Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Argus Plexus

The Difference Between a 4-3 and a 3-4

32 posts in this topic

I didn't make this thread for those of you who actually know what a 3-4 is. I made it for the laymans who don't and constantly ask about it.

My god not this again. We finally have 2 elite pass rushers, and people still insist we're moving to a 3-4 defense.

This

I swear to god I read a post that we should put Greg Hardy in on offense if the injuries continue. I don't think it's a situation of grown adults being legally retarded. I think it's young teenagers lying about their age when they sign up for the Huddle.

It would be a mistake to try and switch to a 3-4 now. Rivera is probably going to be back next year and if he was interested in switching to that it should of been the first thing he changed when he came here.

A 3-4 LB are guys like Terrell Suggs and DeMarcus Ware. Shawn Merriman a couple years ago. Not Jon Beason and James Anderson.

My god not this again. We finally have 2 elite pass rushers, and people still insist we're moving to a 3-4 defense.

Did you read the original post? He never said they were, he was trying to end any talk of us switching by informing folks why we don't have the personnell for it.

Did you read the original post? He never said they were, he was trying to end any talk of us switching by informing folks why we don't have the personnell for it.

My comment wasn't meant for the OP.

It would be a mistake to try and switch to a 3-4 now. Rivera is probably going to be back next year and if he was interested in switching to that it should of been the first thing he changed when he came here.

A 3-4 LB are guys like Terrell Suggs and DeMarcus Ware. Shawn Merriman a couple years ago. Not Jon Beason and James Anderson.

this, clay matthews/von miller are pretty unique players. not sure if they're even considered 3-4 olbs.

My comment wasn't meant for the OP.

Gotcha

decent thread.

I will say this, though. The description of the MLB is changed depending on the defense. There are variations of the 43, which have the MLB doing different things. For example, in a Cover 2 (aka the Tampa 2) defense, the MLB is more of a drop-back-into-coverage style player, which usually generates more interceptions for the player. However, in the Cover 2, the MLB isn't a sideline-to-sideline player. More of a north-south/endzone-to-endzone player, as well as a your primary TE coverage.

In Jim Johnson's old 43 defense, the MLB was more of an attacking LB, designed to really come up and stop the run. The player could push forward onto the offensive line, where he could find holes within the line to pick apart, and finding lanes that the running back is going to run through, etc.

The OLBs, yes. And that position is usually called something different by each team. Some call it the hybrid, the joker, the attacker, the assaulter, etc. That position, the stand-up DE/pass rush position is a unique position. But, of course, Jon Beason wouldn't be playing the OLB position that Ware and Suggs both play, he'd be on the inside, with Kuechly.

However, Jon Beason would be a good example of someone who could play middle in the 34 system. In fact, case in point, when Patrick Willis and Jon Beason came out of college, both players were considered identical (go ahead, read reviews about them). Their style, their size, their speed, their motor, all of these things were considered to be on par. Patrick Willis has ended up fitting great into the ILB position of an awesome 34 defense.

I like what we run now, 4-3 base, and trickle a little 3-4 for time to time.

But it would be nice to see us run a 4-4 DEF also from time to time.