#16 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

If I understood the video correctly you are committing one of the common errors mentioned. The narrator would more likely say there is currently no proof that paranormal (supernatural) activity exists. If you could provide verifiable proof of paranormal activity, he would consider it and possibly change his position(that is being open minded). On the other hand, to accept paranormal activity without actual verifiable proof is failing to use your critical thinking skills and allows your head to be filled with nonsense(close minded). There is not a definitive explanation for everything that happens in the universe and likely never will be. That reality doesn't permit logical thinkers to just make up an answer to fill the void. Sometimes the best answer possible is "we don't yet know".

Haha yea i'm not buying the logic behind that explaination. Being that we are very limited beings (in our perspectives and interactions with the energy that makes up the light, matter, and antimatter that is all around us), and do not have all the answers to the universe, the planet, and our existance, means that there are going to be things and occurances that we do not understand, and will never understand unless we evolve in those areas.

And wouldnt the fact that if something happens outside our box of understanding automatically make it supernatural, or at least a candidate for it? And who gets to be the judge on what is considered proof versus what is not? I'd say its very close-minded, and not exactly rational to discount the possibility of paranormal activity across the board, especially when our senses, perception, and awareness in the general scheme of things is so low. Not to mention, it is very arrogant (and naive) to say that there is no such thing as supernatural phenomena when we know that we have nowhere near a complete understanding on things.

Their arguments dont make sense, and seem to exist on a very shallow level of critical thinking.

#17 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Haha yea i'm not buying the logic behind that explaination. Being that we are very limited beings (in our perspectives and interactions with the energy that makes up the light, matter, and antimatter that is all around us), and do not have all the answers to the universe, the planet, and our existance, means that there are going to be things and occurance that we do not understand, and will never understand unless we evolve in those areas. Anything we do not undertand by default is going to be paranormal...and we should suggest such occurance being that we have no where near a complete understanding of things.

And wouldnt the fact that if something happens outside our box of understanding automatically make it supernatural, or at least a candidate for it? And who gets to be the judge on what is considered proof versus what is not? I'd say its very close-minded, and not exactly rational to discount the possibility of paranormal activity across the board, especially when our senses, perception, and awareness in the general scheme of things is so low. Not to mention, it is very arrogant (and naive) to say that there is no such thing as supernatural phenomena when we know that we have nowhere near a complete understanding on things.

Their arguments dont make sense, and seem to exist on a very shallow level of critical thinking.

So do you consider lightning and thunder as supernatural and paranormal to this day or do you consider it something else now since humans understand it?

Maybe I don't understand what you're getting at but it seems your thinking here is very flawed.

#18 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

So do you consider lightning and thunder as supernatural and paranormal to this day or do you consider it something else now since humans understand it?

Maybe I don't understand what you're getting at but it seems your thinking here is very flawed.

No I wouldnt, and i'm pretty sure my logic is not flawed. To me, "supernatural" is something that exists outside conventional knowledge and the parameters in which we measure the universe and everything in it. Once something is explained, it no longer becomes a supernatural phenomena. Being that we as a species have very limited senses and awareness, there are going to be a ton of things that we cannot explain, hence its being supernatural. As I stated earlier...to suggest across the board that paranormal occurances are not possible, when we have a very minimal understanding of the world in the first place, isnt a very logical route...and is arrogantly close-minded.

#19 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

As I stated earlier...to suggest across the board that paranormal occurances are not possible, when we have a very minimal understanding of the world in the first place, isnt a very logical route...and is arrogantly close-minded.

Wasn't that exact thing covered in the video?

#20 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Wasn't that exact thing covered in the video?

As far as I understood, is the video was essentially implying that there is no such thing as a paranormal event...and just because something is unexplained, it simply means no more than that it is unexplained...whatever that means, haha.

#21 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

No I wouldnt, and i'm pretty sure my logic is not flawed. To me, "supernatural" is something that exists outside conventional knowledge and the parameters in which we measure the universe and everything in it. Once something is explained, it no longer becomes a supernatural phenomena. Being that we as a species have very limited senses and awareness, there are going to be a ton of things that we cannot explain, hence its being supernatural. As I stated earlier...to suggest across the board that paranormal occurances are not possible, when we have a very minimal understanding of the world in the first place, isnt a very logical route...and is arrogantly close-minded.

A couple of things.

- No one ever said paranormal occurrences are not possible. That is your own assertion.

-You said earlier that if something isn't understood then it is supernatural. That is a terrible assumption, my example of thunder features why that is a bad practice.

The video covers everything you're saying. maybe you just don't get it.

#22 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

As far as I understood, is the video was essentially implying that there is no such thing as a paranormal event...and just because something is unexplained, it simply means no more than that it is unexplained...whatever that means, haha.

It actually says the exact opposite.

#23 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

It say to say there is no way there is any paranormal activity is close minded. To say "This event is unexplained, therefore it is a paranormal event" is even more so.

#24 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

It say to say there is no way there is any paranormal activity is close minded. To say "This event is unexplained, therefore it is a paranormal event" is even more so.

yes but that doesnt mean in every instance it would be close-minded to suggest that an incident would be paranormal.

#25 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

You can "suggest" whatever you'd like as long as you admit it's a wild assed guess.

#26 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

yes but that doesnt mean in every instance it would be close-minded to suggest that an incident would be paranormal.

In the example the person didn't suggest it was paranormal they said it was. I think there is a difference.

#27 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

In the example the person didn't suggest it was paranormal they said it was. I think there is a difference.

Which is what I was getting at earlier. Through that logic it would seem that they are essentially implying that there is no such thing as a paranormal event. My previous comment was intended to display that some unexplained events would indeed be paranormal, however not all unexplained events would necessarily be paranormal.

#28 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

OK. Now you're back to being close minded unless you have some pretty impressive data to back up your statement.

#29 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Which is what I was getting at earlier. Through that logic it would seem that they are essentially implying that there is no such things as a paranormal event. My previous comment was intended to display that some unexplained events would indeed be paranormal, however not all unexplained events would necessarily be paranormal.

How in the world do you know that some unexplained events are paranormal?

#30 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

OK. Now you're back to being close minded unless you have some pretty impressive data to back up your statement.

How in the world should that be considered close minded? It is close-minded to suggest that there is no such thing as a paranormal event, which is what you guys are doing.

It is also close-minded to assume that everything that could happen would only do so in your parameters of understanding.

How in the world do you know that some unexplained events are paranormal?

Depending on the nature of the event it would be easy to tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com