164 replies to this topic

#136 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Cam should have, at most, 2 designed QB runs per game. I don't watch college ball, but it sounds like Kelly runs some kind of full time option scheme, and that's the exact opposite of what we need.

Kelly himself said he'd have to create a different O style for the pros. BUT in his current college scheme, the QB gets FAR less carries. They rely on their backs to do the running. I'd imagine our O would be similar to the Pats, but with wrinkles to fit Cams overall abilities.

#137 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,722 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Then he sounds good to me.

#138 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Kelly himself said he'd have to create a different O style for the pros. BUT in his current college scheme, the QB gets FAR less carries. They rely on their backs to do the running. I'd imagine our O would be similar to the Pats, but with wrinkles to fit Cams overall abilities.

With all due respect, I don't think our offense would be anything like the Pats'. Brady has near zero mobility while Cam has unlimited mobility. If Kelly came here, he would make Cam's dual threat ability the centerpiece of the offense.

Whether that is a good or bad thing is open to debate.

#139 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

With all due respect, I don't think our offense would be anything like the Pats'. Brady has near zero mobility while Cam has unlimited mobility. If Kelly came here, he would make Cam's dual threat ability the centerpiece of the offense.

I think a lot of it would, and Cam would have a longer career as a result.
Cam runs in moderation added of course, Brady is a sloth compared to Cam.

http://www.bostonglo...rN6J/story.html

#140 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

What KG said.

The Pats are already running a form similar to what Kelly would run. And as I stated above they'd add wrinkles to fit Cams overall abilities (his running).

#141 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,602 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

i think it would be a centerpiece, but more of a ruse.

cam would be used enough as a runner to warrant the defense always needing to have someone spying on him but use that threat to open up other options.

that's essentially what he does at oregon...not with the QB running the ball, but the option and the dual threat runner (RB or QB...whose it gonna be?)

#142 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

i think it would be a centerpiece, but more of a ruse.

cam would be used enough as a runner to warrant the defense always needing to have someone spying on him but use that threat to open up other options.

that's essentially what he does at oregon...not with the QB running the ball, but the option and the dual threat runner (RB or QB...whose it gonna be?)

That's what I think too. And again, it's open to debate as to whether that is a good thing or not.

I have a lot of respect for you and many of the posters that have been pushing Kelly. I'm just not convinced that is the way to go.

The last 5 or 6 games we've played have demonstrated that our offense can be very effective using a more "conservative" scheme. Lot's of 2 TE, max protect, play action passing and power running, with a dose of read option and spread formations. We know this works. Why wouldn't we want to hire someone that runs this type scheme? It certainly wouldn't be because we can't score enough points, as this offense has been very explosive once we changed up game planning. And it comes with the added benefit of ball control, and that is still important in the NFL.

Many on here talk about Kelly's flexibility, and that he can adapt his offense to the players and the league, and that may be true. But you are asking us to take a leap of faith because we know what kind of offense we've seen Kelly run historically. That's a leap I'm just not ready to take yet.

#143 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

That's what I think too. And again, it's open to debate as to whether that is a good thing or not.

I have a lot of respect for you and many of the posters that have been pushing Kelly. I'm just not convinced that is the way to go.

The last 5 or 6 games we've played have demonstrated that our offense can be very effective using a more "conservative" scheme. Lot's of 2 TE, max protect, play action passing and power running, with a dose of read option and spread formations. We know this works. Why wouldn't we want to hire someone that runs this type scheme? It certainly wouldn't be because we can't score enough points, as this offense has been very explosive once we changed up game planning. And it comes with the added benefit of ball control, and that is still important in the NFL.

Many on here talk about Kelly's flexibility, and that he can adapt his offense to the players and the league, and that may be true. But you are asking us to take a leap of faith because we know what kind of offense we've seen Kelly run historically. That's a leap I'm just not ready to take yet.

