Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offensive Minds to Bring In

30 posts in this topic

Posted

the scheme here is great. That part is great.

The playcalling, I think, gets too cute. It gets too pass-oriented.

And if Cam is having a struggle here and there, he's passing 60% of the time, and then 3 out of every 4 runs are some sort of trick or an option, he's still having to carry the team 90% of the time on his decisions. That's changed lately - the shorter passes don't put the pressure on Cam to hit a home run (so he's not holding the ball, waiting for Smith) and a little less than half option runs give Cam fewer reads.

Not that he can't read the field, but he's young. And it's OK to not make him be the decider on every play. It's OK to take a little pressure off.

As for the shorter passes, I don't think that's changed other than the coaching points. The playcalls are still the same, just as last year. They're just having him get it out faster.

Definitely agree with Mr. Scot. Coryell all the way.

But, under a new staff, that does limit things. There aren't any good HC prospects from the system - Jay Gruden (maybe, they attribute him to WCO but even John wasn't very WCO by Tampa), or Mark Roman (49ers). Norv is there, but he's not going to be a head coach and it's implausible that a new head coach would specifically go after him.

And here I thought you were a WCO guy. Maybe it's just that you like it better than I do :lol:

Martz is still available, isn't he?

(I'm kidding on that)

Posted

Is our offense improving because Cam is playing better or is Cam playing better because the coach is coaching differently? Or is it some of each?

I'd say directly it's about 25% the former and 75% the latter. Indirectly it's been 100% playcalling and coaching. There's been an obvious change in playcalling, much less of those crappy read option plays that take 10 seconds to develop and give the defense a chance to tackle both Cam and whoever he might hand it off to. And I think the difference in Cam's play has been a result of him being able to get in a rhythm easier. I don't think "some lightbulb went on" that made him just start playing better. He's playing better because the playcalling is allowing him to.

Posted

I always did love the WCO. Funny enough, the 99 team did more or less what this team does very well - get a lot of yards on 1st down and build off that. But, I grew to prefer the reasoning behind the Coryell stuff over the last few years (including seeing Harbaugh in '09,10). I like the deep ball and Coryell stuff tends to run more (and definitely disguises a lot).

Martz, and Cam Cameron. I think Cameron got the scapegoat end of the Ravens deal, though I more or less knew that Caldwell was crap anyway. Hue Jackson might be gettable if, say, Zimmer does go but Jay Gruden doesn't. I like Hue a lot.

hope you're doing well.

Posted

I always did love the WCO. Funny enough, the 99 team did more or less what this team does very well - get a lot of yards on 1st down and build off that. But, I grew to prefer the reasoning behind the Coryell stuff over the last few years (including seeing Harbaugh in '09,10). I like the deep ball and Coryell stuff tends to run more (and definitely disguises a lot).

Martz, and Cam Cameron. I think Cameron got the scapegoat end of the Ravens deal, though I more or less knew that Caldwell was crap anyway. Hue Jackson might be gettable if, say, Zimmer does go but Jay Gruden doesn't. I like Hue a lot.

hope you're doing well.

I'm still alive :)

2 people like this

Posted

No west coast offense

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if Turner is brought in as an assistant and they keep Rivera and Chud. Rivera said that it was a mistake to not bring in an assistant who has head coaching experience and Turner said he wanted to go somewhere where he has worked with the other coaches before. It would unite him with his son as well.

As for scheme, why would you change horses in the middle of the stream when we are built for the Coryell and frankly have run it very successfully. The worse thing we could do to Camis change systems and make him learn the WCO for example. It might not take him five years like Vick to learn it but it would surely take 1 or 2.

Posted

Its AMAZING how last year Chud and Rivera were " Gods" in the eyes of sooo many fans and this year everyone is calling for their heads.

oh u got a point there. solid post

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if Turner is brought in as an assistant and they keep Rivera and Chud. Rivera said that it was a mistake to not bring in an assistant who has head coaching experience and Turner said he wanted to go somewhere where he has worked with the other coaches before. It would unite him with his son as well.

As for scheme, why would you change horses in the middle of the stream when we are built for the Coryell and frankly have run it very successfully. The worse thing we could do to Camis change systems and make him learn the WCO for example. It might not take him five years like Vick to learn it but it would surely take 1 or 2.

what father would not want that opportunity?

ofcourse all I've heard in the media is.................."Norv heading back to dallas"

btw.......what coaches are at dallas that Norv has worked with?

Posted

i dont want chud to leave. I think hes been on the money lately.

Posted

i dont want chud to leave. I think hes been on the money lately.

Posted

what father would not want that opportunity?

ofcourse all I've heard in the media is.................."Norv heading back to dallas"

btw.......what coaches are at dallas that Norv has worked with?

I could find 4 coaches he worked with.

The big one is Rob Ryan who he worked with in Oakland in 2004 and 2005.

He also worked with strength and conditioning coach, Mike Woicik, in Dallas in the 90s. Woicik also worked in New England, the Saints, and back with Dallas.

He worked with Skip Peete in Washington.

He coached the special teams/kicker Chris Boniol coach when he was a kicker for him in Dallas.

Someone else might have more.

Posted

I could find 4 coaches he worked with.

The big one is Rob Ryan who he worked with in Oakland in 2004 and 2005.

He also worked with strength and conditioning coach, Mike Woicik, in Dallas in the 90s. Woicik also worked in New England, the Saints, and back with Dallas.

He worked with Skip Peete in Washington.

He coached the special teams/kicker Chris Boniol coach when he was a kicker for him in Dallas.

Someone else might have more.

Thanks for the info

if it is truely a choice between big D and big C..........

he's coming to Charlotte.