Photo
- - - - -

Need a history expert here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#25 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

*Amid the battle for American independence and the struggle to invent a federal government, American Revolutionary leaders and intellectuals sought also to create an American culture that would unify a territory of immense regional, ethnic, and religious diversity. In a sophisticated, yet accessible, interpretive narrative, Eve Kornfeld examines the efforts of Noah Webster, Benjamin Rush, George Washington, Judith Sargent Murray, David Ramsay, Mercy Otis Warren, and others to invent a national literature, narrate a story of nationhood, and educate a diverse people for virtuous republican citizenship. Among the 31 documents following the narrative are early attempts at American epic poetry, excerpts from the first narrative histories of the United States, and commentaries on the place of women and Indians in national life. Headnotes to the documents, reproductions of early paintings and portraits, a chronology, questions for consideration, a bibliography, and an index are also included

** Now go do your homework

The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it........................

#26 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it........................

"But you can't believe everything you've read on the internet, says the person who read that on the internet."

#27 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Its the off season and this is urgent cause I need to write a 5 page paper on this topic. I might get flamed for this but I need help answering this question:

To what extent were the intellectuals of the Revolutionary generation successful in their attempts to create a strong, unified, republican American culture between 1775 and 1800?

What effect did their efforts have on the course of American history?

Is their dream of American cultural unity still alive today?

and who in the hell in there right mind would ever want Louis Murphy back in a Panthers uni?

PIE will be given

I think it's important to remember that the "intellectuals of the Revolutionary generation" were not necessarily a unified ideological group. Like intellectuals today, they disagreed on the proper size and scope of the central government. That said, I suspect few people of the time imagined that the founding documents they wrote and the government they created would stand for as long as it has.

The feeling of belonging to one unified nation was largely solidified, I think, by the war of 1812, westward expansion and the war with Mexico. Though obviously both the intellectuals of the Revolutionary period and the experience of the revolution itself helped.

I'm not actually a historian, I'm an economics major who dabbles in history, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

What's wrong with Louis Murphy being on the team? I don't want to count on him as a starter, but he has value as a backup receiver.

#28 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

compare and contrast the articles of confederation and the constitution. that should fill about 5 pages alone.

#29 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

also, dive into the federalist papers. that's true newspaper, ground up, common american ideals right there.

#30 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I love it when people on the Internet try and act smart; especially when you look at their screen names.

#31 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Seriously?