24 replies to this topic

#16 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

But that presupposes that they would want to. That for some reason the US Govt would find you and your habits uniquely interesting out of the 313 million other Americans.

One of the perhaps positive effects of developments like this is the raw amount of data that is being stored is astronomical. We are measuring information in Zetabytes and there probably isn't a Zetabyte of storgae in the world.

So one day you may have every conversation and movement I make stored on a hard drive somewhere but good luck sifting through it.

When i worked for a firm of 200 people every email was tracked and stored. People of course were worried that someone was reading through emails. The IT guy laughed and said the raw man hours to go looking for stuff would be overly prohibitive.

#17 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, it's not the data, it's the search engines that you should be worried about.

Take FB's new Graph Search for example. I can look up "Men who like Carolina Huddle and Glee" and find all of you fugers on it.

No joke.

#18 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

They can speed up the search by filtering keywords and phrases in messages.

#19 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,798 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

They can speed up the search by filtering keywords and phrases in messages.

Just like if you say the word "kilo"..on the phone it triggers a few actions.

#20 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Just like if you say the word "kilo"..on the phone it triggers a few actions.

I imagine it does! lol

#21 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

OK so Ill bite.

Whats the concern over the use of this technology over US soil? Why should I be concerned? What right/privilege/freedom is in danger by these things being in the sky? And dont give me some hyperbolic slippery slope bullshit answer. Tell me why I should be concerned by this.

The very fact that the gov feels the need to watch it's own citizens the same way they watch 'terrorists' speaks volumes to most of us... How does this fly over your head?

Do these technologies and drones have to start firing missiles at people in the USA before they will draw a line in the sand? Only a fool could see what is coming and not feel worried about it.

There has not been a legitimate terror attack on America in almost 12 years, and the attack 12 years ago is highly questionable itself... What is the purpose for this? Why now?

#22 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

The very fact that the gov feels the need to watch it's own citizens the same way they watch 'terrorists' speaks volumes to most of us... How does this fly over your head?

Do these technologies and drones have to start firing missiles at people in the USA before they will draw a line in the sand? Only a fool could see what is coming and not feel worried about it.

There has not been a legitimate terror attack on America in almost 12 years, and the attack 12 years ago is highly questionable itself... What is the purpose for this? Why now?

It "flies over my head" because you are jumping to a couple of conclusions that I dont think are appropriate or even rational.

First off you are assuming that they are going to be (or possibly already are) deployed in widespread surveillance operations over US soil. Surveillance operations of average citizens doing the banal poo that average citizens do. Dude I hate to break it to you but the government doesn't feel the need to watch you. You're just not that interesting. I'm not either so dont feel bad. And even if either of us were, there are far better ways for our government to keep tabs on us than deploying a drone that cant see me when I go into a parking deck.

Then you jump to missiles on theses recon drones and even suggest that the government would deploy those weapons against those same boring citizens. Really?

And as to the purpose for this? How about monitoring the borders, or high resolution monitoring of military base perimeters, or high resolution aerial cartography, or even monitoring of remote national parks/resources? I'm sure the list could go on for days.

Again...
Stay away from all of the hyperbole and tell me why this is a threat to me or my freedoms and Ill listen with an open mind, but when you start telling me that this is the first step to goosestepping fascists marching down main street and you just sound like the lunatic fringe.

#23 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

It "flies over my head" because you are jumping to a couple of conclusions that I dont think are appropriate or even rational.

First off you are assuming that they are going to be (or possibly already are) deployed in widespread surveillance operations over US soil. Surveillance operations of average citizens doing the banal poo that average citizens do. Dude I hate to break it to you but the government doesn't feel the need to watch you. You're just not that interesting. I'm not either so dont feel bad. And even if either of us were, there are far better ways for our government to keep tabs on us than deploying a drone that cant see me when I go into a parking deck.

Then you jump to missiles on theses recon drones and even suggest that the government would deploy those weapons against those same boring citizens. Really?

And as to the purpose for this? How about monitoring the borders, or high resolution monitoring of military base perimeters, or high resolution aerial cartography, or even monitoring of remote national parks/resources? I'm sure the list could go on for days.

Again...
Stay away from all of the hyperbole and tell me why this is a threat to me or my freedoms and Ill listen with an open mind, but when you start telling me that this is the first step to goosestepping fascists marching down main street and you just sound like the lunatic fringe.

I just dont understand the need for them to watch us. They work for us, if anything we should be watching them.

You say that they have no interest in watching us, if that is so, then why are they deploying all of this technology to do exactly that?

And yes, maybe we are boring and they are not watching us in particular... that doesnt always mean that things will always stay that way. We cant see the future... there could be a civil war or an uprising in the near future, or some home grown terror attack that could change our country overnight. Look how much it has changed in 12 years alone...

Why is it that I am lunatic fringe because I do not want military technology flying over my head by a government that the people trust less and less every day?

#24 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

There are a few scared people who need these things to protect them from the lunatic fringe 99% who are claiming high treason, massive fraud, money laundering and crimes against humanity. If these peasants think they're going to lock somebody up they've got another thing coming!!! Right? Right?

Pay no attention to that thing in the sky.

#25 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

I just dont understand the need for them to watch us. They work for us, if anything we should be watching them.

You say that they have no interest in watching us, if that is so, then why are they deploying all of this technology to do exactly that?

And yes, maybe we are boring and they are not watching us in particular... that doesnt always mean that things will always stay that way. We cant see the future... there could be a civil war or an uprising in the near future, or some home grown terror attack that could change our country overnight. Look how much it has changed in 12 years alone...

Why is it that I am lunatic fringe because I do not want military technology flying over my head by a government that the people trust less and less every day?

I'm not saying that you are part of the lunatic fringe, just that some of the slippery slope arguments sound like their talking points.

That the are watching us is an assumption on your part. I dont believe that is is a logical step to think that just because they have the tech means they are using it domestically. That's not to say that I think these drones have never taken pictures of US soil and US citizens but to suggest there is a sustained and comprehensive operation to monitor the citizenry is a few steps too far in my mind. And in order for it to approach the realm of violating my freedoms, the operation would need to be very close to 24/7 border to border surveillance.

And that's what this is about to me. Are they violating my freedoms and rights by using these devices domestically? I'm not concerned with some future civil conflict that might happen where having had the drones deployed would give the government some advantage. I'm concerned with my right to be free from unwarranted search, my right to freedom of association and movements, and my right to privacy where it can be reasonably expected. And in the end I dont see how this drone with this camera reduces or in any way infringes on any of those freedoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.