142 replies to this topic

#1 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

After reading another thread about the new bible series I got to thinking. (I know, i know my first mistake)

How does the average white Christian, or Jew feel about the portrayal of whites as ancient biblical figures? Are you aware of the truth? Would you buy a picture of a non blue eyed Jesus? Or even an African one. Does that come up in conversation amongst church or synagogue mates.

Most will say that they don't care or it is not important but don't take the easy way out. Honest answers please. Remember GOD knows your heart and I will not bash you for your beliefs.

From here after is editing after the first two pages of mocking comments.

When speaking of ancient people, we commonly mix scripture with history. But lets separate them for a second.

The scripture tells us that the Hebrew people originated in and around what is now southern Israel and moved to Egypt at the behest of Jacob to escape famine. Meaning they originated in what is now Jordan and northern Saudi Arabia.

In the Bible there are many references to how the Hebrew/Israelites were often mistaken for or looked like Egyptians.

Acts 21:38 Paul mistaken for an Egyptian

Exodus 2:16-19 The priest of Midian speaking to his daughters about Moses watering their flock.

Matthew 2:13 Angel of the Lord tells Joseph to take Jesus and Mary and hide in Egypt.

So now to history. There is no record of who the Iraelites were until after the Exodus, but the wars fought along the way to Jerusalem are well documented.

Now when people think of a middle eastern man or woman they think of what they see today on tv. Light-brown skinned people with generally straight black hair. We agree that they were in Egypt and that they looked like Egyptians or middle easterners but how did the people of the area describe themselves

Attached File  0-Ancient-Egyptian-carpet-style-in-sand-original-oil-painting.jpg   102.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  70b4ec1e-a95c-4c10-b205-963a4a2f3edf.jpg   211.01KB   0 downloadsAttached File  img1gr8.jpg   473.06KB   0 downloadsAttached File  seti1.jpg   50.23KB   1 downloads

These are all pictures from the time of Seti I who is commonly recognized as the pharoah of the old testament. Now the Egyptians had a great ability to mix colors and could have easily described themselves as lighter skinned people if they so chose as evidenced by the the instances of both very dark and very light people throughout all their artwork. But when they describe themselves the use that deep brown tone. Post Roman Empire saw a different mix of colors in the artwork.

Below is an ancient Sumerian depictian of a man and a bull
Attached File  pic-one3.jpg   181.19KB   3 downloads
That was how the middle easterners described themselves.

Below you will find a picture of a modern Egyptian from the lower(northern) Egypt
Attached File  0121-OLADYGUARD-Egyptian-female-bodyguards-full_full_600.jpg   55.62KB   5 downloads

Below are pictures of modern Ethiopians and modern Egyptians that do not live near Cairo.
Attached File  ethiopian_beauty_02.jpg   154.46KB   5 downloadsAttached File  ethiopian-women.jpg   20.98KB   4 downloadsAttached File  4582243129_2e8e061be5_z.jpg   127.36KB   3 downloads

Think about it. It is commonly accepted that Black people are black because of a reaction to the Sun causing an increase in melanin. Well the middle east is among the hottest and most sun drenched places on earth. It would not be possible for a lighter skinned race to survive without relatively modern comforts or ways to protect themselves from the sun. They would burn up and likely die out from cancer in just a few generations.

Attached Files

#2 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

0.5/10

#3 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Jews woodn't buy a picture of Jesus... duh

#4 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

This topic is always met with ridicule and mocking. It is truly a sensitive subject to all, even the non Christians or non Jewish. I understand. The majority of Americans were raised on the Bible or Torah and the majority of America is Caucasian. With the complex racial history in America, a certain "whitewashing" of history has occurred that is hard to break. But if it is important to you, then it should be important to know the truth and you should not be afraid of it. Mock if you must but mocking something is a sign of weakness and more specifically a weak mind.

#5 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

It isn't sensitive to me because I realize white American religious fanatics are fuging stupid in general.

A sign of a weak mind is blind faith in an omnipotent trinity, if you want to get all technical and poo...

#6 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

...and also, you obviously missed the PUNchline in my first statement...

#7 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

The discussion on the validity of religion or the existence of a creator is a conversation for another post. My question is for those that believe or otherwise hold this particular history sacred.

#8 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,699 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Jesus was Asian !!

#9 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

And no, I got it just fine, but I included Christians and Jews ( basically anyone that holds sacred the history of the Israelites) and some of them would have pictures of Jesus. Besides Christians, their are people called Messianic Jews.

#10 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,131 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

next you're going to tell me jesus didn't speak in king james english

#NIVisthedevil

#11 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

Jesus was Asian !!

Are you being serious?

#12 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,699 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Are you being serious?

Would you prefer Pacific Islander ?

#13 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

So basically you want to know why white people have no problem making Jesus white, but you don't understand why Messianic Jews came into being in the first place.

The simple answer is - to have more members in your clique. For both cases.

#14 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Remember GOD knows your heart and I will not bash you for your beliefs.

but somehow

The discussion on the validity of religion or the existence of a creator is a conversation for another post.

Should I go make a thread about fantasy literature, like the Hobbit, and ask people why they are okay with all the characters being white?

#15 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

but somehow

Should I go make a thread about fantasy literature, like the Hobbit, and ask people why they are okay with all the characters being white?

Reread the rest of that particular post, if you dont believe you really have nothing to contribute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com