Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We Have To Find A Way To Keep Beast and Gamble

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Before he got injured

https://twitter.com/...587310906568706

2010 season.

https://www.profootb...pro-bowl-squad/

So, yeah, that talking out of your ass isn't gonna work with me.

I call 'em like I see em. Sorry it doesn't fly with you ha. I know I'm not alone in my assessment of Gamble. Those stats can be skewed to by QB's who were attacking our other corners more, which probably was a good strategy. They also don't take into account crunch time plays, where Gamble is notably bad. Just off the top of my head like the NFC championship game against Seattle, or that game against Cincinnati where he got smoked by Chad Johnson when all he had to do was extend his hands to deflect or get the pick. Last year was a rebound year for him I will admit openly. But again, with his cap hit, how could he be kept anyway? And is he worth that kind of investment for one rebound year? I say no

Posted

The way Colin came back is what Cam needs to learn

Posted

Why do we have to keep 2 overpriced players who contributed little to nothing to our 5th ranked defense this year?

Please explain....

Posted

The Panthers are projected to be $11.8m over the cap after counting for salary carryover from this year. Cutting Haruki Nakamura (clear $1.8m off the cap), Ron Edwards ($2.5m), and, sadly, Chris Gamble (a whopping $7.9m, pretty much have to cut him) would clear up $12.2m which gets us under the cap. Restructure Gross ($11.7m cap figure), Beason ($9.5m figure), and DeAngelo ($8.2m cap figure) would give us room to sign our draft class and potentially a few lower-tier FAs.

Most likely scenario IMO.

the draft comes from a different cap space and isn't included, I believe.

Posted

You never hear analyst talking about getting under cap to free up draftees.

Posted

Posted

Posted

If we can save as much as people say we can by cutting/trading Gamble/Gross/Beason we need to do it. Top 10 Defense without Gamble and Beason. Beason cant even do what he does best on this team...if he restructures though I wont complain.

Gamble on the other hand has some very good football left in him and he wont restructure. As much as it would be nice to keep Gamble that money could go to other needs on this team, for cheaper. One thing I heard by Gettleman that is a good thing is that he knows you can get good players for CHEAP. He mentioned Martellus Bennett, what a steal. Jermichael Finley could be someone he targets with some free'd up cash, for CHEAP

Posted

If I were a player I would NOT take a pay cut. It wouldn't be my problem if they cant keep the financials in order.

But as a fan...again just another big shout out to Hurney for the cap hell

Posted

...stupid....keep us in mediocrity...

Posted

No we don't. Neither are that important anynore

1 person likes this

Posted

the draft comes from a different cap space and isn't included, I believe.

That is not correct. They are part of the same salary cap.

Here's how it works...draft picks are counted at the rookie minimum until they sign a contract. And for most of the offseason, only the top 51 players count against the cap. Since the rookie minimum is the lowest salary, they basically have no impact on the cap until they get signed and until we reach the point that all 53 players on the roster count.

When people talk about a cap for picks, they're talking about a maximum dollar amount assigned to each team for signing their draft picks. Teams cannot exceed this amount. But that doesn't mean they aren't part of the same overall salary cap.

Clear as mud, right?