Photo
- - - - -

Lombardi think Rivera will be gone Monday.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#91 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Because Hurney had been screwing up the roster and contracts for years.

Be he also hired Rivera too, keeping Rivera would mean not giving the new GM a clean slate.

#92 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I think if he'd gone 8-8 and won any one of those close games that we lost jaw-dropping at the last second he'd be here in 2013, especially with defensive improvements.

I'd be shocked if he was here Monday.

I actually think that he could have gone 7-9 or 8-8 IF we had been a playoff contender all season. His fate was sealed when we started the season 2-8 and chances at the playoffs were over. If we had been 5-5 at that point in the season and we had finished the year 3-3 to go 8-8 then I think he's back in 2013. But you can't be safe as a head coach where your season is basically over after 10 games.

#93 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,221 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Lombardi also was really vocal about how bad Kevin Kolb will be and said teams should Not trade for him and give the huge deal expected to keep him.

Maybe he is the next GM?! Dark Horse!

#94 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Another thing to consider is it did seem to take a firing of a GM to get things right, that questions if Rivera has a true desire to win and not just for his job

#95 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,454 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Lombardi also was really vocal about how bad Kevin Kolb will be and said teams should Not trade for him and give the huge deal expected to keep him.

Maybe he is the next GM?! Dark Horse!

He's rumored for the Browns.

#96 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

RIvera has some good qualities. This team is still playing hard--that is huge. However, his game management sucks and I am not sure that he is the best coach for Cam. I think Cam needs to have his attitude adjusted, but I see nobody on this staff willing to do it. Since QB is the most common denominator for winning in the NFL, more common that coaches, we need to get a coach who knows how to handle prima donnas.

For example: I do not care who started it or how bad the call was, Cam needs to know that his head must always be in the game. During the last game, we underperformed. Cam kicked another player, bumped a ref, and blew off his position coach on the sideline. If I were the coach, Derek Anderson would have finished the game. Period. End of story. Especially considering the fact that the game was meaningless. Especially if I knew Richardson was watching me.
Defend Cam all you want. I saw the game and think for myself. The leader of the team rises above that crap.

#97 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • 3,789 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...oaching-changes

With six wins, Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera may have saved his job unless Panthers owner Jerry Richardson wants to pay $5 million per year, or more, to get Oregon coach Chip Kelly or a lot less to grab former Panthers assistant Mike McCoy, who is Denver's offensive coordinator. I think Rivera might get a reprieve.

#98 thennek

thennek

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I think RR is done in Carolina. One of the rumors as to why Hurley was fired was that JR did not agree with the RR hiring. Why JR did not fire RR at the same time as Hurley is a mystery, but my guess is that he did not have a better alternative than RR at the time.

If JR was convinced the Panthers were on the right path, he would not have fired Hurley. Winning one more game in New Orleans is not going to make a difference one way or the other for RR. He is a very good DC, but not a HC and is probably the reason why so many other teams 'passed' on RR after they interviewed him. When fired by the Panthers, he will have another job waiting for him as a DC or LB coach but not as a HC.

#99 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Winning meaningless games at the end of the season doesn't impress me. I like Rivera and I think he might figure it out one day, but I've seen him lose virtually every close game we've been in. I've seen us lose some unthinkable games by going way conservative at the end allowing our opponent to pull off a miracle.

The bottom line is that there is way too much talent on this team for us to be playing for 7-9 and to have been out of the playoff picture weeks ago. We didn't start winning games until we were already playing for nothing.

Maybe he should have called Fox and asked him what was the real problem with this team? It's clearly not his fault alone.

#100 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I hope it's true. Lombardi is a pretty legit man.

#101 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I think RR is done in Carolina. One of the rumors as to why Hurley was fired was that JR did not agree with the RR hiring. Why JR did not fire RR at the same time as Hurley is a mystery, but my guess is that he did not have a better alternative than RR at the time.

