Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick Question

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I got a autographed Steve Smith jersey today for my birthday. Just wondering how to make sure it is authentic. My girlfriend bought it and had it framed.

Just wondering what to look for. I'm on my cell right now and can't post a picture.

Posted · Report post

ape-smith-steve-b.jpg

Does it look like this? I think the best you can do is cross reference with signatures online.

Posted · Report post

Did it come with a certificate of authenticity?

Posted · Report post

Yes it did

Posted · Report post

It came with a certificate of authenticity, so you ask if it's authentic?

Did you ask if it was autographed?

Posted · Report post

Nice one smartass. She has that and I haven't seen it. Just making sure she didn't get ripped off. And couldn't they make a fake certificate???

Posted · Report post

I would agree with Jesse, that the best way is to cross reference and compare it. Famous people who always give autographs tend to keep them all similar, imo.

Posted · Report post

Yea I checked it out signature is very similar if not the same as the pic he sent me. Thanks guys

Posted · Report post

From what I have seen, items that were signed by Smith and sold by one of his approved vendors has a holographic seal on it documenting it is authentic and a letter of authenticity with it endorsed by him. Items which he has signed at an event or during training camp for example won't have the holographic emblem but might include a certificate of authenticity. The problem with certificates of authenticity is that some of them are legitimate and designate an authentic product while others were simply created on a printer and mean nothing. Anyone can make up a letter of authenticity. It is really whether or not the body doing the authenticity is legitimate or not.

Posted · Report post

Why do you care? Do you plan on selling it? Just thank her and hang it up, its not like it will look any different with or without a certificate.

Posted · Report post

I care because she paid a lot of money for it. Just making sure she didn't drop a a lot of cash on it for something I could of done myself.

Simple question. And it will look completely different to me with if it was fake.

Posted · Report post

From what I have seen, items that were signed by Smith and sold by one of his approved vendors has a holographic seal on it documenting it is authentic and a letter of authenticity with it endorsed by him. Items which he has signed at an event or during training camp for example won't have the holographic emblem but might include a certificate of authenticity. The problem with certificates of authenticity is that some of them are legitimate and designate an authentic product while others were simply created on a printer and mean nothing. Anyone can make up a letter of authenticity. It is really whether or not the body doing the authenticity is legitimate or not.

Thank you for the info everything matches up to being real.