Photo
- - - - -

Ideally which position do you want filled in the 1st round?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Draft question (105 member(s) have cast votes)

Perfect world; Position you'd address in round round 1

1. DT (21 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. WR (33 votes [31.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.43%

3. CB (11 votes [10.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.48%

4. FS (6 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

5. Offensive Tackle (24 votes [22.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

6. Offensive Guard (10 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#37 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

OL or playmaker in secondary, don't care which position but Captain can't be our best playmaker in the secondary.

Captain might not be here so that should really put secondary at either 1-2 most important.

#38 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

There likely isnt going to be a Offensive lineman worth of taking at 14 if jockel fisher johnson and warmack are all gone. like its been said DT, OG and FS are easier to get in free agency in than WR with our current cap situation. I understand the reasoning for oline which is why i feel we should take WR in the 1st and follow it with BPA OT in the 2nd. This allows Cam to be better protected and gives the 1st round pick reciever a better chance to be protected. Take BPA Corner in the 4th if gamble is gone if we can fill DT OG and FS with some Gettlemagic. with these moves we would surely make the playoffs following the hot start we had at the end of the season. this is my ideal

P.s if patterson is gone im going with Kenny V. A potential great saftey is hard to find in free agency unless they are coming of injury.

#39 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Polls like this are stupid even for the off-season because the assumptions are unrealistic. Exactly how can we assume that a draft pick who has never played a down in the NFL will be rated as a perennial all pro.

Just a hypothetical scenario to see which position would be best filled via the draft if all players of need were rated the the same. Yes the scenario is impossible but its the only way to scientifically find out which position our fans would want addressed the most via the draft if all players were rated equal.

And exactly when do we pick players in the draft just based on talent without considering factors like differences in cost to pick up in free agency.

The point of this was to consider such factors.

For example if it comes down to WR or OT, you go with OT because cheap OTs especially left tackles are hard to find and expensive. This year by contrast there will likely be a number of WRs who will be cheaper to sign and proven. Then there is the whole issue of which positions are easiest to star right away versus those guys who need time to mature. For example, how many WRs contribute significantly in their rookie year versus those who need a year to mature like Michael Crabtree or Dez Bryant versus a Julio Jones. Then there is the whole bust rate which varies greatly by position. For example, OT busts at a lower rate than WR or DT/DE for example.

Given all these factors you would go OT and corner before you go WR.

Remember we are talking a our # 1 pick here. Premiere LT'S AND # 1 WR's are too expensive to address in free agency. I'd even argue and then go prove if you insist that top flight receivers are more expensive than top flight LT's in the open market.

There has been at lest 2-3 threads showing where rookie receiver's can make positive impacts right out the gate. Its even proven at the longest it takes them their 3rd year 99% of the time to break out.

If you draft a LT, we then are going to start them over at RT in place of Bell until Gross is no longer with us. So it would take at least as long for us to get our bang for the buck out of an offensive tackle as it would an immediate impact receiver.

Speaking of taking time to develop or "mature" as you say we have 3 CB's in James Dockery, Josh Thomas, and Norman who started for us in our win streak to close the season. All 3 of them will surely improve with experience.

#40 Kakarot

Kakarot

Aggie Pride!

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I chose WR, but I'd be cool with either WR or OL.

#41 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

percy harvin,eddie brown, sammy white, chris collinsworth, john jefferson, bob hayes, billy howton, aquan boldin , bill groman, randy moss. some of the best rookie wr season ever from these guys...

mike williams, eddie royale, hakeem nicks, victor cruz, maclin, jackson, wallace, blackmon, ty hilton, marques coltson, harold hill, jimmy orr, paul warfield, bill brooks, joey galloway, earnest givens..

im tired now but yeah all those guys were rookies and had an impact. so dont say a rookie wr never had an impact.

#42 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

OL is important to me, but the bar isn't really set very high there. i don't care about getting a probowler or all pro or elite talent of some kind.

all i want are guys that aren't liabilities. guys that don't get pushed around or get abused. guys that don't get many false starts or holding calls. guys that can just buy cam a little time and open up some holes for the run game. in other words....average. i think we can do well enough with journeymen....at least for a while. I'd rather focus my energies on getting playmakers on both sides of the ball and over time, when things drop in our lap, improve the OL. but the main thing is just being opportunistic with FAs, finding those hidden not too awful looking gems.

not conventional wisdom, i guess, but if you've got enough playmakers and enough of a D that can give you enough opportunities, then you can make do well enough without elite talent on the OL.

#43 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

DT, WR, FS

#44 4Corners

4Corners

2014 Huddle Poster of the Year.

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I voted OT; but if Cooper the OG there u gotta pick him.

#45 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

If all positions equal, I'd go CB slightly over OT or WR.

#46 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Captain might not be here so that should really put secondary at either 1-2 most important.

I hope we can find a way to keep him, but he probably wants starter money and he is really a nickel guy. I really like Captain as a nickel guy and back-up PR.

#47 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Just a hypothetical scenario to see which position would be best filled via the draft if all players of need were rated the the same. Yes the scenario is impossible but its the only way to scientifically find out which position our fans would want addressed the most via the draft if all players were rated equal.

The point of this was to consider such factors.

Remember we are talking a our # 1 pick here. Premiere LT'S AND # 1 WR's are too expensive to address in free agency. I'd even argue and then go prove if you insist that top flight receivers are more expensive than top flight LT's in the open market.

There has been at lest 2-3 threads showing where rookie receiver's can make positive impacts right out the gate. Its even proven at the longest it takes them their 3rd year 99% of the time to break out.

If you draft a LT, we then are going to start them over at RT in place of Bell until Gross is no longer with us. So it would take at least as long for us to get our bang for the buck out of an offensive tackle as it would an immediate impact receiver.

Speaking of taking time to develop or "mature" as you say we have 3 CB's in James Dockery, Josh Thomas, and Norman who started for us in our win streak to close the season. All 3 of them will surely improve with experience.

I understand that you were trying to find out what people wanted if all things are equal but my point is that things aren't equal and making a choice based on that assumption is faulty before you start because the assumptions are faulty. Anything that you are trying to do "scientifically" using faulty assumptions and impossible scenarios as you called them, has no value at all.

Secondly, it is easier to pick up good receivers in free agency or by trade then it is to pick up or trade for a LT. For example how many left tackles worth a darn have been available in free agency or by trade in the past few years. Even if we let Gross go, it will be by trade first and release only by necessity (honestly I doubt we do it). On the other hand there have been several top receivers like Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin who were traded for less than a first round pick. Others like Jacoby Jones were free agents and picked up relatively cheaply.

There will be no top left tackle free agent available this year. The top 3, Clady, Bushrod and Beatty will get signed or tagged. Th first guy potentially available may be Brandon Albert for the Chiefs who isn't that great.

The top three draft picks who would be ready to start at left OT this year- Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson might all be snapped up before we pick at 14. While others may be ready down the road, we need an impact player not one who can play in a year or two. Who can wait until year 3 for a top 15 pick to finally develop?? How many receivers are going to go top 15?? Maybe Patterson but not anyone else.

And no I don't think you draft a guy at 14 as an OT and sit them on the bench You either start him day 1 at right tackle like we did Otah or you trade Gross and throw him into the fire. As for corners if you want a number 1 corner you draft them in the first round. If we believe in who we have you pass on CBs totally. No one outside the first round is better than who we have.

#48 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Personally, I think DTs take a few years to develop.

We need instant impact.