Gettleman not sold on read option

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#46 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

getting rid of it complete is a terrible, terrible idea.

And who said that was gonna happen??

#47 SevenSixes

SevenSixes

Born a moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Go back to that interview that he gave yesterday to the Charlotte CBS station and listen to what Gettleman says about college ball players and how the "hybrid" type players don't work in the NFL. He re-emphasizes that what is important right now is to change what the scouts are looking for.

I expect a lot of changes in the next few weeks.

Some of them may spell a hard slog for Ron in 2013..

#48 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Cam's short yardage work exposes him much more than his read option work....

RGIII is a poor example of why you shouldn't use it, b/c he has always been a magnet for contact (was a Baylor). Plus, he is built like a slim WR.

#49 panthers04100

panthers04100

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hey Gettleman, 1 of 2 QBs in the Superbowl are run option.

werent you complaining about the read option during the season?

#50 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

4 starting QBs run the read option....3 of 4 were in the postseason. He ignored that tidbit.

A related tidbit we're all ignoring is not every offense that uses the option is the same. If you took the offensive scheme we ran at the beginning of this year, where the option is just "what we do", and gave it to those other teams I imagine they would have similar results to us. Slightly better in cases of better OL quality but not world breaking.

There are ways to incorporate the option into an offense without being an "option team" that would make us unstoppable. We just need someone to install them while not selling their entire soul to it. I think at the end of the day a "pro-style" offense is the better thing to be running with just enough of the option to keep defenses honest. We don't need to kill everyone with it - the threat of it alone if we run it just enough will make the entire offense more explosive without exposing our QB to more hits than we have to.

#51 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

4 starting QBs run the read option....3 of 4 were in the postseason. He ignored that tidbit.

That's a very high percentage in a league of 32 teams. Wow!

Am I missing something? Sounds like someone's trying to stop a trend or plain stupidity. Is this the good ol boy thing 'if you're gonna play QB in our league you gonna have to do it our way' thing? Quite fishy to me. We're talking about Cam FUGGING Newton here. Why would somebody try to waste his talent?

#52 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,415 posts

read option is just another running play. it should be used the same way as any other. a bit of misdirection will go a long way. also making sure your QB isn't keeping the ball most the time, which cam was bad about. reduce the number of times he keeps it, make defenses think you're going to run it when you don't, and get the OL to block better and the read option becomes more successful. have it as just one element of the base instead of THE base and the whole offense gets better.

#53 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

That sounds like sabotaging to me. Could it be that there are some people who doesn't want dual threat QBs from taking over the league so they'll sabotage even their own team?

What?

Cam also broke his leg behind that OL against the Saints 'pocket passing'.

What?

#54 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,415 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Am I missing something? Sounds like someone's trying to stop a trend or plain stupidity. Is this the good ol boy thing 'if you're gonna play QB in our league you gonna have to do it our way' thing? Quite fishy to me. We're talking about Cam FUGGING Newton here. Why would somebody try to waste his talent?

did he say that he wanted it to stop or keep cam from running? nope.

sounds like he's just an advocate of a more balanced offense and he wants his QB around longer. the offense with cam can be just as or more effective by not limiting it to just one small group of running plays.

#55 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I actually like when Gettleman speaks (even briefly/in passing, like this maybe).

We learn more about him, the team, and how he sees certain things, considering we didn't know much with his recent arrival.

He's supposed to be a straight shooter, right? Talk on Mr. Gettleman (till we get sick of it). LOL

#56 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'm still on the fence about whether this is a troll or not...but...

Noone is advocating wasting Cam's talent. But it's silly to believe that if he's not running the option as the primary running play he's being wasted. Cam has tremendous potential (and existing talent) as a passer - he is not The Golden Calf of Bristol. The threat of him taking off and running can be just as effective as the act as long as it's done sparingly. You then have the added benefit of Cam not being exposed to as much punishment.

#57 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,020 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I don't see it this way. The first half of the season was a failure because of leaning on the read option. Someone on here had actually counted the amount of times we used the read option from the first half compared to the second half. And it was a lot higher than the second half. When we started putting Cam under center, then sprinkle in the read option is when we were most successful. The Atlanta game comes to mind. When you utilize it in certain situations, you give the Defense another look that they haven't seen all game. Hence, Cam breaking off a 70 yard TD run. When you consistently use it, the Defense adjusts. The element of surprise is no longer there.

This also has to do with the O line. They have to block for an extended period of time, something that our weak O line had trouble with. This also hurts the O line's stamina. I like what Gettleman is pushing for, and I think a lot of people here agree, from what I've read.

Think of the spread option as a play action pass. When you continually use it you are not tricking anybody. They see your tendencies. Having a more balanced attack with a traditional attack, with the spread option sprinkled in is when we found the most success. I blame Cam's "sophmore slump" entirely on Chud and Rivera not making him stop that BS.

Well you also have to consider the fact that were weren't running it well and at the pace you need for it to be effective.

And I agree that our O-line had problems blocking for it.

And Cam was not as decisive as he needed to be.

The reason the read option struggled earlier in the year isn't because of the read option itself, it was because or our poor execution of it from the coaches, to the o-line, and the QB.

#58 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

As much as I hated Chud installing the read option as our base offense, I hope this doesn't mean we're going to do away with it entirely. Like it or not, read option is here to stay, and the teams who can bust it out and sprinkle it in well are the teams that are going to win in today's league.

This crappy franchise better recognize that or Cam will walk. I don't think Cam would appreciate it if he can't do his first down signal or TD celebration and his team is not winning while getting hammered every time he drops back. Bad combination, that's the crap that gets entire coaching staff and GM fired. Cam into Eli? Why!?

#59 OHK

OHK

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I exaggerate but

The most dangerous hits a QB takes are in the pocket, because he's more likely to not see what's hitting him.

It's actually the opposite. Its the same as in a car-wreck; those who don't see it coming don't tense up as much, and usually suffer less injuries. Blindside hits often look gruesome precisely because the body isn't tensed up and thus gets flung around a bit more, but it absorbs the shock better. Front side hits cause more damage.

#60 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,415 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

What?

What?

i dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com