Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers Have Least Loyal Fans per Facebook Data

95 posts in this topic

Posted

I mentioned in another thread, the Redskins old owner George Preston Marshall was a vehement opponent of racial integration and a huge advocate for racist policies. In reaction a lot of the Redskins market (which probably would have included NC at the time) started to cheer for their division rivals the Cowboys in protest. It was many decades ago, but that would've been passed down through generations. The Panthers just need some winning seasons to steal those fans.

That may be true, but how does that explain all the white trash redneck goofy ass Cowboys fans I often see?

1 person likes this

Posted

This is not really a measure of fan loyalty, its the percentage of fans within a 50 mile radius of the city. So really the Panthers are hurt here by Charlotte's location because the 50 mile radius includes a lot of Tennessee and Georgia and leaves out large chunks of the Carolinas. So even though there is no rival city within 50 miles, state lines go a long way in determining favorite teams

did miles get longer?

Posted

That may be true, but how does that explain all the white trash redneck goofy ass Cowboys fans I often see?

like i said...many of the landry/staubach fans have bred.

Posted

The Cowboy fanbase is the epitome of bandwagon. Someone hear's the name America's team and says well I live in America, so they must be my team.

Posted

The art of a true fan base is having loyal fans (even when you lose. i.e. Browns fans). Gaining fans from winning doesn't mean you have a loyal fan base, it means that the majority of your fan base consists of fair weather fans who are supportive in the good times and critical/non-existent in the bad. You can believe that.

how did the browns get their fans? where do they come from?

panthers dropped into the middle of an area with fans from a lot of different teams and an area that draws people from other areas who are already loyal to other teams.

panthers are going to have to rely on an originally small base of fans slowly creating generational fans and converting fans of other teams. to convert fans, you have to give them a reason beyond, you know....just being here. you win over fans by being something we haven't been...a winning team. create hype by winning and then building on momentum the next year. its a snowball effect. you get rolling and the small snowball of fans gets bigger.

and all that hating on fairweather fans going on is ridiculous. most loyal fans start out as fairweather fans and picking up fairweather fans isn't a bad thing because it usually means something good is going on.

Posted

I don't really know if Facebook is a great criteria for measuring fan loyalty :unsure:

That said, winning fixes everything. The fanbase gets better when your team becomes a consistent winner.

Posted

oh....and lol at the notion that if you're critical of the team you're a fairweather fan.

Posted

rayzor is correct...you guys ever been to BOA in the playoffs? its fuging heaven

unfortunatley, it's a rare occurance. Fans are mostly born from winning, not just because they live here, or near, or like the colors of the uniforms. Winning gives new poeple a reason to be a fan...us old fans can remember but really we don't have a good reason, not latley (living in NC isn't considered a good reason IMO, cause if I moved I'd still be a panther fan). thanks to JR.

there are some exceptions, like a longer histor but its not hard to notice the most loyal fans come from the msot successful franchises in terms of WINNING.

Posted

They had classier ancestors lol

Actually I think that story accounts for mostly black Cowboys fans of the area. Most are probably just 90s bandwagon holdovers who don't watch games but just want to claim a team.

Posted

oh....and lol at the notion that if you're critical of the team you're a fairweather fan.

Agree in general , but it depends somewhat on the criticism.

Informed criticism I have no issue with. People who have nothing more to offer than "this team sucks, fire everybody and cut the whole team" annoy me

Posted

Nope. Won't happen, you aren't going to get STEELERS fans to change alliances for the fuging Carolina Panthers. There have been winning seasons where the stadium is still filled with other teams' fans.

I was pretty much a diehard Steelers fan, but once I learned the home state was getting a team, especially one that represented all of Carolina, I was on it. I held onto the Steelers for a bit, but my natural inclination to support the home just gradually took over---without me even being aware of it. I'm Panther down.

win more games, have more fans. its as easy as that.

how many people want to back a team with only 4 winning seasons ever and no winning seasons since '08?

if this team wants more loyal fans, earn them. want to win more fans then you have to win more games...pull off more games that matter and more winning seasons.

Perhaps, but I don't buy it. Even in the days leading to the Super Bowl, Panthers fans seemed just as scarce. We just got some shitty, backwards-ass thinking fans. Even Bills fans outdo the Panthers'.

Posted

how did the browns get their fans? where do they come from?

panthers dropped into the middle of an area with fans from a lot of different teams and an area that draws people from other areas who are already loyal to other teams.

panthers are going to have to rely on an originally small base of fans slowly creating generational fans and converting fans of other teams. to convert fans, you have to give them a reason beyond, you know....just being here. you win over fans by being something we haven't been...a winning team. create hype by winning and then building on momentum the next year. its a snowball effect. you get rolling and the small snowball of fans gets bigger.

and all that hating on fairweather fans going on is ridiculous. most loyal fans start out as fairweather fans and picking up fairweather fans isn't a bad thing because it usually means something good is going on.

Most fans start with fans actually pulling for the team where they are from, not latching on to a team that their great, great grandfather came from.

So cool the Browns USED to be a good team. The Lions have never had a Super Bowl team and still have a more passionate fan base then us, hell, there are three teams in Florida and Jacksonville still has a more loyal fan base because the people in Jacksonville at least realize that they live in the city of Jacksonville therefore the Jags are their football team.

The only fan base that has truly migrated to the Carolina's is the Steelers. A lot of the Redskins fans converted to Panther fans when the Panthers first got here or when the Redskins started going on their rapid decline. I was born in Charlotte and now the city as well as anyone. If you want to see a real fanbase. Come up to Raleigh a few times and go to a Hurricanes game (Hurricanes fans could easily be a fan of the Florida teams or Washington, but no they recognize their roots and pull for the team from where they originate, that's all I ask from Panther fans).

You can go to regular season Hurricanes games and they outdo any enthusiasm that and Panther game has ever had (including playoff games).

Sorry for any grammatical errors, I'm on my phone.