42 replies to this topic

#16 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm shocked that you arent a fan of sin tax.

But fat people cost the government more than thin people in terms of health care costs, and fat people also consume more soda. The link between sugar and diabetes is pretty fuging clear, maybe this societal cost should be including in the cost of your sugar water?

Well, that is what being libertarian really is. We should be beholden to our own life's choices and to each other. Government is not supposed to be a parent to tell us right from wrong. They should protect our rights and very little beyond that. Once you are in the business of legislating morality, you are stepping into all the traps and pitfalls that have plagued civilization since our beginnings.

It doesn't mean that community doesn't have their own purview. It simply means that government's responsibility is to ensure that community does not infringe upon the rights of the individual/minority. Otherwise, majoritarian tyranny reigns as it almost always seems to do with pure democracies. If I wish to do something that is bad for me and no one else, that is my right. The converse of that is that I alone am responsible for the consequences of my actions.

i.e. - If I am irresponsible for my health, it is not the responsibility of everyone else to pick up the tab for my carelessness.

#17 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Drinking Coke is now a sin? sin tax

#18 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Anything could be a sin depending on who you ask

#19 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,967 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

smoking 1 cigarette is a sin?

#20 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

smoking 1 cigarette is a sin?

To some people... yip

#21 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

If you can put a sin tax on alcohol then you can put one on soda.

Look, as long as we as a society have decided to treat diabetics rather than letting them die, then we should do something to encourage people to be healthy. Everyone (outside of congress) can agree that we should stop subsidizing corn so much because it drastically reduces the price of things like high fructose corn syrup, which reduces the price of cheap, sweet processed food and encourages poor people to buy terribly unhealthy food (because the price per calorie is so much less than veggies and fruit).

What to do beyond that is up for debate, but pragmatically speaking doing nothing is a bad option.

#22 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

i.e. - If I am irresponsible for my health, it is not the responsibility of everyone else to pick up the tab for my carelessness.

Look, I mean this makes sense theoretically, but its not going to happen. If we dont do something to encourage healthier eating behaviors, our healthcare costs will continue to rise.

#23 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Look, I mean this makes sense theoretically, but its not going to happen. If we dont do something to encourage healthier eating behaviors, our healthcare costs will continue to rise.

Encouraging healthier eating behaviors is the purview of community, not government. If you are okay with government deciding what is best for you, then you damn well better hope that the guys at the top agree with everything you think for as long as you are alive. If you have kids... then I guess that hope springs into perpetuity.

#24 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,933 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I hate bans.

That said, I doubt most NY citizens do their actual grocery shopping inside NYC anyways, and even less now.

#25 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Encouraging healthier eating behaviors is the purview of community, not government. If you are okay with government deciding what is best for you, then you damn well better hope that the guys at the top agree with everything you think for as long as you are alive. If you have kids... then I guess that hope springs into perpetuity.

The problem is we live in a world where the government has to spend more of our money when people get fat and diabetic. You can keep dreaming of a world of personal responsibility, but thats not the situation we find ourselves in.

I would say there are worse things in the world than a government with an incentive to keep its citizens healthy

#26 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

You can still buy them in stores, just not restaurants.

#27 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,933 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

You can still buy them in stores, just not restaurants.

restaurants don't serve 2 liter bottles of coke. the examples the OP gave are pretty easy to circumvent. bring 2 smaller pitchers.

it's more of an idiotic legislation than a real hindrance to anyone.

#28 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

restaurants don't serve 2 liter bottles of coke. the examples the OP gave are pretty easy to circumvent. bring 2 smaller pitchers.

it's more of an idiotic legislation than a real hindrance to anyone.

Pizza shops do. That said, stupid but not a big deal... Want a big soda? Eat at home or drink 3 regulars, or go to a place with free refills. Not a big deal.

#29 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

The government deciding what you can and can't do with your own body? Man I wish conservatives would get all outraged and stuff about government intrusion like this.

#30 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com