If JR was convinced the Panthers were on the right path, he would not have fired Hurley. Winning one more game in New Orleans is not going to make a difference one way or the other for RR. He is a very good DC, but not a HC and is probably the reason why so many other teams 'passed' on RR after they interviewed him. When fired by the Panthers, he will have another job waiting for him as a DC or LB coach but not as a HC.

Who's this Hurley guy? Is it Rosario Dawson's cousin or Gordell's nephew?

#102 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

If I am Rivera, I argue for my job this way:
We have talent, but we have holes that Hurney never successfully addressed--DT, WR, CB, and OL are pretty significant aspects. Who is the last good linemen we brought in--Ryan Kalil? When did we last sign a qualitiy CB? Gamble? When did Marty Hurney EVER bring in a top WR? NEVER (Smith was here when he came aboard). DT? Corvey Irvin? Sione Fua? Terrell McLain? Ron Edwards? Louis Leonard? Tank Tyler? Frank Kearse? Undrafted FAs Neblett? Chandler?

I would add this: When the team sees the GM rewarding players with top contracts after underperforming and losing seasons, what motivates the others?

If I were RR, I would argue that Hurney's mess will take years to fix. Bad contracts that strapped the cap (DWill, Godfrey, Johnson, Beason, etc.) were all overpaid.

#103 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

If I am Rivera, I argue for my job this way:
We have talent, but we have holes that Hurney never successfully addressed--DT, WR, CB, and OL are pretty significant aspects. Who is the last good linemen we brought in--Ryan Kalil? When did we last sign a qualitiy CB? Gamble? When did Marty Hurney EVER bring in a top WR? NEVER (Smith was here when he came aboard). DT? Corvey Irvin? Sione Fua? Terrell McLain? Ron Edwards? Louis Leonard? Tank Tyler? Frank Kearse? Undrafted FAs Neblett? Chandler?

I would add this: When the team sees the GM rewarding players with top contracts after underperforming and losing seasons, what motivates the others?

If I were RR, I would argue that Hurney's mess will take years to fix. Bad contracts that strapped the cap (DWill, Godfrey, Johnson, Beason, etc.) were all overpaid.

Honestly, Rivera needs to defend HIS decisions in the past two seasons with regards to managing the team and the game. Hurney's decision, however valid, should only be a small part of the Rivera story.

#104 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

RIvera has some good qualities. This team is still playing hard--that is huge. However, his game management sucks and I am not sure that he is the best coach for Cam. I think Cam needs to have his attitude adjusted, but I see nobody on this staff willing to do it. Since QB is the most common denominator for winning in the NFL, more common that coaches, we need to get a coach who knows how to handle prima donnas.

For example: I do not care who started it or how bad the call was, Cam needs to know that his head must always be in the game. During the last game, we underperformed. Cam kicked another player, bumped a ref, and blew off his position coach on the sideline. If I were the coach, Derek Anderson would have finished the game. Period. End of story. Especially considering the fact that the game was meaningless. Especially if I knew Richardson was watching me.
Defend Cam all you want. I saw the game and think for myself. The leader of the team rises above that crap.

I have to keep reminding myself that Cam is in the South and there are those who still see a confident kid like him as a threat and needs to be "kept in check." There is simply no other excuse for this sort of unwarranted atttitude towards this young man.

I would love to see how you would have handled yourself in the same situation. I'm sure you'd be the type who would not only go after the Ref but sue the NFL Organization because in your mind, the Refs weren't doing their jobs. Clearly, freedom to be and act human doesn't apply to everyone in some folks minds.

#105 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

I have to keep reminding myself that Cam is in the South and there are those who still see a confident kid like him as a threat and needs to be "kept in check." There is simply no other excuse for this sort of unwarranted atttitude towards this young man.

Ill defend cam till the cows come home but shut up please. Accusing someone of racism because he doesn't like that the qb was costing us the game with stupid emotional on field tantrums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com