• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I really think Rivera is learning how to be a head coach. From what I've seen in his past he's a great x's and o's guy on defense. His trouble has come from a management standpoint. I see a lot of similarities between him and Cam learning how to do a job they're new at, NFL head coach and QB.

Cam gotten better at...
1. Being a leader with more that just his play on the field.
2. His sideline demeanor.
3. How he interacts with his teammates during a game.
4. Learning how to take what the game is giving you and playing team ball. Check downs, leaning on the running game, etc.

Ron has gotten better at...
1. Interacting with his players during the game.
2. Reigning in and managing his coordinators. I think before he wasn't as hands on and involved or overseeing the things he needed to be involved it. Basically learned how much more control he needs to take as a head coach.
3. Being more aggressive.
4. Letting out some of that emotion.

What makes a man is adversity and we didn't really face that in his first year as a head coach because it was his first year and we had a rookie QB and no offseason. He let his guys have a lot of rope and it seemed to be working. During the off season Chud gets his mad scientist mojo going thinking the league is already going more spread and he's going to jump ahead of the curve with a QB who was fantastic in college at running that system. Turns out the old adage about that crap not working as well in the NFL is right. Ron was very slow in responding because he'd allowed/set up the Panthers environment that allowed Chud and special teams to continue to try and turn it around. By the time Ron realized his error in management style and environment it was too late but like the a good leader he took the bull by the horns and starting throwing his weight around.

He kept the team motivated. He started to take a hard lead and make the decisions he thought were right instead of trying to placate other coordinators, GM's or even the owner. I really think he woke up and realized what needed to be done. He then devised a plan and headed it down and did everything he could to make sure his wishes were carried out.

I'm really looking forward to next year because unlike the end of the year last year this team really understands what it has and what it needs to do in order to win. We won't see dominance of Chud's trick plays or Cam carrying the team on his shoulders next year. We won't see Rivera leaving the game up to his coordinators if the ship needs a strong hand. A defensive coordinator turned into a had coach over the last 5-6 games and I can't wait for next year.

#32 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Feel free to disagree, but if you watched the video and saw how the players reacted to Rivera and then saw all the tweets from the players today regarding the news that Rivera would be returning, you might think differently.

charles johnson ‏@randywattson
Chico run Chico run #CoachRivera

Heyyyyyyy πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ‘»Coach Rivera is staying! Gotta turn up this year! Gonna start this grind real soon but for now I'm on vacation 😜😜😜😜😜

Jonathan Stewart ‏@Jonathanstewar1
Hallelujah!!

James Dockery ‏@JamesDockery31
Excited Coach Rivera is coming back! I love the way he leads!#KeepPounding

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
OL Geoff Hangartner on Rivera returning: β€œThat’s awesome news. I’m excited about it. I think Ron has done a great job and I think he... Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
"...will be the first to admit he’s learned a lot since he was hired. He definitely has the respect of the guys in the..."Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
...locker room because he’s played the game and he treats guys the right way.”

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
Panthers TE Greg Olsen on Rivera returning: β€œI’m very happy he’s back, Obviously the season wasn’t what we were...Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
... looking for, but I think the way we finished showed that we’re heading in the right direction."

Josh Thomas ‏@Josh_Thomas22
Ron Rivera is back! Lets gooo!

DJCampbell27 ‏@DJCampbell27
Great news! Coach Rivera remains with us! #KeepPounding#PantherNation

Jody Breeze ‏@Blafell1
Great News #PantherNation #KeepPounding β€œ@AdamSchefter: Ron Rivera is returning to Panthers.”

stockholm syndrome

#33 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

none of that means anything if they don't win next year. if they aren't playing lights out then all that was just a bunch of words and rivera's motivational skills will be shown as being insufficient.

they want to show their love for the coach? win games.

shut up, mr. negativity

we need more fans with no expectations

#34 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

for more information on how insignificant being a players' coach is as it pertains to coaching ability, check out this poll...

#35 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

He kept the team motivated. He started to take a hard lead and make the decisions he thought were right instead of trying to placate other coordinators, GM's or even the owner. I really think he woke up and realized what needed to be done. He then devised a plan and headed it down and did everything he could to make sure his wishes were carried out.

I'm really looking forward to next year because unlike the end of the year last year this team really understands what it has and what it needs to do in order to win. We won't see dominance of Chud's trick plays or Cam carrying the team on his shoulders next year. We won't see Rivera leaving the game up to his coordinators if the ship needs a strong hand. A defensive coordinator turned into a had coach over the last 5-6 games and I can't wait for next year.

Very good post. I have been one of the one's calling for Rivera's head, but am open minded enough to hope you have more accurately gauged the situation.

However it turns out, you have at least made a nice case in his favor.

