Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Rivera-Cam Regime: 2 years and 32 games in

40 posts in this topic

Posted

You didn't answer the question. I didn't ask you who was ultimately responsible. I think that Rivera would gladly fall on the sword and take ultimate responsibility. That is one of the things I like about him. The question was who do you think was more responsible for how the players were used, Rivera or the coordinators who called the plays and rotated the players in. The follow-up is whether Chud leaving means we might use our running backs better which could make Cam and the offense even better than last year.

I answered as far as I'm concerned. ;)

As to the suggestion perhaps the running backs weren't used correctly the last two seasons.

Not a half, a game or even a 3 or 4 game stretch possibly to Cam and the team's detriment.

I can find nothing more damning to Rivera as a head coach

Posted

I want to hear your honest non-fanboy opinions on the Rivera-Cam era so far.

Things to possibly answer:

-What's your favorite win

-Describe your mood about the team with keywords

-Rate it out of 10

-Favorite/Least Favorite acquisition

-Worst Loss

-Favorite draft pick

-Most memorable moment

-Will 2013 be Rivera's last season?

...I think you get the picture

and the big one: Approve or Disapprove of our current direction?

-What's your favorite win- Win vs the Texans, most complete team win IMO.

-Describe your mood about the team with keywords- Sorrow, I have a feeling that some of my favorite players will be cut or traded in a few months.

-Rate it out of 10- 5

Favorite/Least Favorite acquisition- Olsen/Nakamoron

-Worst Loss- I have 3 worst losses, 2012 Falcons game, 2012 Giants game and 2011 Lions game.

-Favorite draft pick- 2011 Cam, 2012 Luke.

-Most memorable moment- Fumbleroski and Cam's 25 yard scramble vs the RedSkins in 2011.

-Will 2013 be Rivera's last season? No.

I approve in the direction the team is headed.

Posted

-What's your favorite win 2012 WIN OVER ATL

-Describe your mood about the team with keywords

-Rate it out of 10 6

-Favorite/Least Favorite acquisition LEAST: TRADE UP FOR J.ADAMS / FAV: OLSEN

-Worst Loss 2012 LOSS TO ATL

-Favorite draft pick KEEK

-Most memorable moment HARDY LIVING UP TO ATL COMMENTS / AFTER GAME COMMENTS

-Will 2013 be Rivera's last season? NO

Approve or Disapprove of our current direction? TBD

Posted

-What's your favorite win- jacksonville

-Describe your mood about the team with keywords- underachieving

-Rate it out of 10-6

-Favorite/Least Favorite acquisition-least tolbert(love him but not a need) favorite-g-reg

-Worst Loss- tie between NYG and atlanta

-Favorite draft pick-cam

-Most memorable moment- skins game ( my first panthers game ive been too)

-Will 2013 be Rivera's last season?-no

Posted

I answered as far as I'm concerned. ;)

As to the suggestion perhaps the running backs weren't used correctly the last two seasons.

Not a half, a game or even a 3 or 4 game stretch possibly to Cam and the team's detriment.

I can find nothing more damning to Rivera as a head coach

Just like most of the Rivera haters, you avoid the obvious to dump on Rivera. I am sure Rivera would have preferred Chud to run more but from what I have read or heard, Chud is pretty arrogant and wanted to do things his way. Given everyone knew he was gone sooner rather than later it would be hard to dictate to him and make him run it your way. There is likely a part of Rivera which is okay with him leaving. Shula may be more cooperative and willing to do what it takes to win games instead of try to convince people how smart you are so you can get a head coaching job elsewhere.

Posted

-What's your favorite win 2012, Atlanta

-Describe your mood about the team with keywords Cautiously optimistic, but realistic

-Rate it out of 10 When it comes to the Panthers, I'm most always on 10

-Worst Loss 2012, @ Atlanta

-Favorite draft pick Cam Newton

-Most memorable moment After Cam gave this kid a football

-Will 2013 be Rivera's last season? Unless we totally bomb and/or don't go .500, I kinda doubt it.

Approve or Disapprove of our current direction? In the short-term, yes. In the long-term, we'll see (too early to tell).

1 person likes this

Posted

-What's your favorite win - Atlanta in 2012

-Describe your mood about the team with keywords - Annoyed, apathetic, confused.

-Rate it out of 10 - 5/10 they've made great draft picks but the on field product has been awful at times.

