• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Recently I've watched a couple of specials on ESPN, dealing with the state of black athletes and coaching in sports. (With it being black history month, and today's the last day of February by the way) ^_^ In one of the segments, they were talking on the lack of black coaches (I can't remember if they were mainly talking college football or basketball), how universities are afraid of hiring black coaches because they feel like the money won't be coming in by the boosters and alumni. Now the reason why I bring this up, is because I'm tired of hearing these same problems in this day and age. You would think we've come a long way from the past, and we have. Yet some of these things are taking too long to get right for a lack of better words, and we still look at each other as black and white first, instead of a person first.

So we talk about putting in rules to increase the presence of black coaches, and we talk about strengthening the Rooney rule for the NFL. We still have things like affirmative action in the business world and in colleges. These rules came to be for a reason, and that reason is valid, could still be. (I wonder what would happen if we remove those rules? Would everything return to how it was?) Yet all in all, these rules won't solve this kind of problem. I'm reminded by something my dad once told me. He was drafted into the military during the time of the Vietnam war. They didn't call his name to the battlefield however, but stationed him in Germany. While there, of course by this time the army was intergrated, he lived in bunks with his white comrades. At first, they were all on edge with one another, asking each other questions, some being offensive from both sides of the ethnicity boundary. Yet after a while, they became brothers. So with all that said, it's one thing for someone to be racist or just prejudice from a distance, but when you live with the person, you come to find out we are just the same. So this brings me to my suggestion that would solve things like a lack of black coaches (and not just black but moreso east asian, hispanic, middle-eastern descent coaches as well) or in all professions of US society...

We should encourage interracial relationships! I don't just mean saying there is nothing wrong with interracial relationships, but we should outright encourage it to happen all the more. If every family in the US had close relatives who were a different skin tone than they, we would then be more inviting to people of different ethnicities we see everyday. People at the top would consider hiring coaches of different ethnicities, because they can now relate to that person. In other words they can look at that person as themselves first, rather than just seeing their skin tone first because they will see that person like they see their close relative. I mean how can you be prejudice if you have a white grandfather, a black uncle, an east asian cousin, an arab mother, and a latin nephew? I mean you could, but there will definitely be a lot less racism in the US.

Not to mention you would be mixing every culture of the world together. In the US, you will have people speaking 6 different languages, people eating all kinds of food from all over the world, and personally claiming all of it as our own. We would be the only official country in the world who could say, the country itself belongs to all ethnic groups. (By comparison China is for the Chinese, all the european countries are for those of european descent, and so forth. I'm not saying people of other ethnicities can't live there and call it their home, or anything like that. Yet if you asked me to describe a certain person, and I told you they were french, you wouldn't be thinking of a black person would you? It's different for the US) So this is my plan to end most racism or prejudice in general, because from a natural standpoint, we are all prejudice to a degree.

Again, I'm not just saying we should just say it's okay for persons of different backgrounds to engage in romantic relationships, I'm saying we should downright encourage it to happen. The more it happens, the faster we will see positive change in equality. Think about it, we know our misguided ancestors didn't want the races to mix, and they at one point thought the black ethnicity was sub human. Today we don't see that, we are more educated today but we still have the fear of mixing it up. We also have people who come from other countries to begin a new life here, yet they don't want their children to marry someone who is not of their background. The idea of encouraging interracial relationships and ultimately marriage, would break down all these walls, so we can finally understand one another. We will live with one another, and just like my dad and his comrades in the military, we will receive one another as family.

#2 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

There is already scientific calculations that in the next one hundred years the United States will be made up of mosty mixed people.

#3 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

They don't call America the melting pot for nothing.

And I agree. Eventually (not only in America) but the entire world will one day consist of one race. Eventually every ethnicity will mix. That would be pretty awesome to be a part of that. ( although us or our great x 20 grand kids) will never see it, but it's slowly becoming reality. The present is only the beginning of what will eventually become a one global race.

#4 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

When I was a squad leader I had two soldier who roomed together. They were new to the Army, one was from west Baltimore and the other from Idaho. Until basic training none of them ever interacted with other races, They became brothers, especially after going to war in Iraq.

Btw, this also works for other situations. We had two soldier who we knew were gay but we didn't care

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,547 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

This is how it always works. Everyday interaction brings down so many walls.

#6 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

On a more personal note, I believe the USA can be a shining example to the rest of the world, of how to come together. I personally could care less about being (as far as economic, technology, and things of that nature) the best country in the world, but more so about being an example to the world to follow. There are people who suffer all over the world, mostly because their countries aren't as economically and technologically sound as ours. For the sake of the people, I want their countries to be just as sound as ours or better. I want America to set that example.

But yeah, America has some real potential here with breaking down barriers that have been up for hundreds of years. If you look at our demographics, it's something special. I haven't done great study into this, but I'm willing to bet there is no other country that has so much of a diverse population as ours, someone correct me if I'm wrong. We've already been something special in our history despite all the our problems, but we have way more potential just waiting to explode out of us. Of course a few of you know my religious beliefs. I believe we are living in the last days, according to Christian doctrine. I don't want to die or leave this place, the same way I've seen it for most of my life. (With all these boundaries and such) I want to see a good bit of this kind of change before I go. I guess this is a expectation of mine before everything is said and done. B)

#7 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,916 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

There is already scientific calculations that in the next one hundred years the United States will be made up of mosty mixed people.

And they are absurd.

#8 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Go get a DNA test. We're all pretty mixed already.

#9 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

the whities are even part neanderthal!

#10 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

the best way to kill off racism is to just stop talking about racism!

#11 DC Amp

DC Amp

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,408 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Muhammad Ali - Racial Integration~~~~~~~~~~~Preach on brother!

#12 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

not an mlk guy i see

#13 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,326 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Personally I think it's the exact opposite.

The US in particular is in an age of neo-diversity and people are confused on how to react/interact with others of different races/ethnicities/sexual orientations/etc. Prejudice and bigotry are, and always will be alive. Racism itself (institutionalized bigotry, the word racism is misused like crazy) has improved and strides have been made. Prejudices are held and bigots act out due to confusion, anxieties, etc. about interacting with someone different from them. Until the nation is able to have a open and honest talk with one another, realize there are NO innocent, realize that people saying stupid stuff like "I don't see color" are stupid, etc., then changes won't be fully made and anxieties will continue to exist. Exposure to different people, as well as open and honest self-disclosures among each other to gain at least a tolerance or respect for those different than yourself, is the only thing that will end prejudice/bigotry.

#14 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Muhammad Ali - Racial Integration~~~~~~~~~~~Preach on brother!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiWFLsgVi4

It's interesting because most people think you would be losing culture if you began mixing them. For one, we have history books. Every culture is recorded in them, so unless we began burning the books like many of our ancestors have done in the past, we won't lose a thing. Secondly, speaking on the standpoint of the african slaves losing their ancestral culture and making a new one, we can make a new culture from the mix. We can make an original US culture, that claims all cultures as their own. Then people from all over the world will be looking at us, and began asking questions about themselves. All in an effort to change the world. I really want to see this go down in my day.

#15 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

guess my point is that if everything is constantly race race race, then racism will never die. If it's always in your face!

I'm not stupid to think that people don't see the color...I just think there's a time that people don't have to react differently due to it!

Canada is a racial melting pot and yes we have our stereotypes and our race issues...but I think because we are so much more blended for such a long time...we don't have the same race issues. Just my opinion of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com