37 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,279 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I dont come into the Tinderbox much so sorry if there is a thread on this already but how in the world can this cop be acquited with such damning video evidence?

http://www.philly.co...n_the_face.html

WE'RE NOT STUPID. We know what we saw. And what we saw was a big, muscular cop cold-cock a small, unarmed woman who was moving away from him.

Lt. Jonathan Josey slugged Aida Guzman in the face with her back turned to him. As she fell to the ground, he hit her in the back, too. The video, shot by a bystander after last September's Puerto Rican Day Parade, caught it all, including Guzman's bloodied mouth as she was cuffed and led away.

After viewing the video, Philly Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey did the right thing and fired Josey.

District Attorney Seth Wiliams did the responsible thing and brought assault charges against him.

Mayor Nutter did the gracious thing and apologized to Guzman, on behalf of the city, for Josey's behavior, which left him feeling "appalled . . . sickened . . . and ashamed."

But on Tuesday, Municipal Judge Patrick Dugan made a mockery of justice by declaring Josey not guilty of simple assault.

#2 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Judges and Cops........... I mean is this a serious question as to why?

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,310 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, I don't know how any reasonable person could look at that and say "not guilty" of assault. She certainly wasn't doing anything threatening enough to get punched out... not that that's really an appropriate police technique anyway...

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

What were the reasons he was acquitted. What do you feel the reasons are that he was acquitted.

#5 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

What were the reasons he was acquitted. What do you feel the reasons are that he was acquitted.

Apparently the defense (ie-bullshit story) was that the cop was trying to knock a beer out of the woman's hand (why? because he's a cop and stuff and such) and inadvertently hit her in the face.

hahahaha

anyhow, here's an article that explains this nonsense.

http://www.philly.co...xperts_say.html

#6 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

what an amazing excuse.

#7 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Too uncoordinated to be a cop if the beer thing is his excuse. Just think if he had pulled his gun, no telling who he might have shot.

#8 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,943 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Was it a jury trial that acquitted him? Or, just the judge making a decree?

Because if there was not more to the story than what the video showed, I don't see how the guy was not found guilty of assault.

#9 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Because if there was not more to the story than what the video showed, I don't see how the guy was not found guilty of assault.

Just the judge. Simple assault doesn't require a 12 person jury.

#10 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,943 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Wow....don't see how a sane person could say not guilty.

I imagine the judge will get a ton of public heat for this.

I am sure the woman said something to provoke him. But, his actions were WAY over the line.

I imagine she will file a civil suit.....and she should.

#11 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

I wont say never but its got to be extraordinarily rare to empanel a jury for a simple assault.

#12 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

It's not impossible that he was trying to slap a drink out of her hand. I think beyond a reasonable doubt comes into play. I'm guessing he would not have gotten jail time for this but community service and a fine.

He already lost his job which is punishment enough.

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Video shows a dude throwing beer/liquid on the cops and the woman is coming from a direction generally the same as the fella retreated. Cop probably thought she was the one that did it and went to smack the beer/drink from her hand and "inadvertantly" hit her in the face. My honest opinion is that in a quick anger moment he wanted to smack the drink out and away from her face and if he happened to hit her...so be it. It is simple assault.

#14 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

My honest opinion is that in a quick anger moment he wanted to smack the drink out and away from her face and if he happened to hit her...so be it. It is simple assault.

No that is the point. To prove guilt in a simple assault case you have to prove he did it willfully and with intent.

If he hit her by accident it is not simple assault.

#15 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I know...I'm just saying he intended to "inadvertantely" smack the crap out of her...and knock a drink out of her hand in the process.

But hard to prove intent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com