• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#106 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I want someone like Harbaugh. A very good offensive mind who can be hands on with a young QB, is energetic and values a dominant defense.

I really don't care what side of the ball they come from, but conservatism here has run it's course. I want someone who wants to dominate on both sides of the ball and knows where his strength lies.

that's why i like kelly so much.

the problem that has been with kelly's defense and probably my biggest and only concern about the tempo of kelly's uptempo philosophy is that it puts a lot of pressure on the defense being on the field a lot. if you score quick then the D is going to be on the field a lot. he tries to compensate bu having more D players than O players so they can be cycled out more and stay a bit fresher, but the benefit is that because they are in his program, they have to keep at the same pace as the offense and their endurance level is always higher than other teams. also if you score a lot, teams are going to be always pushing to keep up on the scoreboard and are usually more aggressive.

the key is to have a good defensive mind with a lot of control over the defense, but who can also keep up with the pace of kelly's program and can deal with aggressive offenses playing from behind or tempo-disrupting ball control offenses that try to keep kelly's offense off the field (which is partly why i think shaw was successful against him).

#107 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Why doesn't Chip Kelly have a neck?

his brain takes up too much room.

#108 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Some of you say that Chip Kelly wouldn't stick to the read option, that he can adjust his offense, but I never seen this man run anything different than the read option. If he adjusted his offense, it would be the first time in his career.

#109 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Kelly is widely considered a pretty bright offensive mind. Also widely assumed he would alter his scheme pretty heavily. The main thing about his offense is tempo. Billicheat had a lot of respect.

100% on target.

he's innovative, adaptable, and incredibly smart.

the tempo and aggressiveness is the biggest draw, though. and not just on offense, either. the tempo is there for the whole team as is the endurance level.

coach fast.

play fast.

outlast.

#110 Dunn

Dunn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Have there been any talks of Keeping Rivera as a DC here as a step down in the organization? Would he take that if offered I wonder, since his beginning record as a HC isn't steller.

#111 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,506 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

This truism has been illustrated by the Patriots, who went into the offseason figuring that their dink-and-dunk spread offense had run its course. They knew they needed to stay ahead of the NFL, so they spent time with Oregon coach Chip Kelly in an effort to understand how he runs his no-huddle run game. They invested additional time in becoming more physical with their line and, naturally, they added more tight ends.

BB reached out to Chip in the offseason.

#112 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,263 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Have there been any talks of Keeping Rivera as a DC here as a step down in the organization? Would he take that if offered I wonder, since his beginning record as a HC isn't steller.

there haven't been any talks because it'll never happen.

#113 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Who did they hear this from?

Some drunk doucher at the bar?

#114 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

That pretty much never happens.

If he stays here, it'll be as head coach. If he goes back to being a DC, it'll be with another team.

#115 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I just don't believe in putting a guy in a position, because he said would adjust to the NFL. It's like electing someone for president based on their promises, when everything they did prior to the election was contrary. Who's fault is it then when this person fails to do what he said? People keep bringing up Belichick, how he borrowed Oregon's tempo on offense. The Patriots have an established, future HOF QB playing for them. Cam is still developing. He's still working on pocket presence and anticipation. Bringing in a college offense will set him back. Besides, it's not like the Patriots now run the full Oregon offense. They just infused some elements into their overall offense. If we hire Kelly, we are bringing the Oregon offense to Carolina, and we saw what Stanford's defense did to that vaunted offense.

Until someone can give me evidence of Kelly adjusting to a pro style offense, give me a youtube clip of that offense running something other than the read option, I don't want to hear about his false promises of adjusting his system. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then it's an Oregon duck.

#116 iampantherman

iampantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

If, after going to the trouble of hiring a consultant to make sure we hired the right GM, we then cut that GM's legs out from under him by hiring a head coach without him having any say in the hiring, I would unapologetically call this franchise the stupidest organization in the NFL.

Sounds like JR to me. Let's hope it doesn't go down like that. GOD!

#117 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

How could they be "hearing" anything when we don't even have a GM?

/thread

#118 redbuddha

redbuddha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I just don't want an Oregon offense here. We obviously see what Cam can do when we limit the read option college bullcrap. When we run the ball and use play action (traditional) Cam is a beast and we put up points. I'm afraid that Chip would bring his scheme here and we would have a Chud type problem again...

Chip knows how to win games and championships. He can adapt for the rest.

#119 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

100% on target.

he's innovative, adaptable, and incredibly smart.

the tempo and aggressiveness is the biggest draw, though. and not just on offense, either. the tempo is there for the whole team as is the endurance level.

coach fast.

play fast.

outlast.

Yes, but no one knows what a non read option Kelly offense would be.....and if it would even work. That is his bread and butter and works great in college. I think he has a higher bust rate at the NFL level than many.....a leap of faith he can do what so many can't. At least Harbaugh didn't come to the NFL and attempted to reinvent his offensive approach.

#120 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Chip knows how to win games and championships. He can adapt for the rest.

Steve Spurrier was though of in the same aspect.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.