14 replies to this topic

#1 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

[NOTE: This is not a list of guys I would like to see as coach. This is a list that comes from Marc Ross' background, or guys he has had experience with and/or links to.]

With the recent reports of Marc Ross leading the GM candidacy (which is something I believe all Panthers' fans are happy about), it brings up the question what that does for the coaching search. Let's look a couple scenarios:

There's the obvious two. The first being that Ron Rivera stays depending on how he finishes the season. I think this is possible, unless we lose to either the Raiders or the Saints. Finishing 6-10 (or worse) spells the end for Rivera.

The second is that Perry Fewell, a hometown guy, becomes the candidate after spending the last couple of seasons as the Giants' DC. However, Fewell has already interviewed, and I don't really believe he has the attitude that Richardson is looking for in a HC.

Then there's the wildcard options. How about Andy Reid? Marc Ross spent a lot of time with the Eagles' organization, drafting players like Brian Westbrook. I don't think that Andy Reid fits Cam (or vice versa) but I think that Andy Reid could help our team win immediately, as long as he has a GM in place to keep him on track.

How about Tom Clements? Yes, the Green Bay Packers awesome OC. Tom Clements was the OC during the years that Marc Ross was the scout for the Buffalo Bills. Clements name has come up multiple times as a HC candidate, and this could be the best time for him to get his chance. With a QB like Cam (who could end up better than Aaron Rodgers), Clements could have our offense looking incredible.

Of course, there are the college coaches as well. Marc Ross was a national college scout and the head of scouting for many years. His ties to college football are more than obvious. Chip Kelly has been the hot name, but I really don't think he's going to leave Oregon. I think these rumors of him to the NFL are fabricated to help him up his salary.

Nick Saban becomes an interesting name if he wins the National Championship. A guy that's reportedly wanted to win at the NFL level, and reportedly wants a team with a high-caliber QB.

#2 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Ugh. Nick Saban? Neg rep...

#3 Wolfcop

Wolfcop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

No to Saban

Nice little breakdown otherwise...thanks

#4 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm not saying yes to Saban, I'm just saying that these are pretty obvious coaches considering Ross' background.

#5 Wolfcop

Wolfcop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

yeah...good point

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,929 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Definitely wouldn't want Reid.

Honestly not the world's biggest Perry Fewell fan either.

#7 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

If Saban comes back it will be Cleveland

#8 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,072 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

So a big no to marc Ross then?

#9 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

It'll be someone from the parcells/belichick coaching tree.

#10 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Although it should be noted chip Kelly and belichick are very close, and brady is basically running the Oregon offense this year. They're just substituting the qb runs with bubble screens or whatever have you.

#11 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,638 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

If Rivera is fired, other than Chip Kelly, I don't really like those names for the Panthers. There'll be lots of interviews though, so who knows who might pop up.

My favs for GM are Ross or Gamble. Really hope we get one or the other.

#12 Panthers Nation

Panthers Nation

Swaggin on ducks on a daily basis.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Chip Kelly should be our #1 target for coach after the season.I think he would make this offense scary good with Cam at QB.

#13 PantherKyle

PantherKyle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

No to Fewell. Let's get an offensive minded coach and a strong DC. I want Chip Kelly.

#14 Kuech Da Sneak

Kuech Da Sneak

As long as we aren't 32.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

The Chip Kelly rumors aren't rumors, they're closer to fact. The NCAA is sniffing around Oregon, and he's looking to pull a Pete Carroll before it falls in around him. Chip to Philly is the most likely landing place.

#15 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Saban actually wasn't as bad as people want to make him out to be. He went 9-7 in his first year with Gus Frerotte as his QB. Then they traded for Culpepper who was injured the entire season so he had to go with his two backups...Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon. He went 6-10 with that team.

So...in a time where the AFC was an extremely difficult conference to win in he won more games than Ron Rivera will win in his first two seasons with arguably the worst QB situation in the league.

I could argue that if they had lured in Brees he could still be in the league and the Dolphins could be one of the best teams in the AFC...I think Saban COULD do well here with Cam. But I don't think he's leaving Bama.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com