• Please log in to reply
511 replies to this topic

#381 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• LocationCharlotte
SUPPORTER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

On topic as a reference to the tragedy - Has anyone seen the movie 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'? It reminds me a lot of this tragedy in how it has played out so far.

#382 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I have stayed away from this thing, but I want to make one small point.

IMO, the media is as much to blame for the increase in this type of behavior as anything.

Many kids/young adults feel alone, like they don't matter, no one would miss them, etc....

This type of violence gives them the stage, a way to shout out to everyone that they do matter. If the media didn't go hog wild on this stuff, I bet the instances would slow down.

#383 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

It should come as no surprise that the rate of mass shootings at schools and in other public places is increasing. The surge has nothing to do with guns, which have been widely available in the U.S. for years. Gun control laws have been increasing. Instead, there is a direct correlation between the increase in violence and the gradual degradation of morals, ethics and parenting. We are cultivating mental illness in our society.
Parents are allowing television and video games to increasingly babysit their children, even though both have become full of gratuitous violence. A New York Times study of rampage killers found that six of them were into violent video games. Research shows that violent video games and television desensitize people and promote aggressive behavior, despite claims to the contrary. A research scientist at the University of Michigan found that television was responsible for 10% of youth violence. Parents today are neglecting their children, and when things don't go well, rushing to get divorced instead of trying to work things out first. Children suffer emotionally when their parents fight or split up. Parents are ignoring their children so much they don't even see the warning signs that something might be wrong. The New York Times study found that 63 of 100 rampage killers had made threats of violence before the event.

When i was growing up we blamed heavy metal music.

#384 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

A New York Times study of rampage killers found that six of them were into violent video games.

What percentage of normal young people are into violent video games. Probably 60%.

All these studies I find specious.

You know what I bet? I bet he was mentally unstable but driven over the edge by psycho-stimulants or antidepressants. Just watch. THAT is what is different than 30 years ago.

#385 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Pssst video games are a problem....if you are a sociopath

#386 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Bartlesville High School student arrested in school-shooting plot

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworl..._0_BARTLE641724

#387 Hawk

Hawk

Banned

Moderators

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I have stayed away from this thing, but I want to make one small point.

IMO, the media is as much to blame for the increase in this type of behavior as anything.

Many kids/young adults feel alone, like they don't matter, no one would miss them, etc....

This type of violence gives them the stage, a way to shout out to everyone that they do matter. If the media didn't go hog wild on this stuff, I bet the instances would slow down.

amen to this!! I 100% totally agree with you...in fact, I just posted the same topic on facebook this morning.

#388 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

What percentage of normal young people are into violent video games. Probably 60%.

All these studies I find specious.

You know what I bet? I bet he was mentally unstable but driven over the edge by psycho-stimulants or antidepressants. Just watch. THAT is what is different than 30 years ago.

It's a higher percentage than that. Somewhere close to 80%, the enjoy shooters, is what I read, with 99% of boys and 96% of girls playing video games of any sort.

#389 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

You could go a step further with social media etc. We might be connected digitally but we aren't as connected emotionally. That's key because the ability for a community to connect creates not just closeness but a proper value one anothers life. If you are isolated from others it makes it easier to not value them and thus could make it easier to kill.

There are just a host of factors at play. At some point like the game Tetris the stacking of all the factors come crashing don at some point.

#390 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• LocationGitmo
HUDDLER

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Pssst guns are a problem....if you are a sociopath

Fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users