Photo
- - - - -

Lombardi think Rivera will be gone Monday.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#76 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,291 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I think he gets one more year, as much as anything because the new GM is already going to have draft prep, scouting staff organization and a cap apocalypse to deal with, so why add a new coach hire to that already full plate?

Granted, River being let go is a definite possibility, but given everything else there is that needs fixing, I'm not so sure it'd be the smart move right now.

#77 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I still think that a bulk of the decision on what to do with Rivera will be made by the new GM / influenced by the recommendations from Accorsi. It feels like it would be a mistake to me to go after any good GM and tell them up front they will have zero input on their head coach. To that end I do not think he will be gone Monday but I also don't think him still being employed on Monday will say anything about his future with the team.

We may well see Rivera back for another year but if we do I think (hope?) it will be because the new GM is on board with giving him the additional time...not because it was forced down their throat.

#78 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

My hunch says he stays. We likely won't have a GM until late January and then it's a bit late to jump in the coach hunting game.

#79 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,291 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

I still think that a bulk of the decision on what to do with Rivera will be made by the new GM / influenced by the recommendations from Accorsi. It feels like it would be a mistake to me to go after any good GM and tell them up front they will have zero input on their head coach. To that end I do not think he will be gone Monday but I also don't think him still being employed on Monday will say anything about his future with the team.

We may well see Rivera back for another year but if we do I think (hope?) it will be because the new GM is on board with giving him the additional time...not because it was forced down their throat.

Agreed.

Said before I could see a meeting with Rivera as part of the process (doesn't mean he'd have input, though).

#80 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Keeping Rivera and some of the staff might give the GM even more power in the long run. If he keeps Rivera and it works out, he looks like a genius. If he keeps him and it doesn't work out, he says "Well they were 'trending up' in 2012, now I need to bring in my own guy". If he fires Rivera...and the new coach doesn't pan out...everyone is wondering "Well what if he kept Rivera?"

Whatever the decision is, it looks like keeping Rivera is the safer one of the two for a new GM.

#81 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Still wondering why JR fired Hurney if he ends up keeping Rivera.

#82 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,608 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

playing safe is what this organization does,and most GMs that come in to a new team have to do all those things Scot. Rivera in no way has this team trending up unless he coaches his best game vs NO this sunday.allowing the option run 10+ times a game, clock management issues, playing not to lose, and just not showing confidence in his players are reasons for him to go.

#83 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Still wondering why JR fired Hurney if he ends up keeping Rivera.

Because Hurney had been screwing up the roster and contracts for years.

#84 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think he gets one more year, as much as anything because the new GM is already going to have draft prep, scouting staff organization and a cap apocalypse to deal with, so why add a new coach hire to that already full plate?

Granted, River being let go is a definite possibility, but given everything else there is that needs fixing, I'm not so sure it'd be the smart move right now.

That doesn't make sense, because the GM will have to draft players and add free agents that fits Rivera scheme and Chud offense. If the GM has any say at all which I think he will I don't believe he will bring Rivera back. If you're a new GM can you really trust somebody who has 2 yrs of experience with a 2-8 record up in till the month of December? He has to be very rational because if he commits to Rivera he has to stick with Rivera and if things don't work out he just can't fire him. If I was Ross or anybody else I would get my own guy to commit to not Hurney guy. Sticking with Rivera will be too much of a gamble.

#85 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Keeping Rivera and some of the staff might give the GM even more power in the long run. If he keeps Rivera and it works out, he looks like a genius. If he keeps him and it doesn't work out, he says "Well they were 'trending up' in 2012, now I need to bring in my own guy". If he fires Rivera...and the new coach doesn't pan out...everyone is wondering "Well what if he kept Rivera?"

Whatever the decision is, it looks like keeping Rivera is the safer one of the two for a new GM.

That's not giving him power. Keeping Rivera is not that much of a safe decision either. What's safe is the new GM brings in his own guy. Fits the personnel to the scheme of his own HC. Not draft or add free agents for Rivera and he ends up having to fire Rivera then we have just wasted time and another season. It's only right for JR to allow his new GM to pick his own people. A lot of us have seen enough of Rivera for the past two season to pretty much determine we will be mediocre at best with him. Last year we are 2-8 in till the month of December. This year we are 3-7 in till the month of December. What does that tell you about him and our team?

#86 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Cowher=Leader
Rivera=Follower

Understand now?

nope....because i fail to see how cowher fits in this discussion at all. did someone mention him?

#87 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

rayzor be duckin..ain't wit da trillest of the trill.

#88 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

rayzor be duckin..ain't wit da trillest of the trill.

Posted Image

#89 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image

haha me either

#90 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

That's not giving him power. Keeping Rivera is not that much of a safe decision either. What's safe is the new GM brings in his own guy. Fits the personnel to the scheme of his own HC. Not draft or add free agents for Rivera and he ends up having to fire Rivera then we have just wasted time and another season. It's only right for JR to allow his new GM to pick his own people. A lot of us have seen enough of Rivera for the past two season to pretty much determine we will be mediocre at best with him. Last year we are 2-8 in till the month of December. This year we are 3-7 in till the month of December. What does that tell you about him and our team?

I'm pro firing Rivera...I think 2013 will be another mirror image of 2011 and 2012 if he stays. But, if I'm the new GM, I think it might be wise to keep him another year...essentially it's a win-win. He succeeds, you look like a genius. He doesn't, you say you need to bring in your own guy and you kept him because he was trending up.

But if I was the GM, I'd want to bring in my own coach so that's what I expect will happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com