Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CollegePanther

Gettleman says he'll use FA to put Panthers in position to take best player available in draft

43 posts in this topic

Funny, but this draft is pretty loaded at DE in the first round. Once easily could drop.

Better team's in general, really.

You do also need to draft well to get to that point.

Exactly

Deep draft for DT too from what I've read.

This was Hurney's philosophy as well... hopefully Gettleman is better at executing it (beyond the first round).

This was Hurney's philosophy as well... hopefully Gettleman is better at executing it (beyond the first round).

Might have been a stated philosophy but he sure didn't practice it.

It was as it is for most GMs but they also seem to be on different terms in regards to long term vs. short term implications of the cap, plus hurney isn't half the evaluator gettleman seems to be.. Plus 3 rings in six tries isn't so bad :P (but I still agree that this job all comes to results and execution)

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed but me but when he mentioned we were over the cap he seemed to hesitate because at first it seemed like he was going to say something in the realms of "I was put in a bad situation from our predecessor" *cough* subliminal shot at hurney *cough* before he stopped himself and just said "we're over the cap"

Of course I could be over thinking this like I do everything else, lol..

BPA = Kenny Vaccaro

That means we're looking at DT, OG, WR and CB through FA

1 person likes this

Might have been a stated philosophy but he sure didn't practice it.

Well, to be fair, the whole BPA vs drafting for need thing isn't just one or the other; it's a continuum.

Hurney: Identify positions you ABSOLUTELY don't need, BPA from the rest in the 1st round.

Giants: Same as above, except you can never have too many pass rushers.

From what I can tell anyway. Obviously, their approaches to FA are also different and that also affects the draft.

The one position that this philosophy CANNOT apply to is your franchise/starting QB.

Gotta draft that guy.

Peyton Mannings getting released and shopping themselves around the NFL are occurrences as rare as Haley's Comet.