Photo
- - - - -

Let's talk about atheism (WALL OF TEXT IN OP DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#73 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

The only intellectually honest position to hold is agnosticism.

Depends what you mean by "agnosticism". When it comes to the question of belief, agnosticism doesn't answer the question. If I ask you if you believe the Panthers will make the playoffs next season, and you say, "I don't know and it cannot be known", you did not answer my question. I asked whether or not you believe it. If you do not say yes, you are necessarily saying no. Now, when it comes to KNOWLEDGE, agnosticism is better than gnosticism (speaking on religion here). If I ask you if you know whether or not the Panthers are going to make the playoffs next season, and you say, "I do not know", then you have answered my question by abstaining to answer on it. There is no way you can know either way on that, so the only honest thing you can say about what you know about it is nothing. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive.

Words have meanings, and atheism is simply a lack of a belief in a god. It is not a position of certainty. I do not believe a god exists, but I do not know this to be certain. Might there be? Sure. Any good reason to BELIEVE there is? No. I honestly do not see how anybody can call that "irrational" or "nonintellectual". There is no good reason to believe in any god or gods. To claim knowledge of the existence or nonexistence of a god is absurd, because we don't know. Nobody does. If there was evidence in either direction, then that would be groundbreaking! There would be only one form of god belief, and that is the one that has proven itself to be true. However, this hasn't happened.

#74 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

i think he means he'll live eternally in heaven.

If I must. I'd rather just hang around as a cyborg for a few thousand years

#75 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

Dey Hate Us Because They Aint Us!

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Really if heaven is populated by Benny Hinn, the Tinderbox churchies and the 700 club then ill gladly get my tan on in Dante's inferno.. with Hendrix, Gandhi and Leslie Neilson.