Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christmas Traditions You Could live Without

62 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

December... in general.....

During my Navy career I was on duty or overseas for 16 Christmases.... and it has very little meaning to me, I have no kids and only my wife's family to deal with. So I donate and bear goodwill to my favorite charities and the peeps who work for me.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mrs Pantherfan' timestamp='1355259106' post='2042375']

so make sure there's only 5 gifts...and that cuts the time in half!!!

you're welcome!
[/quote]

Dammit... all these years of wasted time.

Posted · Report post

Going to see Santa tonite at the mall. I'm not complaining about the tradition but the mall....it sucks. It sucks donkey dicks. It sucks donkey balls. It felches donkey ass.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit' timestamp='1355258834' post='2042368']
I've thought about this while I read your posts and I think that my wife is the one that has turned me against all things Christmas... it's because everything has to be exactly perfect...

Everyone has to open their gifts one at a time and then talk about it... the TV can't be on... the tree has to be on at all times... on and on... everything has to be just right, instead of just having fun with it. I guess I just got to the point that I didn't care anymore. When I was a kid, we all just opened gifts and had fun instead of making it into some sort of ritual...

It's even worse when we used to have her parents over... her mom is the same way so it's like double the bullshit.

It takes like 2 hours to open 10 gifts. bleh
[/quote]

I love to slow things down a bit ... my SIL is so annoying. She wants to throw all the gifts to everybody all at one time, and have a free-for-all. I want to enjoy the look on my mother's face when she opens her gifts, and the excitement on my grand niece and grand nephew's faces when they open and play with (albeit just a minute) with a new toy or thumb through a new book.

What's wrong with savoring the moments. They are very fleeting. (My mother's 83 and reminds us every year that it may be her last; one day, she'll be right.)

I stopped SIL from being "Santa" when I realized all she wanted to do was get through it as quickly as possible at Mom's house so she could run off to her family's and play board games all day and night. Another half-hour at our house isn't going to hurt her.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='catfang' timestamp='1355259492' post='2042386']
Going to see Santa tonite at the mall. I'm not complaining about the tradition but the mall....it sucks. It sucks donkey dicks. It sucks donkey balls. It felches donkey ass.
[/quote]

For some reason I get the impression that you don't care for the mall... not really sure how I know that though...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthers_Lover' timestamp='1355259870' post='2042396']

I love to slow things down a bit ... my SIL is so annoying. She wants to throw all the gifts to everybody all at one time, and have a free-for-all. I want to enjoy the look on my mother's face when she opens her gifts, and the excitement on my grand niece and grand nephew's faces when they open and play with (albeit just a minute) with a new toy or thumb through a new book.

What's wrong with savoring the moments. They are very fleeting. (My mother's 83 and reminds us every year that it may be her last; one day, she'll be right.)

I stopped SIL from being "Santa" when I realized all she wanted to do was get through it as quickly as possible at Mom's house so she could run off to her family's and play board games all day and night. Another half-hour at our house isn't going to hurt her.
[/quote]

Yeah, I hear you, but there's a difference between wanting to enjoy it and having to make it be absolutely perfect every single year.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='bLACKpANTHER' timestamp='1355257545' post='2042340']
take a piece of bread or two and put them in the closed tin container over night. In the morning you will have found the bread is all hard and the cookie are nice and soft instead of dried out

you're welcome :)
[/quote]

Learned that trick from my girl friend about 25 years ago but thanks anyway.

By the way it doesnt help a bit with the co mingled flavors nor do the cookies miracuously put themselves back together from the crumbs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit' timestamp='1355259966' post='2042401']

Yeah, I hear you, but there's a difference between wanting to enjoy it and having to make it be absolutely perfect every single year.
[/quote]

Agreed ... and trust me, nothing's ever perfect at our house. Always some craziness going on, some bitchin' going on, etc.

Decorating the tree was a real treat ... Mom was in rare form this time in being "Madam Director" trying to tell everyone exactly where to put what ornament and icicle. We shut her down!

Posted · Report post

I do hate that the time is rushed. Between my wife and I's families we have to go to five different places, and the quality of time at each will suffer so that we can get to the next place.

Posted · Report post

I friggin love Christmas.

This year is the first time my wife will be away from her parents at Christmas so we are trying to start our own tradition.

Pry the one thing I am going to have to give up on is It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas Eve....she saw it for the first time last year and was ht or miss on it. Meanwhile I'm balling like baby new year.

Christmas fug Yeah!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1355260222' post='2042410']
I friggin love Christmas.

This year is the first time my wife will be away from her parents at Christmas so we are trying to start our own tradition.

Pry the one thing I am going to have to give up on is [b]It's a Wonderful Life[/b] every Christmas Eve....she saw it for the first time last year and was ht or miss on it. Meanwhile I'm balling like baby new year.

Christmas fug Yeah!
[/quote]

I saw it for the first time, in its entirety, last weekend.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Klong' timestamp='1355260151' post='2042407']
I do hate that the time is rushed. Between my wife and I's families we have to go to five different places, and the quality of time at each will suffer so that we can get to the next place.
[/quote]

That's crazy... I say make it your own holiday and if people want to come see you then so be it.