Who is Jim Harbaugh?

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#161 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just curious FP, who are the current "elite" coaches in the NFL, in your opinion?

#162 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

While JR's "we're running a business here" mentality is infuriating, I still don't think he said that poo about Harbaugh and even if we did want Harbaugh I don't think he ever wanted us so it would have been pointless. People act like he would have signed here just because we wanted him when the 49ers were pretty much his dream job.

#163 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• LocationLa Grange, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Just curious FP, who are the current "elite" coaches in the NFL, in your opinion?

Belichick is the most creative and ingenious coach in the NFL, and despite his Super Bowl drought he's done tremendous things with Tom Brady and a lot of spare parts. His drafting acumen is pretty average, however, which is why he has to make do with so many spare parts. But of all the coaches I've ever seen he's the one who has repeatedly changed his schemes to utilize the talent avsailable, turning Brady from a game manager in the Super Bowl era, into a vertical attack QB during the Moss era, and then into a spread QB in the Gronk era.

Sean Payton is an elite offensive mastermind, and much like Belichick utilizes an elite QB and a bunch of otherwise decent players into a formidable offense. His defensive acumen is rather poor, however, as he relies almost completely on his defensive coordinator.

Rex Ryan, while by all accounts a rather basic offensive coach, is one of the league's most brilliant defensive coaches. His two playoff games against New England were masterful, especially in the way he spent the regular season showing the Patriots a lot of zone coverages before switching to man defense in the playoffs and unleashing completely unforeseen blitz packages on Brady.

Tom Coughlin is a good strategist, but his best coaching attribute is his ability to teach individual players how to beat their direct assignments rather than utilizing any schematic advantages. Coughlin doesn't try to fool you, he simply gives his players the tools to line up and beat you outright.

That's pretty much it. Tomlin, McCarthy, Reid, Fisher and Fox are in my second tier, although Fox has his well-documented issues with his conservative bent. Which is strange, because Fox has shown plenty of capability to be creative in his schemes and coaching, he just doesn't seem to trust it.

Beyond that you're picking from a lot of unknown quantities or inconsistent track records.

#164 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith Huddle: Est 2003

• LocationChapel Hill
SUPPORTER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

harbaugh turned down a blank check from miami to coach the 49ers

we couldn't have bought his services guys

#165 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• LocationLa Grange, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Fiery, I used to think much better of your posts and post quality. Not that you care, but... Man, WTF happened?

The longer I've been on this board the more I've seen people attach themselves to one person, player, or line of thinking associated with our organization to the point that they completely meltdown when the tide turns against that person/player/ideal. It seems you're headed down that path.

You are an intelligent dude, but that doesn't mean you have all the answers.

Look, most of my diatribe tendencies have less to do with Harbaugh than it does the people that talk him up. When I introduce evidence that may indicate he might not be as good as some people claim I get called a homer or intransigent or whatever, which is infuriating. I have said repeatedly I think he's a good coach, not an elite one. But I despise the snide remarks of "well, if JR had just hired him we'd be in the Super Bowl" and other asinine bullshit like that, and I will rightly call those goddamn morons out for being goddamn morons.

#166 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Lol Fiery smh

#167 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith Huddle: Est 2003

• LocationChapel Hill
SUPPORTER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

While JR's "we're running a business here" mentality is infuriating, I still don't think he said that poo about Harbaugh and even if we did want Harbaugh I don't think he ever wanted us so it would have been pointless. People act like he would have signed here just because we wanted him when the 49ers were pretty much his dream job.

richardson directly acknowledged harbaugh in that infamous press conference by outright saying that he wasn't in the running. hurney and richardson may have known that he didn't want anything to do with the panthers, it might have been obvious that he would want a fortune, might have been a philosophical issue with hiring a "college coach" (even though he had NFL experience), etc.

harbaugh was one of the hottest prospects to come from the college ranks in years and the most sought after coach that offseason. the notion that richardson had never heard of him is absurd.

#168 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

richardson directly acknowledged harbaugh in that infamous press conference by outright saying that he wasn't in the running. hurney and richardson may have known that he didn't want anything to do with the panthers, it might have been obvious that he would want a fortune, might have been a philosophical issue with hiring a "college coach" (even though he had NFL experience), etc.

harbaugh was one of the hottest prospects to come from the college ranks in years and the most sought after coach that offseason. the notion that richardson had never heard of him is absurd.

For the longest time I actually thought that the "who is Jim Harbaugh" quote was legit just because of how much people on here throw it around. I still have no clue where people got it from because it's obviously 100% bullshit.

#169 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

when asked if JR was interested: “I’m sure he's a nice man, I’d be happy to talk to him. I have not thought about talking to him as a head coach…. But I would be nice and cordial to him if I saw him.”

#170 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Interpret that statement however you'd like, it still equals ineptitude on Richardson's part

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users