Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Word

#17 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

take him out to where kids are playing and let him watch them!!! A new soccer player learning the game while watching Man U is like trying to teach your kid to drive by watching the Indy 500!

#18 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,638 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Lol good point

#19 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

It's not about learning to play the game, its to see how exciting the game can be played. This is as much for you SCP as it is your kid. If you can get into soccer, then it will help your son more in the long run. My dad previous to me playing had no real knowledge of the game, but when I got started he got into it. We watched games together, kicked the ball around a lot, he was even the coach on a lot of my teams. You being into soccer will make the time you guys spend together that much more enjoyable.

#20 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,822 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

For an 8 yr old its really about dribbling and spacing. Most kids that age crowd around the ball like its a dead body.

Don't sweat technique right now. 10 and up you can work on more.
I played from 8 to 20 so if you need help let me know.

I prefer coaching baseball but love soccer.

#21 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 19,638 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

For an 8 yr old its really about dribbling and spacing. Most kids that age crowd around the ball like its a dead body.

Don't sweat technique right now. 10 and up you can work on more.
I played from 8 to 20 so if you need help let me know.

I prefer coaching baseball but love soccer.

I'm not quite sure what you guys mean by spacing. Are you talking about between the wings and center or are you referring to his position as an individual with the ball versus a defender?

#22 SuperLego5

SuperLego5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Spacing is more important when you don't have the ball. If your team has the ball, find a big bit of space between the oppositions midfield and defence (assuming your son is a forward/midfielder) and standing there, makes him an easy target to pass to and he has loads of time to make a decision once he gets the ball. If he's a defender then preventing this space from appearing is the best way to defend (at his level). The only way to improve spacing is to play/watch loads of soccer, once you get a feel for the game you get a better idea of where to stand.

Soccer is like football, learn the fundamentals, get good at them then increase the speed you are doing them at.

#23 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 19,638 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ok, now I understand what you mean.

#24 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Spacing only important if your teammates are capable of passing the ball.

He's only 8, just teach him to kick it hard and somewhat accurately. Thats all kids want to do at that age anyways, just make sure he has good form when he kicks it (should be like an NFL kicker)

#25 SuperLego5

SuperLego5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

One of the first bits of technique I ever learned that still sticks with me is to strike to ball cleanly, lean slightly over the ball as you're hitting it, with your standing foot a couple of inches to the side of the ball pointing where you want to hit it. If you line up like that and strike the through the ball with your laces you will hit a decent shot. This keeps your shots low, powerful and relatively accurate. Obviously the more practice the better you get.

#26 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

disagree myself...teach the proper technique as early as possible I say.

yes on the spacing a little...but if he's 8...he'll never get to practice the spacing. Watch 8 year olds play...it's a swarm of kids with a ball stuck somewhere in the middle

#27 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,822 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

i say spacing early because of developing his instincts and feel for the game now, as opposed to later. the kicking properly and throw in's will be taught.

much like teaching a kid how to play golf. let them try in their own way first, then from there you introduce methods that accent the way they play. if you try to teach some things from the ground up, its not owned by the kid as much.

the other reason for spacing is because of the bunching up of kids. there is a reason thats so common at that age. kids who spread out and then give lanes for passing and just let speed take over do very well at that level.

#28 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,705 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

If he loves the game wait until he joins an AYSO league.
Psycho parents and incompetent Refs are not a good combination.
My golf Buddy and his wife used to be League Directors and sometimes I'd go hang with him on game days while he was overseeing games, plus my daughter played.
Holy shyt, never a dull moment.

#29 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,160 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

soccer is a man's game. Like for real

#30 CarolinaKid704

CarolinaKid704

C***

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Anything you can teach him to make him know that using both legs to shoot, pass, control the ball. Juggling would be a good game to end on. You lob the ball to his head, chest, thigh and feet. Maybe to start out with he just tries to head it or kick it back to your hands. But as time goes on he should be able to settle the ball to his strong side leg/thigh and get a couple repetitions in before kicking it back to you.

Your probably not gonna like how the game is played at this level but in a couple years get him in a upper division and you'll see how the game is coached and how the players think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.