-Favorite/Least Favorite acquisition - Greg Olsen/Legandu

-Worst Loss - vs Atlanta in 2012

-Favorite draft pick - Cam/Kuechly

-Most memorable moment - Destroying the Bucs on Christmas

-Will 2013 be Rivera's last season? Yes.

Posted

Just like most of the Rivera haters, you avoid the obvious to dump on Rivera. I am sure Rivera would have preferred Chud to run more but from what I have read or heard, Chud is pretty arrogant and wanted to do things his way. Given everyone knew he was gone sooner rather than later it would be hard to dictate to him and make him run it your way. There is likely a part of Rivera which is okay with him leaving. Shula may be more cooperative and willing to do what it takes to win games instead of try to convince people how smart you are so you can get a head coaching job elsewhere.

Hmmm, that sounds suspiciously like a Rivera apologist.

Posted

This is why, until things change, Rivera has not demonstrated he's NFL Head Coach material during his coaching career. He hasn't done the proper research or homework (before and during his tenure) to learn the overall job, and hasn't demonstrated he knows how to make the tough decisions. He could have fired Chud at the end of the 2011 or 2012 season. And if he didn't, he should have put his foot down, as he learned to do after Hurney got fired and, when he realized his job was on the line.

It's been a two year learning process. Did the Panther hire a ready made NFL head coach, or an apprentice? Up until this point, it's been the latter.

Posted

This is why, until things change, Rivera has not demonstrated he's NFL Head Coach material during his coaching career. He hasn't done the proper research or homework (before and during his tenure) to learn the overall job, and hasn't demonstrated he knows how to make the tough decisions. He should have fired Chud at the end of the 2011 or 2012 season. And if he didn't, he should have put his foot down, as he learned to do after Hurney got fired and, when he realized his job was on the line.

It's been a two year learning process. Did the Panther hire a ready made NFL head coach, or an apprentice? Up until this point, it's been the latter.

fixed

Posted

This is why, until things change, Rivera has not demonstrated he's NFL Head Coach material during his coaching career. He hasn't done the proper research or homework (before and during his tenure) to learn the overall job, and hasn't demonstrated he knows how to make the tough decisions. He could have fired Chud at the end of the 2011 or 2012 season. And if he didn't, he should have put his foot down, as he learned to do after Hurney got fired and, when he realized his job was on the line.

Great NFL coaches aren't great year 1.....it is a process. They do learn just like everyone else.

But I must ask...what research or homework hasn't he done you are referencing?

Rivera is all in on Cam. Why didn't he fire Chud? B/c you put up w/ Chud's BS to let Newton have a stable enviroment even if the OC is flawed. Newton has the "it doesn't matter who the coach is" type potential. Most important thing for Rivera likely is having Cam in a comfortable enviroment to let him develop (and a lot of that is just time and on field learning).

Posted

Hmmm, that sounds suspiciously like a Rivera apologist.

I prefer to think that I am more balanced and able to see both sides. I have criticized Rivera for lots of things. But I know enough to also know that how personnel are used in a particular game is more about the coordinator than head coach. Obviously Rivera had input as he should, but Chud as always struck me as prideful. After getting head coaching interviews last year I bet it didn't get better. If Rivera had been an offensive guy I sure he would have been more in Chud's business and perhaps demanded a change, but as a defensive guy he was more about repairing the terrible defense which was not only badly needed, but squarely in his wheelhouse. I suspect he believed Chud when he said that getting more complicated with the read option was the way to go. Chud is a bright and innovative guy who could draw up terrific plays and design creative concepts. How many times in the past 2 years have we had a receiver wide open versus under Fox where we ran a boring Davidson creation. Smitty is the only guy who can consistently get open on his own. Everyone else needs the scheme to fool the defense or overload a zone in order to get a favorable matchup which isolates them. And Chud could do that with the best of them.

No, Rivera would have had to focus mostly on the break in the dike which was the defense and special teams.. After all, it was the late breakdowns on the defense that caused most of the damage rather than the offense being the problem (Minus the first Tampa game). That side of the ball is where Rivera said he would concentrate. I got the feeling that it was a combination of Marty getting fired, Richardson's talk and the bye week gave them time to evaluate and change things. Apparently Cam couldn't run Chud's offense as it was too complicated and was too heavily built along the read option with too many variations for every play. So during the bye week they likely reviewed and evaluated things. That is when the offense started turning around.