Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Everything you need to know about our cap, potential cuts and free agents.

176 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What? What's that? Someone that actually knows how to talk football and is not using Madden 13 as a base for their argument/opinion?

You sir win the internet....for today. :)

Posted · Report post

Pinned

Posted · Report post

I agree with all your cap numbers except for Nakamura's. Pat Y in his ESPN article a month or so ago said the Panthers could save $1.8m by cutting him:

[quote]Haruki Nakamura: The Panthers signed him as a free agent in 2012, and Nakamaura didn’t really work out. The Panthers could free up $1.8 million by releasing him. [/quote]

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/43821/carolinas-nightmare-cap-situation

Trying to figure out what the discrepancy is. Of course, wouldn't be surprised if Pat Y is just flat out wrong.

Posted · Report post

OP, thank you sir.

Posted · Report post

Nice job.

So I'm reading that as we have to get down roughly between $15.3 and $15.8 million to meet the 2013 cap.

Fun times.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='UNCrules2187' timestamp='1360251659' post='2127742']
I agree with all your cap numbers except for Nakamura's. Pat Y in his ESPN article a month or so ago said the Panthers could save $1.8m by cutting him:

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/43821/carolinas-nightmare-cap-situation"]http://espn.go.com/b...e-cap-situation[/url]

Trying to figure out what the discrepancy is. Of course, wouldn't be surprised if Pat Y is just flat out wrong.
[/quote]

He does it for a living so I trust him to a degree but if you look here http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/haruki-nakamura/ , his total cap figure is only listed at 1,633,000 and we would have to absorb 666,000 of "dead money" or unamortized "signing bonus" money and thats how I came up with my figure.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit' timestamp='1360251869' post='2127749']
Nice job.

So I'm reading that as we have to get down roughly between $15.3 and $15.8 million to meet the 2013 cap.

Fun times.
[/quote]

Yes and no. The rookies won't hit our cap until we cut down to 53. So for now we only need to cut 11.7 or 11.8 depending on the source you read to get under before the league year starts on March 12th. Then the 2nd time we have to be under the cap is when we cut down to 53 and their contracts will factor in by then.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit' timestamp='1360251869' post='2127749']
Nice job.

Fun times.
[/quote]

We also have draft picks to sign....so I think we need to get down even more to have room to sign them.

Posted · Report post

Gary Williams and Hangman are probably the easiest cuts. Then, hopefully you can restructure a few guys. I wish we got more relief from losing one of the linebackers, because we just have too many making too much money.

Was there Spotrac data on Gamble? Because it wasn't there last time I checked.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panther4life' timestamp='1360252008' post='2127753']

Yes and no. The rookies won't hit our cap until we cut down to 53. So for now we only need to cut 11.7 or 11.8 depending on the source you read to get under before the league year starts on March 12th. Then the 2nd time we have to be under the cap is when we cut down to 53 and their contracts will factor in by then.
[/quote]
[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1360252141' post='2127756']

We also have draft picks to sign....so I think we need to get down even more to have room to sign them.
[/quote]

Yeah I added the rookie # guestimate he had to that cap figure, so it included signing the rookies.

Great info p4l.

Posted · Report post

did you figure in the roll over money from last year?

good read,btw.