• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I agree with what you said about Hurney, but we as a board need to stop saying the above. EVERY team in the league who won or lost a close game can say what you've said. Teams we beat this season by a close score can say that if they did this, or that, differently, they could've beat us. Could we have beaten the Falcons? Sure! Could the Saints have beaten us? YEP. This whole argument is a wash.

I thought about that when I was posting this. However, these games were not just close games that we lost, these were games that we gave away. Not whining about the losses to Dallas, Seattle, even Kansas City.

The losses I point out were a direct result of Hurney's incompetence that was allowed to infect the team for the past 4 years. My point was not to make excuses, it simply shows the disconnect between the fans' understanding of how Marty screwed this team and Ron's decision-making. We had RBs who were paid about $17,000 per yard gained and we are having to patch holes at positions Marty neglected for years with special teamers, low draft picks, and cuts from other teams. These were the areas other teams exploited to win. These are the areas that limited Rivera's decisions. He was handcuffed. And before you say that all teams have these issues, few have $80 million invested in 9 players from a team that went 2-14 and 6-10 over the previous two seasons. That is why Marty was fired and RIvera was not. So to criticize Ron's decisions without considering the fact that he had crap on the field is unfair. The games I selected simply illustrated this. These games were won if Rivera had options to run the clock out or jam WRs. He did not because the right side of our OL sucks, our left guard was a confused rookie, and our center was out. Because Mary does not beleive CB is a priority, we have Norman on Brandon Marshall with the game on hte line. What were his options vs. a 5 WR set? Jam 6-5 Marshall who runs a 4.4 with a 5'11" rookie CB who runs a 4.6 and could never recover vs. the deep ball? He really had few options, but fans ripped him. If we had any player at all over there, the game is over. If we could run the ball, the game is over. Marty was fired because of this, so comparing this to the norm is not a valid argument.

#32 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,455 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

See above.

Yes, Skipper is the one guy that I'd have faith in. But would Skipper have allowed Rivera to go in at halftime of the first ATL with ball in hand and two timeouts in his back pocket? Will Skipper say, "hey dumbass lets use the timeouts and see if we can get in FG range"?

#33 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,535 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yes, Skipper is the one guy that I'd have faith in. But would Skipper have allowed Rivera to go in at halftime of the first ATL with ball in hand and two timeouts in his back pocket? Will Skipper say, "hey dumbass lets use the timeouts and see if we can get in FG range"?

I feel that this is one of the reasons that Rivera reached out and brought Skipper back. Sure, part of it is to coach the RB's but I think the larger reason is game day experience. He was let go by Rivera and replaced. I feel that if Rivera truly wanted another RB coach he could have gotten any up and comer, instead he specifically reached out for the former assistant HC from the previous staff, and one with a good relationship with the player personnel.

The most likely reason he was let go to begin with was specifically because of his ties to Fox and the potential division that it could have caused in the locker room to keep him around, this would no longer be the case in year three.

#34 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

All good points. If you don't have the Jimmy's and the Joe's it really doesn't matter about the X's and O's.

THanks--We just have too much invested in some positions while other were ignored. Gettlemen should fix this.
If I am playing golf and several clubs are missing or broken, I am sure outsiders would question why I am putting with my three iron.

#35 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • 4,574 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

All good points. If you don't have the Jimmy's and the Joe's it really doesn't matter about the X's and O's.

Coincidentally, we have a Jimmy and a Joe and they've both underachieved.

#36 FastNFurious

FastNFurious

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Don't worry... we have really pretty uniforms. Nobody will notice our lack of competent coaching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.