Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Person - Gettleman and Rivera both to speak to media at Indy this afternoon

40 posts in this topic

Posted

So....about the topic of this thread....Gettleman speaking (also Rivera but will focus on the G man.)

Love to hear him talk. Wonderful Boston accent that we hear little of in the South. It might seem foreign except for the content. He seems to make a lot of sense. He seems smart. He seems like a straight shooter without being [Yankee] rude. He sounds like he knows what he is talking about. And knowing his history....how hard he has worked and how long he has waited for this chance.....disregarding the cute Boston accent...he sounds like a Panther. I like this guy.

Posted

It's expected to be after the 2015 season before the new TV money actually has an impact on the cap. Remember that the 2011 cap number was supposed to be 113 million and it went up to 121 million, then the 2012 season was supposed to have a cap around 116 and then it stayed around 121 again. This year it's gone up again (small amount, but still an increase) when it was expected to stay flat and the original number for this season was supposed to be around 118-120 roughly projected. On top of that the NFL and NFLPA number's were wrong and the player's are making around 57% of revenue and that hurts future years as well. All told, pretty much all of the money from the TV deal that was expected to hit in 2014 has been used up and isn't really expected to make much of an impact at all till 2016 at the earliest.

The expected sharp increase in cap room was expected in the 2014 of a substantial amount, when the borrowing happened it lessened the impact of the new TV deal considerably. Then the players making over the agreed 50% share killed it.

TLDR - 2014 tv money gone and isn't likely to be seen till the 2016 season. So pretty much all the teams are screwed over the next two years.

If it increases in 2015, it would help with a Williams restructure. If it doesn't increase until 2016, it still comes just in time for the expected cap hit of the Newton contract which starts to add up in the second year of his new contract which will be 2016. Silver lining??

Posted

I don't really know if I consider Te'o a "character" concern so much as I do an "idiot" concern.

But realistically, even without the goofball story, he wasn't coming here. We have Kuechly.

Posted

i really appreciate the little glimpses i've gotten into how gettleman views cap management from season to season. having a sound and stable cap situation from season to season will make it very easy to be active in free agency to fill roster gaps. having huge signing bonus/big bucks contracts on the books for 7-8 players really confines free agent possibilities to budget type guys. this is fine in the abstract, but no matter how much you want to build solely through the draft you still need to shore up certain positions through other avenues due to injuries, busts and whatnot.

1 person likes this