• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• LocationHouston Texas
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

As a neuropsychologist, I find this is a gross oversimplification of basic cerebellar function, limbic system function, and frontal lobe/executive function. Also the ideas behind conscious and unconscious skill development are more attributable to the cerebellar functions of muscle memory performed by the cerebellum as well as attributes like processing speed, thought inhibition, and divided attention that are cerebral functions. In no way does learning and mastering a skill move it's "housing" down to the brainstem layer or anywhere other than where it's operation takes place. As for emotion, what I would hypothesis is happening is stress and the affects of stress on our neurotransmitters and hormones like serotonin, dopamine, noradrenalin and cortisol. How do these transmitters affect processing speed, divided attention etc.

#12 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• LocationHouston Texas
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Teeray, have you ever read a book called Blink by Malcome Gladwell? I think it is applicable to poker though not intended for that purpose

#13 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationAt the lake
HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

The concept of unconscious competence as it relates to emotions and confidence doesn't really apply IMO. I think it does apply to skill development and physical competence like muscle memory on the physical end of things. And you could stretch it to include develops better recognition of defenses and knowing where the weaknesses are. Knowing where to throw the ball and where the matches favor you. Repetition in practice against the scout team so when he sees it in the game, he has some previous familiarity which how to attack it. I would claim that this is really more in the arena of conscious competent than in the unconscious competence. And I would not agree that being confident in a situation is a function of unconscious competence or automatic response. Emotions aren't automatic and don't exist outside of context. Thoughts and cognitions shape our emotions which are best mastered when we manage them through positive self talk bolstered by experiential success. Success reinforces your confidence as you feel competent to handle a situation or solve the dilemma. Your confidence or feeling of competence are conscious and ever changing as the game unfolds and you experience continued success or failure. Your thoughts about the circumstance within which you are operating dictate how much stress or anxiety you experience based on how you feel about your competence to overcome the challenges..

I think that the concept of choking" or having the "yips" like he did against Seattle when he alligator armed that throw in the endzone is totally in the conscious realm or at least should be. The issue of "clutchness" is really more psychological than it is physical. A matter of emotional maturiity more than unconscious competence. Newton is a physical phenom and a quick study such that skills are not really the issue. That short armed throw against Seattle had nothing to do with muscle memory or automatic response. It is the same reason that Smitty said the wide open passes are the hardest to catch. Football is largely mental and emotional. You maximize your ability by controlling and harnessing your emotions. If you can't or don't, you struggle because at critical situations you panic or choke and make poor decisions which can't be overcome by physical skill.

There is a whole area of psychology called rational emotive thinking concerned with explaining how thinking controls our emotions which then influence our behaviors. Cam struggled because he didn't feel competent running Chud's very complicated offense. He was required to think more which slowed his reactions which allowed the defense to react.. As we simplified the scheme he could think quicker, have less to key on so he could react faster more automatically. As this improves in efficiency with repetition it appears unconscious and automatic but it isn't. When you couple indecision and poor success with moodiness and negative thinking and it is perfectly understandable why he has struggled at times. He had to modify his thinking to control his emotions soo he could continue to develop emotionally as well as technically and physically.

#14 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• LocationFLORIDA
HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

so this is all about cam being clutch. i don't see much wrong with the guy in clutch time. lot of times he drives down the feild and just cant get it in at the last minute. i think he needs more weapons and better play calling in the 4th quarter. also the defense never helped out in tough situations.

i think newton is talked about bad because he is on the worst team in the nfl. thats where the no1 pick goes so i give him an A+ because this dude could have gave up because sometimes its looks like the panthers move.....a little slow and don't make the best choices when it comes to picking players and coaches. newton has zero defense when it matters...i looked up stats.... against manning they are bad....against palmer they are good.....against quinn they are bad lol the defense is just too wishy washy....to be called a great d. the d line is getting real good though...everything else is below avg. sorry.

most important he needs an oline....of course you are not going to do good in clutch times when you cant have time to throw...like i said before manning and brady have time to THROW.....joe flacco was sitting back most of that playoff comeback to win....he had time for jones to run ALL the way down field then throw....GIVE NEWTON A STOUT OLINE AND YOU WILL SEE SUPER MAN PRIME.

#15 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'd destroy you in poker.

That is all.

#16 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• LocationAsheville, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image

The best meme of the year dude, I open this thread and read it everytime before going to the last response.

#17 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• LocationCape Fear Area
HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

OP hit the bullseye, this applies to any job or skill.

#18 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

OP hit the bullseye, this applies to any job or skill.

And Halo 4.

#19 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• LocationCape Fear Area
HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

And Halo 4.

Indeed. My BO2 KDR has been going up a lot the more I figure things out about timing and how people are likely going to move/camping spots and such.

#20 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Teeray, have you ever read a book called Blink by Malcome Gladwell? I think it is applicable to poker though not intended for that purpose

No I haven't. Before reading this book I hadn't ever really thought azbout this side of it. I do have "The Psychology of Poker" and "The Theory of Poker" both by David Skylansky, as well as "Zen and the Art of Poker" and ""The Tao of Poker" by Larry Phillips. But none of those things really dealt with the things that "The Mental Game of Poker" deals with which is actually developing your mind to better understand it and how it affects your poker game. Those other book's titles don't really live up to the content of those books, although "The Theory of Poker" is a must read for any poker player IMO.

I will look into Blink though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users