• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#181 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm not saying people can't be a fan if they didn't attend the university; I'm saying it's different.

The Panther analogy doesn't work to me since the Panthers are a single team that represent the Carolinas. The organization is part of a 32 team business with teams that rep cities or regions all over the country. NC State's athletics are supposed to represent the University. I 'chose' to be a Panthers fan true, though the biggest reason I became one was because I live in NC. I suppose if you live in Chapel Hill or Raleigh it would be hard not to pick a team. And likewise, there are plenty of people who went to the university and aren't 'fans'. But it is a different fan experience if you attended the university.

I guess it just angers me when people who live in Wilmington or Boone or wherever trash talk me about how many National Championships UNC has won when they haven't even been to Chapel Hill and only watch their basketball team, AND only when they're good. I have plenty of friends who went to UNC who I respect a lot more when they poo talk me than someone who chose UNC because they were good when they were young.

Oh, and I've seen that university athletics comparison chart all over the interwebs, How many of those National Championships were before you were born? That's like me bragging about Grover Cleveland being elected President in 1884 because I'm a Democrat. :)

Yes, UNC is an older university with a much more storied athletics program, I'll grant you that. NC State has had it's moments, and I believe they're on their way to creating some new ones THIS YEAR.

I see what you mean now, I just saw some people say "You're not a real fan if you didn't attend the University". I know (not from personal experience) how different it is to be in the fan section to the regular section... It's just a different energy.

Well I live about two hours away from Chapel Hill and have been pulling for them (all sports) since my younger days. I've been there for the good times and the bad.

And that chart was all in good fun sir because like you said most of those championships were before I was born.

#182 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

You cant grow up in North Carolina and not have a favorite college sports team. I probably watched 15 ACC tournament games while in middle school and high school, its just something everyone watches and cares about. Hell I've met several UNC students who used to be Duke fans growing up- seems crazy but you have to keep in mind that little kids are frontrunners

#183 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

The loud atheist minority drummed Tim Tevo out of the NFL.

• HUDDLER
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

UNC totally owned back in the 19th century

Posted Image

OUR STATE BITCHES^^

#184 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Well the only reason state is a "basketball" school is one lucky run they made 30 years ago. Oh wait, did you become a football school when your mediocre team beat UNC a few times in a row?

#185 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

UNC totally owned back in the 19th century

Posted Image

OUR STATE BITCHES^^

Ahh I remember those days back in my past life lol.
Posted Image
I would've posted a picture of the NC State banners but I couldn't find any on Google Images :P.

I'll give it to State, they've been kicking UNC's ass in football: One State fan even told me as long as O'Brien beats UNC he would have a job. While we have been leading in basketball yall do have a great team this year and if State can stay consistent I think they can make it far in the Tourney

#186 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Well the only reason state is a "basketball" school is one lucky run they made 30 years ago. Oh wait, did you become a football school when your mediocre team beat UNC a few times in a row?

where the hell did this post come from?

#187 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

where the hell did this post come from?

Hey if you dont have post things that make sense why should I have to?

#188 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Good thing UNC has won 12 National Championships since 2000 (that would count as fairly recent, correct?)

I'm not trolling or talking trash, but North Carolina will NEVER be a Wolfpack state. It's like comparing West Virginia University and Marshall, or Kansas and Kansas State.. it's just not happening. At very best NCSU is the #3 school athletically in the state of NC, but I'd also argue for Wake Forest ahead of NCSU historically speaking (and in the last 10-15 years).

#189 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm pretty sure making sense is always encouraged. I know this loss was like the most heartbreaking thing ever for you guys but you gotta collect yourselves.

#190 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm pretty sure making sense is always encouraged. I know this loss was like the most heartbreaking thing ever for you guys but you gotta collect yourselves.

I'm not sure that most UNC fans are all that upset tbh. The general consensus among Tarheel fans is that this is one of our worst teams in a long time and we expect ups and downs (mostly downs). You guys are the only ones making a big deal about the Wolfpack ending the 13 game losing streak against the Tarheels.

#191 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

ay ZB do you ever contribute anything but asshurt rep?

lemme know if you need help coping ok? Posted Image

#192 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

ay ZB do you ever contribute anything but asshurt rep?

lemme know if you need help coping ok? Posted Image

Lol do you contribute anything but nonsense 24/7?

#193 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

let it all out bro Posted Image

rep can only provide temporary relief from that abuse on sat. Posted Image

#194 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

This thread has turned into a pissing contest lol

#195 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,379 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

How is it your state when you lost to Wake f'n Forest. Gimme a break. You guys get hype when you win one game. Carolina fans get hype when the team brings home the trophy. That's the difference.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nc state, unc, basketball, ALL THOSE JIMMIES, ALL THAT RUSTLIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com