Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post in this thread if you want to read and contribute to a thoughtful (if exhaustive) treatise on race and leadership in football

59 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Foster Grants -4

Posted · Report post

Are your toes webbed?

Posted · Report post

Foster Grants -4

Are your toes webbed?

?

Posted · Report post

I use too much shaving cream. I've been shaving for many many years and I've still not got it figured out! I wash a lot of shaving cream down the drain because I squirt more than I need into my hand.

Posted · Report post

I have a few things I'd like to say, but I'm tired so I'll simply say this and come back tommorow.

Public speaking on camera in front of a bunch of strangers who are bound and determined to get anything on you they can attack because your name is Cam Newton and speaking in a leadership role amongst your friends and close peers are two vastly different things and I find myself just lulzing to death each and every time some buffoon in the media tries to use Cams press conferences as some form of indicator of his leadership abilities.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Are your toes webbed?

?

Posted · Report post

+89 for the anthropology references, and for this being one of the best posts I've read here.

Posted · Report post

Sir Cameron Newton: Leader of Men, Lover of Puppies...Esquire

:rock:

great piece phb

Posted · Report post

Truly fascinating and informative, PhillyB. Should be an article.

Posted · Report post

thousands of words that actually deliver rather than end with platitudes and the truth is in the middle bullshit? a good post

maybe it's a product of spending years in a rather diverse environment but i really don't understand hate for the way cam communicates, and it's incredibly offensive for one to argue or imply that cam "struggles to communicate" just because he doesn't talk like a particular group of people wants him to. there aren't really any set rules wrt communication and if anyone has trouble understanding him that says far more about that person than mr. swag man

also tbh one could very easily say that peyton sounds like he has a stick lodged firmly up his ass and there are indeed times when an "ow wee mayne" is actually just what a team needs

Posted · Report post

I was thinking about this tonight as I watched Russel Wilson give an interview on NFL Network. He is so "white friendly" it's no wonder the media heaps praise upon him. He sells. RG3 does as well. From a purely physical standpoint Cam is clearly superior but his image isn't as refined. I think it's a shame because Cam spends so much time and money giving back to the community but his lack of "whiteness" does detract from him in the mainstream media.

But Cam's communication trouble isn't just a racial issue, its generational. You can tell by the way he gives interviews that he grew up watching ESPN and sometimes he comes off the wrong way. Like when he apologized to Jerome Boger and he says "I'm going public". It made me think of a guy that grew up watching Cop dramas and gets a job as a Police Officer.

And Cam does have maturity issues. However I think the point of this thread is that maturity and refined Caucasian communication skills are not key to success in the NFL. In fact many NFL players reached amazing heights with no social skills while engaging in criminal behavior. Hall of Famers with all kinds of trouble in their lives found success in the NFL.

1 person likes this