Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers schedule workout with Missouri linebacker Zaviar Gooden

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Link: http://www.sbnation....ooden-nfl-draft

Linebacker Zaviar Gooden once again shined. He dominated the NFL Combine, running faster than any linebacker in attendance. His three-cone time and shuttle times were tops at well. He didn't have a ton to prove, but he worked out anyways. Gooden improved his vertical jump to 38.5 inches from 34 inches. He then flashed in positional drills and generated a buzz amongst the crowd in attendance. He has workouts scheduled with the Panthers, Patriots and Bears.

Obviously Gooden has risen up the draft boards due to his workouts and right now he is slotted to go in the third round. If for some reason the Panthers felt the need to take Gooden, they would have one of the fastest linebacker corps in the NFL with Gooden and Kuechly.

Posted

Rather spend a 3rd in the trenches.

Assuming of course we had a 3rd.

Posted

Agree, we always screw the pooch when it comes to getting that third or second rounder.

Posted

He's expected to be a fourth right now by most sites fwiw. Really fast, raw but decent coverage. Solid strength to fight off blocks, and great flexibility. He overruns plays due to aggressiveness, and reacts slow to the run.

Posted

ha...just put him up yesterday.....they do need a olb.

gooden is very speedy but over pursues alot........

Posted

Not interested. We don't have much need for another outside linebacker, and while athletic he's very small and very raw. Let some other team try and make a project out of him.

Posted

I wouldn't want the Panthers to look that way until the 5th round.

Not b/c he is a bad player,but b/c we have need for impact at other positions more.

Posted

I guess the Panthers are just doing due diligence and exploring all options.

Posted

^^ yeah me too. still a need though....unless it some other position responsible for stopping the run...lol

Posted

Since he is on the smallish size and is a former safety, any chance we take him and move back to safety?

Posted

I think we also scheduled workouts with Allen and David Amerson as well

Posted

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we could take a guy like Gooden. Remember we have a lot money tied to Beason, Anderson, TD. One of those guys will very likely be gone next offseason, if not this one. Beason and TD also have their own inury histories.