Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regarding Ron Rivera...why would next year be any different?

58 posts in this topic

Posted

I think people believe we can just stick our existing players in a completely new system and they'll absorb and adapt to it immediately.

It's generally not that easy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Exactly my point...

I've been saying this since we started 2-8 and I saw that we were going to end the schedule with a bunch of crap opponents. In order to go to the playoffs you HAVE to beat quality teams and Rivera can't do it. If he's back next year expect 8-8 or so for the season and no playoffs.

Posted

If we're really only "a few bounced balls" from a wild card spot, isn't that an argument for Rivera?

Maybe I'm overstating it, but the team has talent. I don't think Hurney was the issue. Yes, a few bounces go the other way, maybe the team wins a few more games. But maybe they don't.

I look at the Bears game, when Ron Rivera admitted he called the soft zone coverage on the final drive when the Bears walked down the field and scored to win the game at the end. Rivera didn't use the final timeout he had when the Bears kept running the same play up and down the field. Good coaching?

Posted

If we're really only "a few bounced balls" from a wild card spot, isn't that an argument for Rivera?

Maybe I'm overstating it, but the team has talent. I don't think Hurney was the issue. Yes, a few bounces go the other way, maybe the team wins a few more games. But maybe they don't.

I look at the Bears game, when Ron Rivera admitted he called the soft zone coverage on the final drive when the Bears walked down the field and scored to win the game at the end. Rivera didn't use the final timeout he had when the Bears kept running the same play up and down the field. Good coaching?

Posted

It also depends who we replace him with. If Chip Kelly wants to coach here and JR and GM are fully convinced Kelly is the next Harbaugh, I say you have to hire him. If not any good candidates avaliable, you also weigh your options

Posted

I think people believe we can just stick our existing players in a completely new system and they'll absorb and adapt to it immediately.

The 49ers, Broncos and Colts would like to have a word with you.

Posted

For the record though, I'm not as sold on our talent level as you are.

We have the talent... I don't doubt that. I also think maybe hepcat misspoke...

It wasn't really a "few bounced balls" away from some early wins... if was "a few bad decisions" away from some early wins.

I have wanted to see Rivera go for a while, but this is good momentum we have and it is true that learning a new system and new coaches next season will be a BIG hurdle for the team. I can see him staying for that reason alone.

Posted

The 2011 49ers, 2007 Steelers, 2006 Saints, 2007 Packers all disagree. Those are just a few teams off the top of my head who made the playoffs in the first season with a brand new head coach. The Packers actually went to the Playoffs in the 2nd season under McCarthy but went 13-3 in the process and were a Brett Favre pick six in OT away from the superbowl. It's not really that difficult to adapt to a new system...it's a hell of a lot harder to win with a sucky system that is already installed.

Posted

The 49ers, Broncos and Colts would like to have a word with you.

All teams that did indeed have pretty good talent, and all of which play in pretty crappy divisions.

You can debate talent vs coaching for the Panthers, but a weak division is something we definitely don't have the good fortune to be in.

Posted

The 2011 49ers, 2007 Steelers, 2006 Saints, 2007 Packers all disagree. Those are just a few teams off the top of my head who made the playoffs in the first season with a brand new head coach. The Packers actually went to the Playoffs in the 2nd season under McCarthy but went 13-3 in the process and were a Brett Favre pick six in OT away from the superbowl. It's not really that difficult to adapt to a new system...it's a hell of a lot harder to win with a sucky system that is already installed.

The Steelers are perennial contenders who had a lousy season largely because Cowher's mind was on retirement. The Packers were also pretty good too but had a crappy 2005. I'll give you that the Saints had a miraculous turnaround with the addition of Payton and Brees, but that's not the norm.

I don't want Newton having to start from scratch in a new system just as he's hitting his stride in this one.

Posted

Good teams aren't built in an offseason. There are so many things that are going for us now that weren't before. Remember when every special teams play was a disaster? When our run defense was swiss chess? When we got 0 pressure on the QB? Blame the coach but give him no props for the things he has done?

Posted

I don't want Newton having to start from scratch in a new system just as he's hitting his stride in this one.

Agree 100% with this EXCEPT for the fact that the dipshits completely changed what we were doing last season at the start of this season for some reason and that was the same staff...