Photo
- - - - -

The Other Side of the Health Care Crisis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#25 Niner National

Niner National

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Its not talked about as much on here because its been in place for so long that its not worth talking about, but Duke Power is still the devil to a lot of people, democrat or republican.

After living in Maryland I was very happy to return to Duke when I moved back.

In Maryland if a bird pissed on the powerline the power would go out for hours.

There were a few thunderstorms that caused the power to go out for 2 days where I lived. Some areas less than a mile from me didn't have power for 5 days.

I was also paying as much as .17/kWh compared to the .099/kWh I paid here when I moved back. For people with 3-4 bedroom homes, $3-400 power bills were normal. With a 1 bedroom apartment I had a few months with $200+ power bills.

I like Duke just fine. Ultimately I think buying progress will turn out to be a mistake though. Progress did a poor job keeping their facilities up to date, so Duke is probably going to have to spend billions bringing those up to current standards or replacing them entirely. Everyone will pay for that.

#26 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

After living in Maryland I was very happy to return to Duke when I moved back.

In Maryland if a bird pissed on the powerline the power would go out for hours.

There were a few thunderstorms that caused the power to go out for 2 days where I lived. Some areas less than a mile from me didn't have power for 5 days.

I was also paying as much as .17/kWh compared to the .099/kWh I paid here when I moved back. For people with 3-4 bedroom homes, $3-400 power bills were normal. With a 1 bedroom apartment I had a few months with $200+ power bills.

I like Duke just fine. Ultimately I think buying progress will turn out to be a mistake though. Progress did a poor job keeping their facilities up to date, so Duke is probably going to have to spend billions bringing those up to current standards or replacing them entirely. Everyone will pay for that.

Duke energy is able to take advantage of North Carolina's abundance of hydro power opportunities. NC is one of the top 10 hydro power producing states in the country. I doubt that many others states will be adding much hydo power, since we have to take into account the enviromental impact of Dam's. NC also has the advantage of milder winters and weather, so power outages tend to occur less frequently, unless a hurricane hits.

But as far as criticisms of Duke, they get a lot of criticism as being one of those "evil" corporate entities, although we don't hear as much about it. To much spent on lobbying, not enough taxes paid, paying a departing CEO to much while at the same time cutting off power for those out of work and unable to pay, etc...