#36 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 4,874 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

My beef with Rivera was not adjusting the coverage of Norman on Marshall at the end of the Bears game. But when Norman was benched and the next guy up (Dockery) manhandled receivers in press coverage it became obvious that Norman simply was afraid to get dirty with receivers and wouldn't have done anything differently anyways.

Where we as fans tend to go astray is in assuming a coach's job has to be all about doing anything it takes to win right that minute, but we have to remember they are dealing with actual human beings. Rivera wanted to coach Nirman up and keep him confident, but the kid just wouldn't play outside his comfort zone. Ron finally bit the bullet and shut him down; hopefully, he'll wise up and get physical next year, but his confidence will need to be built back up, especially with Thomas and Dockery having success at the end of the year. It's a balancing act, and difficult to learn without experience. My hope is that Rom is building that experience with this year, and will be better in the future. For those who think he won't improve, you have an entire half-season to see that isn't true. The late streak we went on last year didn't involve much real changes in the coaching schemes, but this year almost every improvement was related to a Rivera move. He has shown the ability to change, something we all wanted after Foxball.

#37 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Very good post. I have been one of the one's calling for Rivera's head, but am open minded enough to hope you have more accurately gauged the situation.

However it turns out, you have at least made a nice case in his favor.

Thanks, I tend to be optimistic but I fully realize I could have it completely backwards. As fans we base so much of what we think on what we see on TV and he said, she said rumors. By the time Hurney was fired I was on the fire Rivera bandwagon but I was impressed by how he really did change things up the last half of the season and I'd rather take one more year and take the chance we're on the cusp of greatness then to never know and start all over again so soon especially when there are so many indicators that the Panthers really are a lot closer than our record indicates.

How many articles and stat comparisons have there been saying how good the panthers are in all the categories that matter (except for wins)? Or how many wins we've lost by less than a touchdown or lost by one single play. Really, change one fluky play in most of the games we lost and we're in the playoff. Cam makes that easy pass in the Seahawks game to Hartsock. Cam doesn't fumble in the first Atlanta game. Smitty slipping in the Bears game. My god, the last Bucs game. I still can't believe we lost that one.

That's 4 plays and 4 games that we lost by just bad, bad luck and not making routine plays. Those teams are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook.

#38 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

for more information on how insignificant being a players' coach is as it pertains to coaching ability, check out this poll...

lol

coughlin, belichik, jim harbaugh, pete carroll all on that list.

#39 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

I am going to say this very cautiously, because I'm not around him everyday, but sometimes I feel like Cam Newton is playing a game of chess and the rest of the world is playing checkers.

#40 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Feel free to disagree, but if you watched the video and saw how the players reacted to Rivera and then saw all the tweets from the players today regarding the news that Rivera would be returning, you might think differently.

Chico run Chico run #CoachRivera

Heyyyyyyy πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ‘»Coach Rivera is staying! Gotta turn up this year! Gonna start this grind real soon but for now I'm on vacation 😜😜😜😜😜

Jonathan Stewart ‏@Jonathanstewar1
Hallelujah!!

James Dockery ‏@JamesDockery31
Excited Coach Rivera is coming back! I love the way he leads!#KeepPounding

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
OL Geoff Hangartner on Rivera returning: β€œThat’s awesome news. I’m excited about it. I think Ron has done a great job and I think he... Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
"...will be the first to admit he’s learned a lot since he was hired. He definitely has the respect of the guys in the..."Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
...locker room because he’s played the game and he treats guys the right way.”

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
Panthers TE Greg Olsen on Rivera returning: β€œI’m very happy he’s back, Obviously the season wasn’t what we were...Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
... looking for, but I think the way we finished showed that we’re heading in the right direction."

Josh Thomas ‏@Josh_Thomas22
Ron Rivera is back! Lets gooo!

DJCampbell27 ‏@DJCampbell27
Great news! Coach Rivera remains with us! #KeepPounding#PantherNation

Jody Breeze ‏@Blafell1
Great News #PantherNation #KeepPounding β€œ@AdamSchefter: Ron Rivera is returning to Panthers.”

http://www.carolinah...ey-being-fired/

#41 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

My beef with Rivera was not adjusting the coverage of Norman on Marshall at the end of the Bears game. But when Norman was benched and the next guy up (Dockery) manhandled receivers in press coverage it became obvious that Norman simply was afraid to get dirty with receivers and wouldn't have done anything differently anyways.

