Photo
- - - - -

Is Cam just a bad read option QB?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#25 BelgianPantherFan

BelgianPantherFan

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

go back and check out what Miami did with the Wildcat.

Something very different than what teams were accustomed to seeing. They were VERY successful in running it for ONE season. Once teams figured it out....they shut it down.

Go back and watch the 1996 Panthers Defense. Dom Capers was running an exotic defensive scheme (gimmick). It was VERY successful until GB showed how to play it. Then it was shut down.

Gimmick offenses and defenses (something no one has seen before) are usually VERY short lived in the NFL. Teams figure them out and they are basically shut down.

2012: Chud's offence was shut down after 3 plays.

#26 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

3. It is kind of a hit or miss offense. You do not expect 4 yards every time, you will have no gains or losses every now and then. But you always have the home run threat. This is again great in collage as if you qp gets in the clear behind the linebackers he could very well be the fastest guy on the field and just simply outrun the safties. In the NFL this is much harder so even the very successfull runs will, if the defensive back field does its job, stay at 15-25 yard gains.

great post. I'd like to build on that part i quoted. one of the things tbat makes Kelly's offense so good is its built with the understanding that if you run it well enough and often enough, the defense is going to go all out to try and stop it, and they usually do.

kelly said they end up with more negative yardage than anyone else because they run it so often and the defense counters it by overloading the box, and that's exactly what kelly wants them to do. the rest of the game kelly makes the defense think they are running it, but then mix up what they do, exploiting those areas that the defense left exposed trying to stop their run game. that's where the more traditional elements of their offense comes out and kills the other team.

if you're gonna run it, understand that the defense is going to throw everything they have to stop it and then use that effort of theirs against them.

#27 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

So why have Brady, Peyton etc gone on decade long runs, with the almighty tape in the hands of defenses?

Ummm, because they are Tom Brady and Peyton fuggin Manning. No one and I repeat no one at that position has played QB the way those two have done it. There is absolutely no comparison.

Montana, Kelly, Marino, and Favre were all great, but those two guys are on a different planet with their skill and command of an NFL offense.

#28 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ok fair enough, but my question was why was it shut down HERE, and nowhere else. It worked for everybody else, except us. Even for a guy without a knee.

Washington was not running the same RO scheme....theirs was from multiple looks and out of the pistol formations.

#29 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

MFCEO

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I wish we would just start treating Cam like the prototype pocket passer he physically is. Why do we need a run option at all?

#30 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

1. Lack of consistent running threat.

2. Using read option as base offense.

3. Terrible offensive line.

And Cam still ended up with 741 yards and 8 TDs rushing. Yeah, real bad read option QB we have. . .

#31 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I wish we would just start treating Cam like the prototype pocket passer he physically is. Why do we need a run option at all?

I agree with this. Plus, no matter if he hands it off or keeps it, we're starting of a few yards btlos with no momentum. Sometimes the big runs will come but they've been few and far between. Not having above average run blocking makes this even more difficult.

I think he would fit way better in a more spread style playbook without the read option crap (maybe just 3 or so looks a game), and the rest of the offense more similar to the Texans or Packers and learn to run only when he has to or on designed QB draws. I dunno

#32 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

There are a lot of things that go into the read option and why we struggled with it at times compared to other teams.

It isn't just one person/player. Cam was a culprit at times, the o-line was the culprit at times, and Chud was the culprit at times.

All three need to improve, because the read option by itself isn't the issue.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

we don't have to, but he's not just a pocket passer and you'd make a huge mistake and points on the board pretending he is. designed runs need to be a part of the offense and more than that, he has to be able to run and take advantage of the holes left open on the field.

he's not safer and the offense isn't made better by putting him in a box and limiting what he does.

#34 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Run Option works here.
It's one of our more productive plays (yards/snap).

It's the other peices that don't work, that leads to the Read Option hate, b/c God forbid we mention DWill runs like a pussy for 75% of his plays this season.

yep. it works. we'll keep using it.

#35 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

we don't have to, but he's not just a pocket passer and you'd make a huge mistake and points on the board pretending he is. designed runs need to be a part of the offense and more than that, he has to be able to run and take advantage of the holes left open on the field.

he's not safer and the offense isn't made better by putting him in a box and limiting what he does.

It is funny when people talk about protecting him by keeping him from running. But almost every one of his minor injuries this year have come in the pocket.

#36 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

go back and check out what Miami did with the Wildcat.

Something very different than what teams were accustomed to seeing. They were VERY successful in running it for ONE season. Once teams figured it out....they shut it down.

Go back and watch the 1996 Panthers Defense. Dom Capers was running an exotic defensive scheme (gimmick). It was VERY successful until GB showed how to play it. Then it was shut down.

Gimmick offenses and defenses (something no one has seen before) are usually VERY short lived in the NFL. Teams figure them out and they are basically shut down.

read option isn't a gimmick.