2 TE passing scheme wasn't heavily used until NE used it. Guess who NE brought it to create them a super good offense highlighting Brady/Gronk/Hernandez? Omg Chip Kelly! Bring him here now. He will create an offense that maximizes success out of cam and the teams skill set. The traditional play action pass scheme works too but just like of an offense that works even better that is completely new and opposing defenses have no tape on next season. Taking candy from a baby. And guess what kelly transforms his offense during the game. So mid game adjustments for the other team? Forget about them. The other teams won't know what hit them. We have a chance for something beautiful but I feel a lot of people in this thread are very close minded(not you specifically) who think kelly will just run a college offensive. That's simply not true. Besides him being a great offensive mind/gameplanner he's a great leader something rivera is not.

#144 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,602 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

the thing is that aside from the tempo, there's really nothing all that "liberal" or whatever about what he does.

it's a lot of max protect, 2TE, play action, and power running. and it is a ball control, not in that they keep the ball for 30 minutes or whatever because they score fast, but it's not all that risky at all. when they get the ball, they score. it's trying to control the score rather than the clock.

when people say they know what kind of offense he runs and then say it's just a read option offense, i don't think they've actually done a lot of research into what they actually do. there is read option, but it's really not the big deal that people make it out to be. we may not run it now, but i think a lot of it has to do with chud calling the plays and not really having the best OL for much of anything right now.

it's really not that different than what we do now aside from the pace and the formations and, well, having someone that's more opportunistic than chud. it's running to set up the pass. again, i don't know what's so crazy about that.

but what really gets me about what we do now is that i don't trust rivera's game planning or management. i think kelly is much better at game management. he's a lot more cut throat. i also like the way kelly runs his team and his practices. i think the team would be a lot more practiced and prepared and disciplined with kelly.

people make far too big an issue about the read option. it's not the bugaboo people make it out to be.

#145 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Cam has one of the highest QB ratings the past 5-6 games in the league. Whatever we are doing now on offense...needs to stay that way...

We can talk about all the great things Kelly can do on offense...but look at the strides this defense has made this season. I hate on Rivera so hard...but the defense is looking awesome...can't hate on him for that...there is more than one phase of the game to consider..

Just a point

#146 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Honest question, Rayzor...

What do you see as the main factor(s) that has held back the Oregon teams and kept them from winning it all?

One of the main factors is a former Auburn QB that we all know.

#147 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Cam has one of the highest QB ratings the past 5-6 games in the league. Whatever we are doing now on offense...needs to stay that way...

We can talk about all the great things Kelly can do on offense...but look at the strides this defense has made this season. I hate on Rivera so hard...but the defense is looking awesome...can't hate on him for that...there is more than one phase of the game to consider..

Just a point

Can we also keep playing teams like San Diego, Philly and Kansas City?
Well not KC, we couldn't beat them.

#148 pantherpain

pantherpain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Just a point

We have 5 win's with 2 games to go, with most of those wins against bad teams, let's not go down to deep on Rivera.

#149 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

2 TE passing scheme wasn't heavily used until NE used it. Guess who NE brought it to create them a super good offense highlighting Brady/Gronk/Hernandez? Omg Chip Kelly!

2 TE formations have been around since dirt was created. Are we going to give Kelly credit for that too? Just last year, we had 2 dynamic pass catching TE's, so it's not like NE has invented something new with Gronk and Hernandez.

The biggest influence Kelly has probably had on NE is with their one-word play calls. That allows them to run their no huddle offense at a faster pace. However, Kelly isn't the only coach that has provided tips to NE, as BB also has had frequent input from guys like Urban Meyer and Lou Saban.

Look, I'm not dead set against Kelly. He interests me and is a guy worth looking at. But let's keep things in perspective. Giving him credit for the use of 2 TE's in the passing game is just ridiculous.

#150 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

...but what really gets me about what we do now is that i don't trust rivera's game planning or management. i think kelly is much better at game management. he's a lot more cut throat. i also like the way kelly runs his team and his practices. i think the team would be a lot more practiced and prepared and disciplined with kelly.

I don't trust our game planning or management either, especially on the offensive side. Kelly's ability to get the most out of his players is definitely intriguing. His teams never seem to come out totally flat. They get beat sometimes, but they never look unprepared.

I promise to keep an open mind in regards to Kelly, so don't give up on me yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com