Where we as fans tend to go astray is in assuming a coach's job has to be all about doing anything it takes to win right that minute, but we have to remember they are dealing with actual human beings. Rivera wanted to coach Nirman up and keep him confident, but the kid just wouldn't play outside his comfort zone. Ron finally bit the bullet and shut him down; hopefully, he'll wise up and get physical next year, but his confidence will need to be built back up, especially with Thomas and Dockery having success at the end of the year. It's a balancing act, and difficult to learn without experience. My hope is that Rom is building that experience with this year, and will be better in the future. For those who think he won't improve, you have an entire half-season to see that isn't true. The late streak we went on last year didn't involve much real changes in the coaching schemes, but this year almost every improvement was related to a Rivera move. He has shown the ability to change, something we all wanted after Foxball.

I know you can't really compare these coaches(at least not yet obviously), but look at chuck noll and bill walsh's first few years and their records in close games ( -horrible- )

#42 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• HUDDLER
  • 4,874 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

I know you can't really compare these coaches(at least not yet obviously), but look at chuck noll and bill walsh's first few years and their records in close games ( -horrible- )

That's interesting to see too, but I've never understood the "close games" argument. History has shown that the outcome in such games is as close to random as can be imagined. There are too many individual elements that can effect the outcome of a game for a team to have more than marginal influence in the final outcome of an otherwise close affair; blocked extra point kicks, punt return TDs, INT on a tipped ball, missed field goals, etc. I remember the storyline on Peyton later in his career when he went on a long stretch of losing close games, and everyone argued he was losing his touch, until he went on a winning mini-streak and then everyone praised his newfound "clutchness."

Clutch is a myth, folks. It's a statistical anomaly with a very small sample set with a multitude of influencing factors that somehow implicate that because the external magnitude of the plays effect on the final outcome of the game has increased, the difficulty or ability to complete them has somehow been changed compared to the rest of the game. Any added tension on the offense is matched by tension on the defense, so they all play within the same framework of success or failure.

This is why Belichick runs up scores any chance he gets: he'd rather take the element of chance out of the final outcome of a game.

#43 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

As an addition to FP's post above, think back to the Seattle game. Remember that before Cam threw the ball in the dirt, he completed a pass to Louis Murphy at the 1 ft line, but Murphy couldn't get in. If Murphy got that extra foot, it became a clutch performance by Cam. Instead, we never do get it across the goal line and it becomes a failure for him.

#44 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• HUDDLER
  • 4,874 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

As an addition to FP's post above, think back to the Seattle game. Remember that before Cam threw the ball in the dirt, he completed a pass to Louis Murphy at the 1 ft line, but Murphy couldn't get in. If Murphy got that extra foot, it became a clutch performance by Cam. Instead, we never do get it across the goal line and it becomes a failure for him.

Exactly, and what blows my mind even further is that quarterbacks who have a history of blowing teams out will always get that "yeah, but are they clutch?" silliness thrown at them (another anti-Peyton special) despite the fact that nothing cements a victory better than outscoring the other team by a wide margin.

#45 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

That's interesting to see too, but I've never understood the "close games" argument. History has shown that the outcome in such games is as close to random as can be imagined. There are too many individual elements that can effect the outcome of a game for a team to have more than marginal influence in the final outcome of an otherwise close affair; blocked extra point kicks, punt return TDs, INT on a tipped ball, missed field goals, etc. I remember the storyline on Peyton later in his career when he went on a long stretch of losing close games, and everyone argued he was losing his touch, until he went on a winning mini-streak and then everyone praised his newfound "clutchness."

Clutch is a myth, folks. It's a statistical anomaly with a very small sample set with a multitude of influencing factors that somehow implicate that because the external magnitude of the plays effect on the final outcome of the game has increased, the difficulty or ability to complete them has somehow been changed compared to the rest of the game. Any added tension on the offense is matched by tension on the defense, so they all play within the same framework of success or failure.

This is why Belichick runs up scores any chance he gets: he'd rather take the element of chance out of the final outcome of a game.

I agree with you 100% and its why i mentioned it, it's faulty logic to judge a HC by. And I'll even admit that I impulsively used that close games argument in the beginning of the season purely out of frustration but now in hindsight, while I still disagreed with some of his decision making in general which were mainly not going for it on 4th and short in the ATL game to seal it, which even though we had them pinned at the one I still would have personally liked to see that killer instinct and also deciding for the Hail Mary instead of the field goal for medlock, but he improved later on in the season with the decision making so ill give him that. But honestly his main issue this year weren't the close games as much as it was taking too long to tell chud to switch out of the silly read option base offense more than anything else. And then hearing about The lack of chemistry on the offensive staff earlier today also made me think it was really chud who brought this team down more than Rivera, although Rivera still should have acted quicker. I guess we'll just have to see what happens next season to make final judgements, but all in all... I agree the close games argument shouldn't be used as much as it is regarding Rivera's failures in his first two seasons as a HC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.