless we could trade down and add another pick like a 2nd, I would not take a WR in the 1st.

Posted · Report post

If we end up picking around 10 I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we take someone like Chance Warmack or the top CB on the board and fill another need in the second.

I think a new GM is going to want to watch a full season himself and then decide we need to address WR next season. After 89 we have LaFell, Murphy, Edwards, Gettis, Adams, and Pilares. Granted, some of those guys likely won't be on the roster next year but I think it is a receiving cast that can be serviceable for another year.

I just think we have too many other big needs and drafting a WR in the first when there are no elite players at the position is a mistake. Would you rather add another WR to that crowded depth chart or sure up the interior of our line for years to come with Amini, Kalil, and Chance? I'm not saying I necessarily want Warmack but in the grand scheme of things I think he makes more sense than a WR. Do we draft another WR only to have Norman and an aging Gamble, who might be a cap casualty, or someone like Josh Thomas starting again? We could very well go Dee Milliner.

Right now it's just too early to say which direction we need/may go. I think it all depends on our draft position. If we are top 5 it's likely DT/OT...whichever is available. If its 8-12 we could go WR/CB/G/DT (second crop)/OT (second crop).

Either way I know one thing is for sure: We need to hit on our first two picks and be able for them to plug and play and make an instant impact if this team wants to have a shot at the division next year.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Growl' timestamp='1355246896' post='2042076']
Lol Gross has been atrocious this season and is only aging more.

Some of you guys need to accept the John Fox era of this team is over and is never coming back.

You have an elite LT prospect on the board when you pick, you take it. Especially with the hope that we won't be in position to draft another for a very long time.
[/quote]

Exactly, I just don't understand what people are watching to not think that the LT position is a huge liability on this team....

Posted · Report post

Brandon Albert would be nice.