19 replies to this topic

#1 Irv

Irv

Winner Best New Huddler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I started drinking heavily after i got out of the military for about 3 years i never hurt anyone but i noticed it started to effect my health. I haven't had a drink since oct of last year but still struggle every night. Anyone have any tips or methods to avoid cravings.

#2 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Without sounding too cliche, get your butt to a meeting.
You must find a healthy alternative activity to replace the drinking.
And go see your doctor, be straight with him/her. Your body's chemistry has been messed with and you may need to get it back in line medically.

You gotta find someone to talk to- friend, confidant, whomever. As long as you're still carrying around the garbage that got you drinking to begin with, you need a person to dump it on occasionally. And in case you hadn't heard- it's very cool to be sober these days.

#3 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,123 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Not drinking tonight but wish I was. Its tough for me just to get through the week without drinking knowing I will drink on the weekend. If you have made it since Oct. that is a major feat in my book.

#4 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

exercise daily. this will solve pretty much any problem you have.

#5 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

as a general principle in life, it's always good to talk to someone about your struggles. usually that someone comes from a similar type background. go to meetings, man. i have attended a couple in the past 6 months, and plan on increasing my attendance.

#6 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

As someone who's been with an addict, although she's in NA not AA, that goes to meeting multiple times a week and is very active in NA service, I can't speak enough about truly committing to the program - especially for the first few years.

#7 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,501 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Go to meetings.

#8 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Drink lots of black coffee.

#9 PntherPryd

PntherPryd

Relic

• Moderators
  • 1,938 posts
  • LocationWilmington

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Like a lot of things in life, drinking is a habit.

Habits can be good or bad, damaging or healthful, cheap or expensive..... you get the picture. There is a great new book about habits, "The Power of Habit" http://charlesduhigg.com/ that can help. I don't think it is as simple as replacing one habit for another, i.e. replace drinking with exercise or hot tea but everyone is different.

Meetings work also, I know from personal experience, but it has to work for you specifically.

#10 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,395 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Congrats on your efforts so far. As a veteran there should be programs available to you that assist in keeping you on the right path, you should check with VA services.

#11 Future Of The Franchise

Future Of The Franchise

The Ambassador of Booty

• HUDDLER
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Not drinking tonight but wish I was. Its tough for me just to get through the week without drinking knowing I will drink on the weekend. If you have made it since Oct. that is a major feat in my book.

I'm the exact same way man.
I might go a couple of weeks without drinking but that's because I'm just sitting around the house bored as hell with nothing to do.

#12 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I usually have 1-2 glass of wine a day or 1-2 beers on weekends. Helps me go to bed.

#13 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Posted Image

#14 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,024 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Find something to do when your mind is wanting them libations... My alcohol consumption is increased during football season, then I cut way back just because I dont have the excuse until next season... I dont drink to have a good time, but why start a fire with sticks & flint when I got a lighter?

#15 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,324 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I like my cocktail and I collect wine.

Having lived in Europe and a few other places I can tell you that the attitude towards alcohol is somewhat puritanical in the USA. We tend to frown upon healthy moderation.

But I'm honest with myself in that I would be 20lbs lighter if I were abstinent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com