Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,098 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Can they do that?

http://www.nytimes.c...e-ban.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration will throw its support behind a broad claim for marriage equality, urging the Supreme Court to rule that voters in California were not entitled to ban same-sex marriage there, according to an administration official.

The federal government is not a party to the case, Hollingsworth v. Perry, No. 12-144, and was not required to take a position in it. But the lawyers who filed the challenge, Theodore B. Olson and David Boies, along with gay rights groups, lobbied hard for the brief, saying the administration could not stay silent on the issue.

The broad outlines of the administration’s position were not a surprise, given that it filed a brief last week in a same-sex marriage case in which it is a party, United States v. Windsor, No. 12-307. But that case presents only the narrower question of the constitutionality of part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act of 1996, which defines marriage as the union of a man and a woman for the purposes of more than 1,000 federal laws and regulations.

The Supreme Court’s ruling in the Defense of Marriage Act case will at most decide whether the federal government can discriminate against same-sex couples even if they married in states that allow such unions. Nine states and the District of Columbia allow same-sex marriage.

The case from California presents the broader question of whether there is a constitutional right to same-sex marriage in the states that do not allow it, which is why the new brief is significant. It is hardly certain, however, that the Supreme Court will end up deciding that broad question. The court may well avoid the issue on technical grounds or rule in a way that applies only to California.

#2 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

what... urge them?

#3 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,098 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

yeah. Separation of powers and so forth.

#4 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

yeah. Separation of powers and so forth.

this has happened before, i can't remember who it was or what the case was but i remember having the same WTF reaction... Evidently they can and i guess it would be naive to think they wouldn't otherwise... that said, I don't think it has much affect... might even be detrimental.

#5 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

They can definitely urge, suggest, implore, etc...

They just can't force.

#6 d-run

d-run

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

He filed a "friend of the court" brief which can be filed by pretty much anyone.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Amicus_curiae

#7 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

They can, and they should.

#8 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Why only Cali? Seems weird that he would target only a single state.

#9 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,435 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Why only Cali? Seems weird that he would target only a single state.

It is one of the most accepting states. It's like a domino affect. Start where there is strong support and watch the dominoes fall. That's the way i see it anyway.

#10 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

HaHa
Separation of Powers

Where have you guys been? Obama does not need the Senate, nor House, to govern. Biden is leaning on state legislatures also, so much for states rights.

The leftist in centrist clothing strikes again.

#11 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

HaHa
Separation of Powers

Where have you guys been? Obama does not need the Senate, nor House, to govern. Biden is leaning on state legislatures also, so much for states rights.

The leftist in centrist clothing strikes again.

Really? Because from my admittedly leftist position on this issue, it seems that Obama is continuing his policy of giving lip service to the idea of gay marriage while doing nothing substantial to further the cause

#12 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Really? Because from my admittedly leftist position on this issue, it seems that Obama is continuing his policy of giving lip service to the idea of gay marriage while doing nothing substantial to further the cause

Our government is not run by ONE person. We do/did have a system of government. It is why we have elections. Just because one guy wants something(which is also a change from how he began), it does not mean he gets it if the voters, legislature, courts and all are not with him.

Sorry to say, but lip service is all he can give, unless......

#13 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Our government is not run by ONE person. We do/did have a system of government. It is why we have elections. Just because one guy wants something(which is also a change from how he began), it does not mean he gets it if the voters, legislature, courts and all are not with him.

Sorry to say, but lip service is all he can give, unless......

Yes, Obama is the only person who supports gay marriage.

Guess what? I dont think civil rights should be subject to a vote by voters, legislators, or courts. Its embarrassing that we are still having this discussion, but I suppose we will just have to wait until some more stubborn old people die before we can get on the right side of history.

Again- I'm not defending Obama on this one. He should be going through all possible channels to change these laws, but so far he is just suggesting things

#14 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Was not specific to the gay marriage issue, but the way he has tried to govern without Congress, without budgets, etc.

#15 Verge

Verge

Huddle Captain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

It's sad that this is even an issue anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com