Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nc republicans propose poo policy, as is tradition

53 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Transplants have complained for decades here in NC about paying tax on food...while under democrat rule. Rid of income/corporate tax and shift to consumption and all hell naw...that's crazy!

What gets me is how much groceries cost here. Meat and dairy product prices doubled and in some cases tripled when I moved across the country. Add sales tax on top. WTF?

And the annual vehicle tax.... On top of the highest gas taxes.... While pushing for tolls.... And still receiving stimulus money..... Oh hell naw. Somebody better start auditing.

Posted · Report post

iirc part of the reason the gas tax is really high is because north carolina has a lot of roads to maintain

Posted · Report post

iirc part of the reason the gas tax is really high is because north carolina has a lot of roads to maintain

Every state has a lot of roads to maintain. But most states have city and county roads. NC doesn't. The state maintains all roads.

Still - that annual vehicle tax that goes to your county? what does it fund?

Posted · Report post

the reason nc gas taxes are so high is the 1950's funding allocation method they have.

and i think in a counterintuitive way, part of the tax reform in this thread to topple that old dinosaur that Eastern NC has had a stranglehold on with misuse of highway robbery funding.

Posted · Report post

I don't mind the higher gas tax. We have a lot of narrow roads (should be one lane, but painted for two) that are laid to the lay of the land and are not graded. Those roads need to be rebuilt for sure and it's going to cost. Maybe this time they'll use actual traffic engineers.

Posted · Report post

I'll let you figure this one out on your own.

How would a tax on groceries (something everyone buys) be more of a burden on poor people

In Texas we virtually no taxes in a grocery store.

Posted · Report post

If gas taxes arent high enough to cover the state's Dept of Transportation costs (NC's dont last time I checked), you are essentially subsidizing cars over other forms of transportation

Posted · Report post

Every state has a lot of roads to maintain. But most states have city and county roads. NC doesn't. The state maintains all roads.

Still - that annual vehicle tax that goes to your county? what does it fund?

NC does in fact have more road miles than most comparable sized states, plus we do have much, much better road maintenance than at least our neighboring states. Compare NC rural roads to SC rural roads... huge difference in quality.

Just looked it up... NC is 16th in total road miles but only 28th in total area. Only Pennsylvania and Ohio are below us in area and higher in road miles on those lists.

Posted · Report post

I thought NC was #2 in miles of highways behind Texas

Posted · Report post

http://www.cubitplanning.com/blog/2010/02/road-miles-by-state/

It does specify that that list is "lane miles"...

Trying (unsuccessfully so far) to find a centerline miles list...

Posted · Report post

Misleading cherry picked statistic.

NC doesn't have city or county roads. All roads are maintained by the state. NC has the second most state-maintained roads, only because cities and counties do not maintain roads.

Minnesota, for example, has Interstate highways, US highways, state highways AND county highways.

Posted · Report post

Interesting. Thanks for that info.