Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Cop Acquitted

38 posts in this topic

Posted

I dont come into the Tinderbox much so sorry if there is a thread on this already but how in the world can this cop be acquited with such damning video evidence?

http://youtu.be/4qJblw-JWdQ

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130227_Ronnie_Polaneczky__Verdict_a_real_slap_in_the_face.html

WE'RE NOT STUPID. We know what we saw. And what we saw was a big, muscular cop cold-cock a small, unarmed woman who was moving away from him.

Lt. Jonathan Josey slugged Aida Guzman in the face with her back turned to him. As she fell to the ground, he hit her in the back, too. The video, shot by a bystander after last September's Puerto Rican Day Parade, caught it all, including Guzman's bloodied mouth as she was cuffed and led away.

After viewing the video, Philly Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey did the right thing and fired Josey.

District Attorney Seth Wiliams did the responsible thing and brought assault charges against him.

Mayor Nutter did the gracious thing and apologized to Guzman, on behalf of the city, for Josey's behavior, which left him feeling "appalled . . . sickened . . . and ashamed."

But on Tuesday, Municipal Judge Patrick Dugan made a mockery of justice by declaring Josey not guilty of simple assault.

Posted

Judges and Cops........... I mean is this a serious question as to why?

Posted

Yeah, I don't know how any reasonable person could look at that and say "not guilty" of assault. She certainly wasn't doing anything threatening enough to get punched out... not that that's really an appropriate police technique anyway...

Posted

What were the reasons he was acquitted. What do you feel the reasons are that he was acquitted.

Posted

What were the reasons he was acquitted. What do you feel the reasons are that he was acquitted.

Apparently the defense (ie-bullshit story) was that the cop was trying to knock a beer out of the woman's hand (why? because he's a cop and stuff and such) and inadvertently hit her in the face.

hahahaha

anyhow, here's an article that explains this nonsense.

http://www.philly.co...xperts_say.html

Posted

what an amazing excuse.

Posted

Too uncoordinated to be a cop if the beer thing is his excuse. Just think if he had pulled his gun, no telling who he might have shot.

Posted

Was it a jury trial that acquitted him? Or, just the judge making a decree?

Because if there was not more to the story than what the video showed, I don't see how the guy was not found guilty of assault.

Posted

Because if there was not more to the story than what the video showed, I don't see how the guy was not found guilty of assault.

Just the judge. Simple assault doesn't require a 12 person jury.

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow....don't see how a sane person could say not guilty.

I imagine the judge will get a ton of public heat for this.

I am sure the woman said something to provoke him. But, his actions were WAY over the line.

I imagine she will file a civil suit.....and she should.

Posted

I wont say never but its got to be extraordinarily rare to empanel a jury for a simple assault.

Posted

It's not impossible that he was trying to slap a drink out of her hand. I think beyond a reasonable doubt comes into play. I'm guessing he would not have gotten jail time for this but community service and a fine.

He already lost his job which is punishment enough.