107 replies to this topic

#31 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Nah... time for work. I was stupid for venturing back into Tinderbox anyways... I get dumber every time I revisit this sandbox

#32 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

same old snark with no substance

Spoiler

my response to the questions posed by mmmbeans after that attempted to note the things we knew for a fact just a short time ago that turned out to be completely false. The concept of scientists being wrong while quoting hard facts flies over the head of most on this page.

I'm outty... have fun with lack of reading comprehension

#33 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,791 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

my response to the questions posed by mmmbeans after that attempted to note the things we knew for a fact just a short time ago that turned out to be completely false. The concept of scientists being wrong while quoting hard facts flies over the head of most on this page.

it's rare that i see you post anything that isn't fringe stupidity. lack of substantive responses reflects the lack of substance in your posts.

#34 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Wait, what? Are you talking about the CFC thing you posted? You were serious about that?

#35 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Eugenicists, phrenologists, and Freudian psychologists were scientists too

lol

#36 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

CO2 being a greenhouse gas is no more in dispute than CFCs cause a breakdown of O3.

The catch for the latter is justifying how a heavier-than-air molecule gets miles above the surface to perform this breakdown. Yet is was accepted as a slam dunk for anyone in the know about science just two decades ago.

Wait, do you really think that heavier than air particles can't reach the stratosphere?

#37 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

Wait, do you really think that heavier than air particles can't reach the stratosphere?

Sure they can... with volcanoes throwing them up there by force. Hence, the reason why the ozone hole gets bigger after an eruption.

I suppose that is devoid of substance though... stupid science and its useless factoids

#38 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Sure they can... with volcanoes throwing them up there by force. Hence, the reason why the ozone hole gets bigger after an eruption.

I suppose that is devoid of substance though... stupid science and its useless factoids

The idea that heavier particles will not naturally rise in the atmosphere is based on the assumption that diffusion is the dominant form of atmospheric circulation. Yet diffusion is very slow, and anyone who has been outside on a windy day knows the atmosphere doesnt circulate slowly.

Basic meteorology will tell you that vertical mixing in the atmosphere happens all the time as high and low pressure systems move across earth's surface. Its not like this stuff is a mystery, people collect samples all the time from the upper atmosphere to learn more about atmospheric chemistry. In the case of ozone, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) used as coolants at the surface mix with the atmosphere, and eventually reach the stratosphere where they destroy ozone. Its not conjecture, its a well understood mechanism

#39 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

The idea that heavier particles will not naturally rise in the atmosphere is based on the assumption that diffusion is the dominant form of atmospheric circulation. Yet diffusion is very slow, and anyone who has been outside on a windy day knows the atmosphere doesnt circulate slowly.

Basic meteorology will tell you that vertical mixing in the atmosphere happens all the time as high and low pressure systems move across earth's surface. Its not like this stuff is a mystery, people collect samples all the time from the upper atmosphere to learn more about atmospheric chemistry. In the case of ozone, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) used as coolants at the surface mix with the atmosphere, and eventually reach the stratosphere where they destroy ozone. Its not conjecture, its a well understood mechanism

Agreed. it is well understood. Volcano erupts. Ozone holes form

#40 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Agreed. it is well understood. Volcano erupts. Ozone holes form

Well volcanoes have little to do with the ozone hole and even less to do with atmospheric circulation. The ozone hole was tiny to non-existent prior to the 1980s and has begun to decline as the long lived CFCs slowly dissipate since we stopped using them.

Volcanoes do produce aerosols, which can lead to ozone destruction, but this is typically at mid latitudes and not around the poles where the ozone hole is found. This is why volcanic activity has no effect on the size of the ozone hole.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Volcanoes also do nothing to explain the appearance/ disappearance of the ozone hole every spring and summer in the antarctic. This is because the ozone hole is caused by very cold temperatures forming polar stratospheric clouds (PSCs), which are sites for free radical formation for Chlorine containing species. Once the sun returns in the antarctic spring, these chlorine radicals photolyse and destroy ozone.

Posted Image

#41 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

So, when volcanoes erupt, nothing should happen to the ozone layer... yet... it does.... pesky facts

#42 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

So, when volcanoes erupt, nothing should happen to the ozone layer... yet... it does.... pesky facts

Yes, volcanic eruptions can lead to ozone destruction. But they still have little to do with the ozone hole that forms over Antarctica every September and is gone by December

#43 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,969 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I would suggest reading State of Fear by Michael Creighton. His 20 page bibliography from a decade ago does FAR MORE actual research than that picture book by Al Gore that is still touted as indisputable science.

Good book. I read it. It is a cut and paste version of science fiction where you take the stuff you like, throw out or ignore the stuff you don't like, and create a good but fiction story around it.

I wouldn't use that book as a reference on global warming education, but I would recommend it for a good science fiction read.

Here is some good non-fiction reading on the topic if you are interested

http://stephenschnei....edu/index.html
http://www.wundergro...ne_skeptics.asp
http://www.wundergro...offear.asp?MR=1
http://www.ipcc.ch/

#44 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Good book. I read it. It is a cut and paste version of science fiction where you take the stuff you like, throw out or ignore the stuff you don't like, and create a good but fiction story around it.

I wouldn't use that book as a reference on global warming education, but I would recommend it for a good science fiction read.

Here is some good non-fiction reading on the topic if you are interested

http://stephenschnei....edu/index.html
http://www.wundergro...ne_skeptics.asp
http://www.wundergro...offear.asp?MR=1
http://www.ipcc.ch/

Let's assume the East Angola incident never happened and that all Global Climate science was working for actual truth. How good of a job have they been doing? If we were to take the predictions of just a decade ago and look at how they panned out, how well did they do?

Is anyone actually still thinking in the face of this track record that the alarmists know as much as they claim?

#45 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,791 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

this time last year i was on a cargo ship in the middle of the pacific ocean bound for new zealand writing a book. there were four other passengers on board - two ex navy vietnam vets, an elderly french man, and a scientist from the university of washington conducting research on the oxygen levels of the ocean at various latitudinal points, a data set gathered multiple times annually and added to a vast collection of data that is interpreted to track patterns of temperature warming.

i'm pretty sure that guy was paid off to fudge his data, as is every other university-employed scientist who would otherwise put a desire to find facts in place of some grand conspiracy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com