Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Dp

#12 catfang

catfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Nice piece and well stated.

That being said, one of the biggest factors in deciding whether or not Rivera stays or goes may have nothing to do with coaching at all.

It may very well come down to the fact that Jerry Richardson has absolutely no sense of urgency and may not make up his mind on a GM for some time. By the time the new GM is named, the list of head coaching candidates may be a very short one regardless and the new GM may feel as though he has little alternative than to keep Rivera because the organization is already 3 weeks behind the power curve.

This is my biggest fear. I'd be very disappointed.

#13 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

MFCEO

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Promoted to article. Nice.

#14 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

"...but I also think the Panthers will be one of the most sought after jobs by coaches should it come open."
Not so sure about that. Jerry Richardson has proven himself to be pretty frugal and won't pay a top coach's salary. Witness John Fox in his last season in Charlotte only making about $3M as one of the longest tenured coaches in the league after all his years with the Panthers.

#15 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

People made fun of Bill Walsh before he came to the NFL. Said his style of offense, the West Coast, would never work. His work transcended the game. Beliacheat went out to Oregon this off-season to see what all this Chip Kelly hub-bub was about. The Patriots then fixed their problems on explosive plays this year.

The common denominator between all three coaches is their attention to details and their work ethic for perfection. I'd take a gamble on it. Yes, in the NFL you only have 1 first round pick and the Salary cap vs the 17 scholarships you can throw out but I think Kelly will make it work in the NFL. I just don't want us to pass it by and be left wondering what if much like our Kickoff out of bounds in the Superbowl.

Rivera hasn't shown me anything more that many other coaches that are currently losing their jobs have. Yes, the defense is playing better, they played hard but it was against teams that are in as much of a mess as ours, minus Atlanta. Brady Quinn looked like Joe Cool in the pocket. Brady Quinn couldn't even hold Delhomme's clipboard. Clock Mismanagement is worse than kids playing Madden. I was optimistic coming into this year that if our defense was middle of the road we would make the playoffs. Our defense was better than middle of the road, yet the regression on offense was terrible. Why do you have to be on the hot-seat before you perform? Ideally you want that consistency all 16 games not just 5.

#16 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• LocationCharlotte
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Pretty much sums up my feelings. Indifferent. Torn. Loved the post, nice job

Promoted to article. Nice.

Yes, very worthy of article status, kudo's.

#17 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

"...but I also think the Panthers will be one of the most sought after jobs by coaches should it come open."
Not so sure about that. Jerry Richardson has proven himself to be pretty frugal and won't pay a top coach's salary. Witness John Fox in his last season in Charlotte only making about $3M as one of the longest tenured coaches in the league after all his years with the Panthers.

I do believe Fox was in the 6 mil. range

#18 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Fox was one of the top ten highest paid coaches in the NFL that season and the entire staff's salary was among the highest in the NFL that year.

#19 SparkyDevil

SparkyDevil

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Personally, I would prefer to keep RR for another year. He's done a great job with the *defense and from what we've seen in videos or on the field, he still has the locker room and respect of the players. The mere fact that they played hard for the final weeks of the season shows that they really respect him. I feel like firing Rivera would cause more problems. What we need is a better OC with head coaching experience. (NORV)

Edit - wrote offense instead of defense* - (hangover)

#20 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

"Fox was one of the top ten highest paid coaches in the NFL that season and the entire staff's salary was among the highest in the NFL that year."

I'm not sure what your reference is, but while there are several lists out there, I just saw one from 2011 where Fox wasn't in the top 10, and I'm sure he didn't take a pay cut to go to Denver. Top 10 means nothing and is rather deceiving when the top guys that years were making at least twice what Fox was and some of them had less than half the tenure as a head coach than Fox.

Bill Belichick New England Patriots $7.50 million
Mike Shanahan Washington Redskins $7.00 million
Pete Carroll Seattle Seahawks $6.70 million
Jeff Fisher Tennessee Titans $5.75 million
Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers $5.75 million
Ken Whisenhunt Arizona Cardinals $5.75 million
Andy Reid Philadelphia Eagles $5.50 million
Tom Coughlin New York Giants $5.25 million
Jack Del Rio Jacksonville Jaguars $5.00 million
Lovie Smith Chicago Bears $4.80 million
http://www.buzzle.co...oaches2011.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic