Photo
- - - - -

If a sure-fire WR1 is not available after our first 2 picks, should we wait? Presuming we go Line with 1 and 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#25 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

I think TE2 is a bigger need than WR"1" in rounds 1, 2 or 4. I'm not sold on Barnidge as a receiver or blocker. Smitty, Lafell, Gettis, maybe Murphy, Pilares, Adams and Bryant are a solid core, as well as a giant WR with one of our 6th round compensation picks perhaps.

One Offensive Lineman, an interior one, a big DB to compete at FS, and a tight end to back up Olsen are our three biggest needs, I'd say.

#26 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

To clarify: obviously there are no sure-fire anythings at any position, but there are guys who can be found in later rounds who may have the legitimate potential to come in and make an immediate impact and obviously become an heir apparent to the main guy.

If we can't get a guy of, for example, T.Y. Hilton's potential (late third round pick), then perhaps we should just skip WR altogether this year as far as the draft is concerned.

#27 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

To clarify: obviously there are no sure-fire anythings at any position, but there are guys who can be found in later rounds who may have the legitimate potential to come in and make an immediate impact and obviously become an heir apparent to the main guy.

If we can't get a guy of, for example, T.Y. Hilton's potential (late third round pick), then perhaps we should just skip WR altogether this year as far as the draft is concerned.

Well if that's what you're saying I pretty much agree. No more project WRs, we have plenty. But I would take any of these in the 2nd or later and feel safe they're not "projects":

Allen
Patterson
Hunter
Hopkins
Rogers

These guys are very close and with a very good combine could fit into that category:
Patton
Austin
T Williams
Woods

I might be leaving someone out, but that's who I could think of off the top of my head

#28 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Stedman Bailey should be available late in the 2nd.

#29 catnip

catnip

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I posted this before, but with Gettleman for the Giants we should make a deal with them for Nicks at WR. Maybe Beason for Nicks.
We no longer have a need for two great MLB players, so he could get cap relief and Beason could go to a contender. Good for him and great for us. thoughts !

#30 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I agree. Imo, if we doesn't take a receiver in the first 2 rounds, lets just forget about drafting one at all. These lower projected receivers who'll become projects will keep forcing us to past up on receiver over receiver in the future, bc we think we have someone in the making (Lafell/Gettis). Unless a more proven college receiver like Patton is there in the 4th, I wouldn't take a receiver.

The wide receiver position is starting to resemble our DT spot. We just keep ignoring these two positions in the draft year after year. We have three 3rd rounders (Smitty 2001/Lafell/AE 2010), two 4th rounders (Adams/Murphy), Pilares a 5th, and David Gettis a 6th rounder to round up our receiver corps. Thats terrible man.

#31 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Stedman Bailey should be available late in the 2nd.

Im not sure if Bailey is worth a 2nd rd pick. I wouldnt take him over plenty of other players that will/may be in the 2nd.

#32 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I agree. Imo, if we doesn't take a receiver in the first 2 rounds, lets just forget about drafting one at all. These lower projected receivers who'll become projects will keep forcing us to past up on receiver over receiver in the future, bc we think we have someone in the making (Lafell/Gettis). Unless a more proven college receiver like Patton is there in the 4th, I wouldn't take a receiver.

The wide receiver position is starting to resemble our DT spot. We just keep ignoring these two positions in the draft year after year. We have three 3rd rounders (Smitty 2001/Lafell/AE 2010), two 4th rounders (Adams/Murphy), Pilares a 5th, and David Gettis a 6th rounder to round up our receiver corps. Thats terrible man.

Yeah, I am starting to think we are between a rock and a hard place as far as obtaining a WR in the draft. It will be interesting to see what Gett comes up with.

I posted this before, but with Gettleman for the Giants we should make a deal with them for Nicks at WR. Maybe Beason for Nicks.
We no longer have a need for two great MLB players, so he could get cap relief and Beason could go to a contender. Good for him and great for us. thoughts !

I don't see them giving up Nicks that easy for a questionable Beason (though Nicks has his injury issues/history as well). Perhaps some other players or WRs could be in that scenario as well. Interesting thought if all parties would agree. Obviously allows us to address DT with the first pick.

#33 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think TE2 is a bigger need than WR"1" in rounds 1, 2 or 4. I'm not sold on Barnidge as a receiver or blocker. Smitty, Lafell, Gettis, maybe Murphy, Pilares, Adams and Bryant are a solid core, as well as a giant WR with one of our 6th round compensation picks perhaps.

One Offensive Lineman, an interior one, a big DB to compete at FS, and a tight end to back up Olsen are our three biggest needs, I'd say.

That's crazy dude.No one on this roster can replace Smith. If he goes down it will DRASTICALLY hurt this team because A)no one else can draw/beat a double team B) that means passes to Lafell,Olsen, Murphy will be much harder to complete and C) that will kill our running game. Finding a legit number 1 that can learn from, work with, then replace Steve Smith is crucial(ie. Chris Carter/Moss, Rice/Owens. White/Julio).
It is easier to find back up tight ends(seriously), Guards, and yes even DT's(high bust factor in first rd anyway) in FA/later rds than #1 WR or LT's. We have plenty of project and pretty good WR's. We need a legit WR = 1st rd, 2nd(maybe if Gettleman is better in 2nd rd than Hurney), or big FA(no money for at this time)

#34 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, I am starting to think we are between a rock and a hard place as far as obtaining a WR in the draft. It will be interesting to see what Gett comes up with.

Yea, I think Hurney started to ignore the receiver position once Jarrett busted out of the league. He didnt want to touch another high receiver prospect higher than the 3rd round. He got scare and took chances on lower rd receivers to try and develop, and depended on veterans (Moose/Murphy/Naanee).

Well, we have a new face at GM and I think he had made it known that he want the guys who can "score tds". Im looking forward to Gettleman taking a WR in the first two rounds.

Just look at it this way. Smitty can still ball, but hes aging and we need youths with talents who can score tds every so often. Let just swap AJ Green's TDs with Smitty's (11-4). 11 touchdowns for Smith and we'd be in the Playoffs while AJ Green is watching the Wild Card rounds from the couch.

#35 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Someone mentioned Gary Barnidge. Just for the record, he's a FA this year and may not be back.

#36 KDawg004

KDawg004

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Don't we already have a few 2nd , 3rd and 4th round wr on the roster? If there is not one worth taking in the 1st round then I don't really see the need in wasting another later round pick on one. JMO.

Obviously the chances of finding a #1 in the 3rd are slim. I just meant i rather have Cobi Hamilton (if he falls), Da'Rick Rogers (character concerns), Stedman Bailey over Pilares, Adams, and we don't know what we have in Gettis. And i'm not a fan of bringing Murphy back.