Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NY Governor: Weapon Confiscation is an option...

79 posts in this topic

Posted

Sooo... Buying guns with state funds and paying existing and more likely new employees of some state agency isn't "expanding" govt?

It is a significant expansion of "Big Government" spending and will only strengthen the "evil police state".

Where are the resources to pay for all these additional police coming from?

This is precisely what paranoid gun advocates and the "small government" GOP have been adamantly against for decades... till now.

No point in discussing it, your NRA/gun manufacturer overlords have spoken.

Don't ponder this hypocrisy too much.

It's time to fall in line, you gun lovin' tools of big business.

Posted

Homicides involving firearms dropped by 59% in the decade following Australia’s gun law reforms, Harvard University researchers reported last year in an analysis of the Australian statistics.

“In the 18 years prior to the 1996 Australian laws, there were 13 gun massacres (four or more fatalities) in Australia, resulting in 102 deaths,” Howard noted. “There have been none in that category since the Port Arthur laws.”

Posted

Double post. This space for rent.

Posted

It is a significant expansion of "Big Government" spending and will only strengthen the "evil police state".

Where are the resources to pay for all these additional police coming from?

This is precisely what paranoid gun advocates and the "small government" GOP have been adamantly against for decades... till now.

No point in discussing it, your NRA/gun manufacturer overlords have spoken.

Don't ponder this hypocrisy too much.

It's time to fall in line, you gun lovin' tools of big business.

Hypocrisy huh?

What do you call not recognizing that both of these "solutions" are an expansion of gov't?

Posted

Hypocrisy huh?

What do you call not recognizing that both of these "solutions" are an expansion of gov't?

I don't identify myself as an NRA member in fear of the "evil police state", and yet some of these very individuals including the very head of the NRA are advocating police state expansion. Hypocrites.

I don't count myself as a member of the GOP/TP, nor did I vote for any Republican Congressmen, because virtually all of them have signed Grover Norquist's, "No new taxes pledge". Yet now to avoid viable solutions to rampant firearms deaths in our society some of those very same people are advocating an expansion of government? What happened to wanting to reduce the size of "Big Government" until it is small enough to drowned in a bathtub? Hypocrites.

The fact that there were armed police officers at Columbine and Virginia Tech didn't prevent the historic loss of life and carnage. So expansion of the Police state is likely not going to do what the NRA claims it will.

On the other hand, the 59% reduction in firearm deaths and the total elimination of mass killings since 1996 in Australia, speak for themselves.

No hypocrisy on my part. We are still looking for viable solutions here, aren't we?

Posted

Love the budget hawk liberals that are showing up.

They clearly love the millions and billions wasted on liberal projects like Solyndra, Obama phones, disability fraud, etc., more than they do the children. They do not want to protect our kids!!! Just give tons of money to groups who funnel back to them in elections. Money for everything in the world, but not for the kids. I suppose paying people to sit on their azz and draw gov $$$ for doing nothing, is better than paying them to sit in schools and protect the kids?

Page from their playbook

Posted

I don't identify myself as an NRA member in fear of the "evil police state", and yet some of these very individuals including the very head of the NRA are advocating police state expansion. Hypocrites.

I don't count myself as a member of the GOP/TP, nor did I vote for any Republican Congressmen, because virtually all of them have signed Grover Norquist's, "No new taxes pledge". Yet now to avoid viable solutions to rampant firearms deaths in our society some of those very same people are advocating an expansion of government? What happened to wanting to reduce the size of "Big Government" until it is small enough to drowned in a bathtub? Hypocrites.

The fact that there were armed police officers at Columbine and Virginia Tech didn't prevent the historic loss of life and carnage. So expansion of the Police state is likely not going to do what the NRA claims it will.

On the other hand, the 59% reduction in firearm deaths and the total elimination of mass killings since 1996 in Australia, speak for themselves.

No hypocrisy on my part. We are still looking for viable solutions here, aren't we?

I think you missed the point of both my posts here.

I was specifically talking about Delhommey saying that cops in schools was increasing budgets but ignoring that a mandatory gun buyback would too.

Posted

Love the budget hawk liberals that are showing up.

They clearly love the millions and billions wasted on liberal projects like Solyndra, Obama phones, disability fraud, etc., more than they do the children. They do not want to protect our kids!!! Just give tons of money to groups who funnel back to them in elections. Money for everything in the world, but not for the kids. I suppose paying people to sit on their azz and draw gov $$$ for doing nothing, is better than paying them to sit in schools and protect the kids?

Page from their playbook

You really never seem to get tired of being on the wrong side of an issue, do you?

Government is famous for supporting private industry in research and development. Not surprisingly, when it comes to new technology it doesn't always work out. No guarantees in life, shocking, I know!!! This may sound unbelievable, but I did some research and it even happens in private industry too!

Talk to the American Astronauts as to why it was worth continuing after the adversity of Apollo 1. The fact that we are even having this conversation confirms government investment in new technologies benefits all of us, neocons and liberals alike.

"Obama phones" was not even created by his administration. It had it's origins way back in the Reagan administration.

Fraud happens everywhere. Shockingly, even in the private sector. That's why we need better regulation. Check out the history of Wall Street, Big Pharma, Big Oil, Industrial Farming or the Military Industrial Complex. For that matter check out gun manufactures. Those guys count on the NRA to fight any and all attempts to eliminate sales loopholes that allow their products to be purchased by criminals or gun safety regulations that would prevent gun owner's sons from blowing away 20 children and 8 adults.

Why would you even make absurd statements like "Money for everything in the world, but not for the kids"? Who here doesn't want to make our nation a safer place for our children? I suspect even you want to protect America's children, despite your often misguided support of the NRA's tragically flawed gun policies.

Posted

Panties in a wad there NN?

Tongue in cheek as evidenced by the "page from their playbook" comment. This is typically how liberals talk by saying "war on women" and such. Just using outlandish to expose outlandish.

Posted

I think you missed the point of both my posts here.

Yes, I likely did.

I was specifically talking about Delhommey saying that cops in schools was increasing budgets but ignoring that a mandatory gun buyback would too.

Agreed. Both would cost a considerable amount of tax payer dollars.

But having said that, a gun buy back program has been shown to work quite well in conjunction with other measures, albeit in Australia.

The other method, police in schools, by itself, has been shown not to work, at Columbine and Virginia Tech.

Either or both these suggestions might work in conjuction with other changes.

I honestly don't think there is any "stand alone" solution to the problem. Any proposal without 100% background checks for all gun sales, new and used, along with owner liability for improperly secured weapons later used in crimes, will be nothing more than window dressing on the problem.

The vast majority of firearm owners are responsible citizens and care deeply about gun safety. This conversation is not about them.

Posted

Yeah, I wasn't debating the merits of either, I was simply pointing out Dels continued ability to only see one side of the issue.

No one solution is going to magically fix anything.

Posted

Panties in a wad there NN?

Tongue in cheek as evidenced by the "page from their playbook" comment. This is typically how liberals talk by saying "war on women" and such. Just using outlandish to expose outlandish.

Outlandish? I am not sure your know the meaning of the word.

Outlandish are individuals that support the continued sale of firearms to people without proper background checks.

Outlandish is an NRA President that a week ago learned of an individual that took unsecured weapons/ammo from his mother and gunned down 28 people, including twenty 6 and 7 year olds, yet makes no mention of the need for stricter control of firearms in the home.

That is the definition of outlandish.

1 person likes this